Quantcast

How do I know what resolution is being displayed?

Mark Tiede

Question

So I got an Xbox One X which has games that display 4k.  And also the YouTube app displays 4k videos.  How do I know that I have everything set up correctly and the TV is ACTUALLY displaying 4k video mode?

Sometimes even HD looks really good and I haven't watched 4k stuff to know if I'm really seeing it.

It would be nice if there were an option in the TV for displaying the actual resolution in the corner or something.  I tried to set things up through my Denon AVR X2000 receiver and the Xbox complained about the TV not being able to do 4k.  I don't know if I had something set up wrong or not, so I just hooked the Xbox up to the TV in hdmi 1.  And I think the Xbox THINKS it is now capable of at least SOME 4k, but it would be nice to verify that the TV is doing what I think it is doing.

Anybody know an app or something that would help?

oh, I DID see a "+HDR" on the screen for a moment at some point.  Don't remember what triggered it nor how to get it to display it again.

16 answers to this question

Pick up your magic remote.  Shake it until you get a pointer on the tv screen.  Press the little scroll wheel button down.  This should display the input source in the upper left corner such as "HDMI1".  Then motion with the remote until the pointer is over that "HDMI1" and press the little scroll wheel again.  That should show the information about that source.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ah, I got it.  I don't usually use the LG remote since I have the Logitech Harmony Elite to control all my devices, but apparently there is one thing it may do that the Elite does not.  If I click on the picture, then the SOURCE shows up in the upper left corner.  If I click THAT, then it shows the actual resolution, hdr, etc. 

THAT was what I was looking for!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, Mark Tiede said:

Pick up your magic remote.  Shake it until you get a pointer on the tv screen.  Press the little scroll wheel button down.  This should display the input source in the upper left corner such as "HDMI1".  Then motion with the remote until the pointer is over that "HDMI1" and press the little scroll wheel again.  That should show the information about that source.

Just registered to thank you. This works! (as mentioned, with external sources only, but that's what I was looking for)

No idea about any other TVs and Remotes other than my own.  The magic remote should show an arrow on the screen when you pick it up.  If you don't see it, usually shaking the remote will "wake" it up.  If you don't have a magic remote, I don't know how it works.  See if you can find the manual.

7 hours ago, Mark Tiede said:

No idea about any other TVs and Remotes other than my own.  The magic remote should show an arrow on the screen when you pick it up.  If you don't see it, usually shaking the remote will "wake" it up.  If you don't have a magic remote, I don't know how it works.  See if you can find the manual.

I have a magic remote and the arrow shows up. But then what? There is no input source in the upper right corner. 

The manual is pretty useless. 

Newbie,

Did you follow the other steps?

"Pick up your magic remote.  Shake it until you get a pointer on the tv screen.  Press the little scroll wheel button down.  This should display the input source in the upper left corner such as "HDMI1".  Then motion with the remote until the pointer is over that "HDMI1" and press the little scroll wheel again.  That should show the information about that source."

This assumes that the "input source" is something external, like HDMI2, for instance.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:22 AM, kaspee said:

When I watch a 4k video and I use the magic remote to see the resolution it says 2160p and nok 4k, does anyone know if my settings are wrong?

Resolution is in 2 directions,  vertical and horizontal.  Standard "4k" is 3840 x 2160 (tall x wide).  So the 3840 is nearly 4,000 hence the 4k (a generous round off and probably a misuse of the "k" which usually means 1024).   

So the 2160p means how many pixels of vertical resolution (the TALL direction).  The p means "progressive" as opposed to interlaced.  In the old days, every other line of resolution was scanned on each scan of the screen.  Now electronics are fast enough and pixels stay illuminated long enough that it makes all 2160 lines in one scan.  

So it sounds like you ARE watching 4k.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By dolbnya
      I have a mediaplayer connected to my TV OLED55C6V through HDMI. For every video playback the player tries to select an output HDMI signal format automatically depending on both video framerate/resolution and framerate/resolution supported by the connected TV to show the video as close to original as possible with the TV without any scaling. And here I have a problem: the maximum resolution the player selects is 1080p despite of the videofile has resolution 4k and the TV supports playback of the input signal up to 4K60p. I can change the output signal resolution on the player manually after blayback starting and it works, but it's not convenient. As far as I know the only way of getting information about videosignal format supported by TV for the player is EDID on HDMI channel. So is it possible to fix the issue? Maybe some hidden setting in TV could change the version of EDID?
    • By bucksears
      I bought a new LG 43uq7590pub (43" 4K UHD) TV three months ago, with the intent of using it as a computer monitor.
      Configuration is as follows:
      Running it in Gaming Mode Computer is set for 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) Connected via HDMI cable to my computer (don't have the cable stats in front of me) Computer's video card is set to a 60Hz refresh rate When watching streaming videos from the local computer (YouTube, MAX, Netflix, etc), the TV will randomly go black and restart. There is no warning (audio/video slowdowns or distortions/glitches) before it does so. After restarting, it continues to run normally. Anything over 30-45min and it will likely restart.  
      I'm not using wifi/internet locally on the TV, so that is not (or shouldn't be) the issue. 
      I'm wondering if running the computer's video AND audio over the HDMI cable is too much for the TV, and that's causing the restarts after a while. I have a separate MIDI/audio interface that I usually run the computer's audio OUT of, to a pair of external speakers. This is a whole new computer setup, so I don't have that in place yet; just wondering if taking that workload OFF of the TV/HDMI might help.
      Are there any event logs within the TV OS that might indicate what is happening?
      Anyone else experience anything similar? 
    • By News Reporter
      At the start of every year, almost everybody in the tech world gathers in Las Vegas to show off their newest products, technologies and concepts at CES, the world’s biggest consumer electronics show. This year, participating companies were determined to demonstrate how their innovative products and solutions help solve some of Earth’s greatest challenges and change the lives of thousands, if not millions, for the better.
      Inspired by its belief that the answer is always with the customer, LG showcased its most advanced customer-centered innovations that provide entirely new value and convenience to its customers. Here are the five tech keywords for 2023 which cover the areas of personalization, sustainability and virtual reality.

Me, Myself and I
      With far more people inclined to seek a living space that fully matches their personality, leading consumer electronics companies are rethinking their product development approach in order to build appliances that not only possess excellent features, but also blend effortlessly into various home interiors.
      With this new attitude also comes a greater demand for personalized viewing experiences, especially as people spend more time at home since the onset of the pandemic. That’s why every TV being released is now equipped with an operating system that employs all kinds of features that help individuals find their perfect show instantly with next to no effort on their part.

Future of Mobility
      Major car makers are shifting their production to electric vehicles and joining top-tier tech software companies to reimagine what a car could and should do in the future. The growing importance of the in-vehicle experience is transforming the future of automobility.
      LG’s Vehicle component Solutions Company is committed to enhancing the driving experience through its expertise and know-how of vehicle parts technologies, so that its customers can develop advanced car models that make the journey more entertaining, easier and, most importantly, safer.

Lifestyle Devices for Healthier Life
      After living with the pandemic for so long, people are now more concerned with their health than ever before. Under these renewed circumstances, people desire lifestyle devices and solutions that can empower them to take control of their health care and wellbeing while lowering costs at home.
      In line with this trend, lifestyle devices and solutions with digital health technologies will stand out for these growingly discerning customers, who are willing to pay more for products that seem to be made for their healthier lives.

Sustainable Living
      For everyone who attended or followed this year’s CES, it was clear that sustainability was a major focus. More and more companies, regardless of size and industry, are ranking sustainability higher on their business agendas, which means more companies are inventing products and services with various eco-friendly and accessible features.
      LG showcased the company’s ESG vision in an exclusive exhibit through the Better Life for All zone at CES 2023, introducing a comprehensive overview of LG’s sustainability efforts.

Be in It
      With the metaverse still deemed to be the future for tech, especially in the gaming industry, more and more people want cutting-edge devices that can make images or sounds that appear far more lifelike than today.
      Driven by growing expectations and demand for a greater sense of reality, more innovative products that help users feel fully immersed in the digital environment will be further thrust into the spotlight in 2023.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By George Johnson
      Recently when I view an MP4 in a 4.3 format, the picture is being stretched to fill the screen thereby distorting the picture by making it wide. The setting is at original, and in a input MP4 video mode, there is only one selection (original). So I assume that the 4.3 will show up as 4.3 with black bars on both sides, but nope.... How do I turn off the stretch feature? My unit is a OLED65C9PUA and my PM4's are on an external drive plugged into the USB port.
    • By styopa
      I moments ago was watching the linked youtube.
      Highest resolution on my desktop 1080p
      Highest resolution offered on my LG CX (whether wired or wireless) 360p.
      Desktop and LG tv are about 8' apart.  Using same wifi/router (connected to 1gig/1gig fiber).   LG tv fully updated.
      Any idea why LG youtube app is so terrible?

Thanks for any advice.