Quantcast

GoPro on USB port the TV only sees pics and not movies

nmb1970

Question

Hi,

Just got an LG 55UJ630V and I'm quite pleased. but yesterday tried connecting my gopro directly with usb cable and the tv only sees photos and not movies.

The GoPro records .MP4 h264 clips so the format is not a problem.

If I copy the .mp4 files to a pen drive the tv sees them ok.

Getting the GoPro microSD on a card reader does not work cause the GoPro formats 64GB cards in exFat format.

I know that the gopro usb connection is not usb mass storage device but PTP. but it should work anyway...

Any tips?

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, PeterV said:

I think the format of the GoPro microSD card is the problem.

For a test you could try using a smaller microSD card and format it in FAT32. See if that works.

I already tried a 16gb microSD from an older gopro in FAT32 and works.

Two things still troubles me.

Since webos is linux based, why shouldn't support exFAT since is getting a common format for also very common large memory cards.

the second is since GoPro connects via PTP exactly to prevent file systems compatibility problems, why can't webos read both photos and movies? PTP is everyday used on smartphones and other devices. GoPro on PTP connection works fine on computers to download photos AND movies. I don't get it why webos only sees the photos...

On 23/07/2017 at 10:36 PM, PeterV said:

The problem with exFAT and VFAT, or anything other than FAT16 and FAT32 is that is patented by MicroSoft. And I can imagine that a big company as LG will nu go there.

Why LG doesn't use PTP I don't know.

since linux boxes and macos reads exFAT, are you sure that MS charges fees for it?

LG uses PTP. But only sees the photos and not the movies. weird...

1 hour ago, PeterV said:

You can read about exFAT on the site of 

link hidden, please login to view

It is not free.

Can't you format the microSD card to FAT32 and use that in your new GoPro? The only problem could be the 4Gb file limit.

can't format the card in FAT32 cause that only works on 32GB or smaller cards. already considered getting a 32GB but recording in 2.7K60 or 4K30 takes a huge amount of space...

If only PTP worked as it's supposed to work...

1 hour ago, PeterV said:

The FAT32 limit of 32GB was on Windows 2000. It can be formatted larger 

link hidden, please login to view
 Not that this changes the 4GB file size.

It would be easier if PTP worked.

I already tried and I can format in FAT32 but the gopro gives an unformatted error... :(

PTP would be awesome and simple. just connect the gopro with usb cable. done. oh well...

Maybe you can connect the microSD from the GoPro to a NAS, a DNLA server or put it in a raspberry pi and they do the conversion for you.

Or you can connect the GoPro to one of those.

I have noticed the LG Smart TV has a lot of features (media player, web browser, photo viewer) that looks great but are a bit rudimental. I used them, but after a while you find better solutions. It's not only LG, you see it on other systems. I have a photo camera that can play music on a tv when showing pictures 😀. Never used it. It is very simple to add features, it hard to make them useful. 

1 hour ago, PeterV said:

Maybe you can connect the microSD from the GoPro to a NAS, a DNLA server or put it in a raspberry pi and they do the conversion for you.

Or you can connect the GoPro to one of those.

I have noticed the LG Smart TV has a lot of features (media player, web browser, photo viewer) that looks great but are a bit rudimental. I used them, but after a while you find better solutions. It's not only LG, you see it on other systems. I have a photo camera that can play music on a tv when showing pictures 😀. Never used it. It is very simple to add features, it hard to make them useful. 

that maybe the solution. I still use my pi with openelec for all my 1080p library and ambilight processing. but thinking of adding an android 4k box ;)