Quantcast

this app will now restart to free up more memory

Andy Watson
Go to solution Solved by CIC,

Question

Help ! model of television is 49uh620v have just purchased when running you tube videos get the message and action "this app will now restart to free up more memory" after a few minutes, I have cleared browsing and cookies  history. Simplelink cec is off.

Anyone out there help on this please?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

• Solution

Hi Andy,

I have the same problem on my 65UH8507.

I've called the service center in my country, Romania.

So ,  follow these steps: 

1. Uninstall the apps you do not use

2. Uninstall the app you use frequently. Mine was Netflix.

3.Turn off and unplug the TV set  and wait for 5-10 minutes.

4. Plug the TV set. Turn on

5. Reinstall the app you use frequently.

It worked for me. I hope this will works  for you either.

Regards,

• Like 3

This is such a let down from LG and surely something a firmware update could fix... Although I'm reluctant to, I have a further 28 days to return the LG 40UH630V if the problem isn't addressed. I'll be keeping an eye on the forums for a fix.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the post with instructions to resolve this problem I have a LG 43UJ630V with this problem when watching YouTube so will give it a try.  Would be helpful if LG could be bothered to fix this major software bug or at least reply to all the people who are posting about it.

OK here are the results:

Turned Off Quick Start: made no difference to faulting app YouTube.
Uninstalled YouTube app and unwanted apps, turned off/unplugged TV & waited 15 mins then re-installed YouTube app: made no difference.

YouTube app still restarts to free up memory halfway into whatever I am watching.  Come on LG fix this please.

Edited by Martlea
Update results.

Would seem LG TV's simply don't have sufficient internal memory to run these apps. Support is frankly useless and the only solution is to return the set for a full refund as no fit for purpose or put up with this. IMHO the sets are overpriced, have only average sound even through LG soundbar, flacky WebOS and standard definition broadcast TV is below average quality of picture. HD is slightly better and 4k video, when you can find it, nothing special either. Would not recommend or buy LG again.

November: YouTube app for WebOS was updated but sadly the 'This app will now restart to free up memory...' error, which has been reported for over three years, continues to plague these poor TV's so I assume LG & Google are incapable of fixing the issue or simply don't care and LG certainly are not going to refund all their customers conned into buying this rubbish let alone send engineers round to install adequate hardware.

Edited by Martlea
Update
  • Like 1

@MartleaI think the memory is not the problem, is the software. It seems that it needs to buffer a lot to keep the video fluent. This will have to be revised and limit the buffer operation to a safe value. Is not that it can't play the content, is about the handling. Strangely, I tried to use ethernet connection which is faster, but the problem is worse. I will try experimenting with an even faster connection than the one I currently have. 

Also, the Netflix app worked good before the firmware upgrade so it can't be the hardware. Will try to see tomorrow if it still works with the new upgrade.

• Like 1

I agree with Stefan about excessive  buffering. Ethernet connection to the router makes no difference, and no one else using the connection.  I am on an fttc fibre line at 50Mbps, so it should require only minimal buffering.

I have tried switching off and disconnecting the supply, also resetting to factory defaults etc etc to no avail.

When I bought the TV at first, about two years ago, I did not notice the problem., and was able to watch a Netflix movie and YouTube concert all the way through.

I notice this thread started in February. Does LG not take any notice of this forum?

• Like 1

Just got off the phone to lg support. I was told the web browser shuts down when attempting to stream video ON PURPOSE! Furthermore, once you stream anything from the internet, the cache fills up, does not clear, and prevents the installed apps from functioning properly.  I was told that the OS is a web browser NOT a web streaming service and if they allow customers access to stream video they will be in breach of their contractual agreement to the companies who have apps on the TV. This clearly doesn't happen on tablets or phones, so their logic for creating a sub par product is utter bollocks. I specifically asked the salesman if I could stream video from the internet and was told absolutely yes. When I pointed this out to Lg customer service they re-iterated that a web browser does not confer the ability to stream video. This is misleading the customer, and effectively censoring and filtering internet content.  This must stop! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Puja aingh
      Dear LG TEAM
        Kindly resolve this issue 
      My lG TV MODEL NO IS 32LK628BPTF

• By Puja aingh
      Respected LG TEAM
           KINDLY SHORT OUT MY LG WEBOS LED TV MODEL NO IS 33LK628BPTF MY ISSUE IS EVERY TIME RESTART MY TV BECAUSE I OPEN ANY APP AND WATCH ANYTHING SUDDENLY RESTART MY TV AND SHOW FREE UP YOUR STORAGE AND RESTART YOUR SYSTEM      HOW CAN I FREE UP MY SPACE  PLEASE SOLVE MY PROBLEM
    • By News Reporter
      Features Seamless Integration With LG StanbyME Screens’ UX/UI and Sound System
      to Enhance Home Entertainment or Works Effectively as a Highly Portable Speaker

SEOUL, Mar. 8, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) announces the global launch of the LG StanbyME Speaker (model XT7S), the company’s latest portable speaker which works in harmony with an LG StanbyME lifestyle screen or as a standalone speaker that can be taken anywhere.
      Designed to enrich both indoor and outdoor entertainment, LG StanbyME Speaker’s compelling audio quality and remarkable versatility caters to the diverse lifestyles and preferences of today’s users. Ideal for design-conscious individuals who relish streaming content and music at home or on the go, this speaker hit the market in Korea and the U.S. and will be made available in more regions later.
      Engineered to offer the complete entertainment experience when combined with a StanbyME screen, this speaker features seamless, intuitive pairing and control through the remote control that comes with the StanbyME screen. This allows users to effortlessly toggle their speaker and screen on and off with a single press, while also seamlessly connecting them via Bluetooth. LG StanbyME also boasts a dedicated widget with convenient one-stop control center and an overview of the speaker’s status.
      To further elevate audio-visual pleasure through audio quality, LG StanbyME Speaker’s WOW Orchestra feature combines it with the StanbyME screen’s built-in audio system, creating a unified audio setup and delivering an outstanding sound experience. What’s more, LG StanbyME’s α (Alpha) 7 Gen 6 AI processor optimizes sound by content type, while the 20-millimeter dual tweeters on the StanbyME speaker deliver clear, highly detailed high frequency stereo sound. The dual passive radiator on this speaker also creates deeper, more compelling bass.
      Offering multifaceted versatility, the all-new StanbyME speaker can seamlessly complement the StanbyME screen or be used as a standalone speaker anywhere, providing users with the remarkable level of flexibility that serves all their sound entertainment needs. Thanks to a dedicated cradle, the speaker attaches to LG StanbyME effortlessly, allowing users to place it in the perfect position for enhanced sound.
      Moreover, with an IPX5 rating and up to 16 hours of playback, this portable speaker ensures consistent audio performance everywhere they go. With its compact and lightweight body (78-millimeter height, 326-millimeter width, 87-millimeter depth and 0.9 kilograms), LG StanbyME Speaker can be carried from one place to another with ease, while its ‘edge lighting’ feature offers eye-pleasing lighting effects that add a subtle yet visually captivating element to lift the mood and atmosphere of any setting or occasion.
      LG StanbyME Speaker is currently available from LG.com website in Korea and the U.S. and is scheduled to roll out in other major markets worldwide.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By imadous
      Hi everyone, 
      I wish LG would consider updating their Codecs list or at least give us a way of installing this codecs in our TV manually. i know my TV is capable of playing a lot of stuff but i'm always stuck with "not supported" for most of the media i have. 
      One of the most wished stuff i'd love to see is 
      Added support for H.264 10bit (still very popular and used a lot) 
      as well as Opus codecs (its a Free codec and its getting a lot use recently especially with H.265 MKV videos) 
      Like i said, please add this codecs and more or at least give us a way of doing it ourselves. i know there might be legal issues and some codecs are payed, so just let us install it ourselves instead. 
      Thanks. 

• By News Reporter
      Coming to Earlier LG Smart TV Models, webOS Re:New Program Gives More Users
      Access to the Elevated Home Entertainment Experience Most Recent Platform Provides

SEOUL, Jan. 4, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) announced that it is offering the latest upgrade* of the webOS smart TV platform to owners of older LG Smart TVs, effectively evolving their smart TV into the ultimate home entertainment hub.
      In early 2024, the webOS Re:New program will bring the latest webOS upgrade to every model in LG’s 2022 OLED TV lineup, LG OLED Flex, LG OLED Objet Collection Posé as well as LG’s 2022 QNED Mini LED 8K (QNED99/95 series), promising users the joy of a new TV experience for the next five years. This upgrade will be extended to more LG TVs worldwide in the future to add more entertainment and versatility to the TV experience across the world.
      With the latest version of webOS, LG Smart TV owners can enjoy an even more personalized TV experience with a Home Screen that greets users with recommendations according to their tastes. The user interface is highly customizable, which means viewers can personalize the selection of content and services and access them with even greater ease. And to make the process even more seamless, the Quick Card UI intuitively sorts diverse content and services into categories like music, games and sports within a user-centric interface that resembles mobile user interface design.
      What’s more, courtesy of advanced security technology and an optimized operating system, users are protected with a high level of stability, security and seamlessness throughout the entire viewing experience.
      With more LG Smart TVs adopting the latest webOS upgrade, content providers and service developers will have more opportunities to spread new content, services and features to a wider audience.
      LG has shared its bold vision to become a media and entertainment platform, a business transformation that will enrich customers’ lives by delivering valuable services and a unique collection of curated content across its wide-ranging products. Powering more than 200 million LG Smart TVs worldwide, webOS will continue to evolve through significant upgrades to constantly revolutionize the customer experience. LG is poised to invest heavily in its webOS business to secure a vast library of content and services so that it can cater to the diverse lifestyles and preferences of consumers, strengthening its competitive edge in content selection and convenience.
      “Demonstrated by the constant improvement to the webOS platform’s UX and UI, LG is firmly dedicated to elevating convenience and security, ensuring that users benefit from a hassle-free and secure experience when using our products,” said Baik Seon-pill, leader of the LG Home Entertainment Company’s Product Planning Division. “We strive to provide life-enriching experiences for our customers by delivering a wide range of content and services on our TVs.”
      The LG Home Entertainment Company’s latest innovations will be on show at CES 2024 from January 9-12 at the LG booth (#16008, Las Vegas Convention Center). To keep up with all of LG’s exciting announcements at CES, visit
      link hidden, please login to view and . # # #
      * Pop-up notifications offering a full upgrade without the need to select specific UX, UI or features are only sent to customers who have agreed to receive them. Please note that this upgrade does not cover the TV’s hardware performance, features or durability.

• Similar Tagged Content