Welcome to LG webOS - Smart TV, Phone, Signage, Appliance User to User Support Forum

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Andy Watson

this app will now restart to free up more memory

Question

Help ! model of television is 49uh620v have just purchased when running you tube videos get the message and action "this app will now restart to free up more memory" after a few minutes, I have cleared browsing and cookies  history. Simplelink cec is off.

Anyone out there help on this please?

Thank you in advance.

1 person likes this

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

13 answers to this question

Hi Andy,

I have the same problem on my 65UH8507.

I've called the service center in my country, Romania.

So ,  follow these steps: 

1. Uninstall the apps you do not use

2. Uninstall the app you use frequently. Mine was Netflix.

3.Turn off and unplug the TV set  and wait for 5-10 minutes.

4. Plug the TV set. Turn on

5. Reinstall the app you use frequently.

It worked for me. I hope this will works  for you either.

Regards,

3 people like this

You can simply uncheck the option (Quick start+) and the problem should be solved. 😉😉

2 people like this

Unchecking the Quick Start Option as stated above worked for me.

1 person likes this

Unfortunately the Uncheck Quick Start only worked for a short while. No other fixes found that work. Returning this TV. Sad, all my previous LG units have worked fine. 

2 people like this

This is such a let down from LG and surely something a firmware update could fix... Although I'm reluctant to, I have a further 28 days to return the LG 40UH630V if the problem isn't addressed. I'll be keeping an eye on the forums for a fix.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the post with instructions to resolve this problem I have a LG 43UJ630V with this problem when watching YouTube so will give it a try.  Would be helpful if LG could be bothered to fix this major software bug or at least reply to all the people who are posting about it.

OK here are the results:

Turned Off Quick Start: made no difference to faulting app YouTube.
Uninstalled YouTube app and unwanted apps, turned off/unplugged TV & waited 15 mins then re-installed YouTube app: made no difference.

YouTube app still restarts to free up memory halfway into whatever I am watching.  Come on LG fix this please.

Edited by Martlea
Update results.

None of the actions mentioned solved the problem. I have even reset the tv to factory defaults.

Because of this issue Youtube is effectively unusable (it's the only OS app I used to use).

YouTube app and also youtube.com on tv browser

Same problem with new 2017 43uj6307 tv. Even after the software update, version: 04.70.04

I've tried to connect via ethernet cable for better speed to maybe avoid to much buffering: same result, crash and restart!

The problem seems to be worse with 4k video but also with hd video

1 person likes this

Would seem LG TV's simply don't have sufficient internal memory to run these apps. Support is frankly useless and the only solution is to return the set for a full refund as no fit for purpose or put up with this. IMHO the sets are overpriced, have only average sound even through LG soundbar, flacky WebOS and standard definition broadcast TV is below average quality of picture. HD is slightly better and 4k video, when you can find it, nothing special either. Would not recommend or buy LG again.

November: YouTube app for WebOS was updated but sadly the 'This app will now restart to free up memory...' error, which has been reported for over three years, continues to plague these poor TV's so I assume LG & Google are incapable of fixing the issue or simply don't care and LG certainly are not going to refund all their customers conned into buying this rubbish let alone send engineers round to install adequate hardware.

Edited by Martlea
Update
1 person likes this

@MartleaI think the memory is not the problem, is the software. It seems that it needs to buffer a lot to keep the video fluent. This will have to be revised and limit the buffer operation to a safe value. Is not that it can't play the content, is about the handling. Strangely, I tried to use ethernet connection which is faster, but the problem is worse. I will try experimenting with an even faster connection than the one I currently have. 

Also, the Netflix app worked good before the firmware upgrade so it can't be the hardware. Will try to see tomorrow if it still works with the new upgrade.

1 person likes this

I agree with Stefan about excessive  buffering. Ethernet connection to the router makes no difference, and no one else using the connection.  I am on an fttc fibre line at 50Mbps, so it should require only minimal buffering.

I have tried switching off and disconnecting the supply, also resetting to factory defaults etc etc to no avail.

When I bought the TV at first, about two years ago, I did not notice the problem., and was able to watch a Netflix movie and YouTube concert all the way through.

I notice this thread started in February. Does LG not take any notice of this forum?

Just got off the phone to lg support. I was told the web browser shuts down when attempting to stream video ON PURPOSE! Furthermore, once you stream anything from the internet, the cache fills up, does not clear, and prevents the installed apps from functioning properly.  I was told that the OS is a web browser NOT a web streaming service and if they allow customers access to stream video they will be in breach of their contractual agreement to the companies who have apps on the TV. This clearly doesn't happen on tablets or phones, so their logic for creating a sub par product is utter bollocks. I specifically asked the salesman if I could stream video from the internet and was told absolutely yes. When I pointed this out to Lg customer service they re-iterated that a web browser does not confer the ability to stream video. This is misleading the customer, and effectively censoring and filtering internet content.  This must stop! 

On 29/05/2017 at 3:43 AM, Moataz AboGaafer said:

You can simply uncheck the option (Quick start+) and the problem should be solved. 😉😉

Bought my tv only a couple of months ago and has now started to crash on me. How do I uncheck this Quick Start+ option? I  cant find it anywhere?