Quantcast

LG to launch next version of WebOS 2.0 for smart TVs at CES

LG to launch next version of WebOS 2.0 for smart TVs at CES in January

The company plans to launch the next version of its smart TV platform at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show.

LG says the latest version of WebOS improves on the features first introduced last year by giving viewers access to a wider variety of 4k ultraHD streaming options and making the platform faster overall. It also comes equipped with a new "My Channels" app that allows users to customize their favorite broadcast, cable or set-top box channels.

“By updating webOS with new and smarter features, users will experience a next-generation Smart TV platform that’s simpler, easier and more intuitive than ever before,” LG vice president In-kyu Lee, said in a statement “The webOS 2.0 platform is another example of LG’s commitment to taking a leadership role in the next generation TV market with an innovative Smart TV solution.”

LG introduced WebOS at last year's CES and has since sold more than five million televisions powered by the platform.

Source:

link hidden, please login to view

webOS 2.0 will make LG's smart TVs much faster next year

The usual pre-CES flood of information is under way, and LG is announcing details of the webOS 2.0 package its smart TVs will ship with in 2015. Improving on the menus we already dug at last year's show, LG says that the new versions will improve mainly in speed, with power-on boot time reduced by 60 percent, and a 70 percent improvement when switching from the home screen to YouTube. Sluggish, unresponsive apps have been a major pain point for "smart" TVs since their introduction, so it's good to see that addressed. One thing that will remain an issue however, is that the 2.0 upgrades will require a new display, as we haven't heard about an upgrade for existing sets (or other platforms like smartwatches, or even phones). According to LG, the first webOS sets were quite popular, with over five million sold through eight months.

If you have one of the new ones, it will include a new "My Channels" app that puts user's favorite TV channels right in the TV menu. Last year's TVs included "Universal control" from the Magic Remote LG ships with each one, and now it's built into the UI so it's easier to stay in one menu. Also upgrades is an Input Picker that recognizes whatever devices are plugged in for easier use, as well as 4K streaming support (on the appropriate TVs) for Amazon and Netflix. If everything holds to form, we should hear more about super size, high res displays with new tech (like quantum dots) over the next few days, before the usual CES flood of information once we hit Las Vegas in early January -- see you then.

Source:

As i read the news release from LG, it is possible that the current LCD lineup with WebOS will be upgradeable.

"LG’s webOS 2.0 is specifically designed to enhance the key features found in the current generation of Smart TVs, resulting in an outstanding user experience unmatched by any competing system."

The current generation of Smart TV's, is in my opinion also existing models that supports WebOS? Or am I wrong?

Best Regards

Thomas.

link hidden, please login to view

LG TV webOS 2.0 update compatibility – LG said that its new Smart TV lineup for 2015 will come with the new OS installed, and that certain existing models will also be supported. However, the company has not offered a compatibility list, just that older models would not come with support.

Best Regards

Laci

• 2 weeks later...

I have from LG of the BENELUX the comment that their is coming soon an update for the 49UB850V UHD TV and higher types lower types not.

Geachte heer Zuidema,

Bedankt voor uw email.

Op dit model 49UB850V zal er inderdaad een nieuwe update uitkomen van de webos besturingssysteem.

Helaas hebben wij niet de exacte datum wanneer de webos 2.0 zal uitkomen.

Zodra het beschikbaar is zal u een melding op uw tv ontvangen dat er een nieuwe update beschikbaar is.

Met vriendelijke groet,

van Daal I.

Customer Service Representative

LG Electronics Benelux

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.