Quantcast

Better subtitle handling/options (saving Code Page&transparent background)

chupo_cro

I have LB650V webOS TV and it is very annoying having to reselect the (Latin 2) subtitle encoding (Code Page) every time when playing the movie. Absolutely no excuse not to save the last used choice for the subtitle Code Page so I hope it will be implemented in the future firmware updates.

And one more thing about the subtitles: the options to turn on the transparent background and/or the character outlines has to be done - to improve the readability.

Hello, chupo_cro. Update your TV firmware and Code Page will be saved, and every next playing it will be like last time.

Best regards,

Milan

So the Code Page choice saving has already been solved? Nice to hear :-) I have disabled automatic SW updates because I wanted to first read the changelog and wait to see the user reports but couldn't find any changelogs :-/ So I am still using firmware 03.23.13 shipped with the TV. I can see the latest firmware is 4.30.16 - can you confirm this FW didn't introduce some new bugs? For example, with 03.23.13 web browser often suddenly just restarts.

Do you maybe know if SW update can mess up some settings (e.g. calibration settings)?

Thank you for your reply

Update your TV firmware and Code Page will be saved, and every next playing it will be like last time.

You were right - after updating the firmware to 04.30.16 the Code Page option remembers the (last used) state. I've also noticed new icon design, sooner disappearing notifications after inserting/removing the USB stick, more info in the About menu (MAC addresses), faster responding menus/options and faster previewing contents of the removable drives.

Unfortunately web browser still sometimes restarts when browsing the pages. However, it now restarts with 'Out of memory' error code (before there wasn't any error reports).

I hope the transparent subtitle background and subtitle outline options will be implemented in the near future.

And there is one more thing about the subtitle handling - I believe it's so important it deserves a separate thread so I am going to open a new topic...

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 2:09 PM, laki21 said:

Hi!

I have LED TV LG 70UK6950  and I have the same problem like its described in first post -  I must to reselect the subtitle encoding (Code page 1250) every time when playing the movie.

Is possible to save  these settings for future use?

I have exactly the same problem with LG 55SM9010PLA. I have to set the Windows 1250 code page for every movie i wanna watch with subtitles...
BTW the menu for code page change is hidden really well. Average users have no chance to find it without online help or big chunk of luck...

• 1 year later...

Hello, I have LG OLED65B9SLA, newest firmware 5.10.30 and I have same problem. Every time (also for same movie which I watched before) I have to set correct encoding (Windows-1250). Is possible remember last encoding settings until I change it to different settings? Or is possible set it somewhere as default settings?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Harima
      I am wondering how can I get my lg SMART TV webOS 3.4 to connect with google home mini?
    • By News Reporter
      10 Appliances and Consumer Electronics from LG Recognized at
      2021 International Design Excellence Awards

SEOUL, Sep. 22, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) has been recognized once again for excellence in product design at the 2021 International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA), receiving 10 accolades in total. Among the winners, LG StanbyME, a unique wireless display designed for a new kind of content-consuming audience, received the coveted Gold distinction.
      LG StanbyME is a new interpretation of the content-consumption device for a new generation of viewers. A 27-inch LED display connected to a movable stand with fabric covering on the back radiates a feeling of premiumness that looks beautiful in every room, blending in with any interior. In addition to the IDEA Gold award, LG StanbyME has been honored with other prestigious international design recognitions this year including the iF Design Award 2021 and the Red Dot Award: Product Design 2021.
      Four of LG’s premium products received Bronze awards for originality: LG OLED evo TV gallery stand for its artistic slim design, LG Eclair Soundbar for its unique curved look that breaks with traditional soundbars, LG WashTower for its unified one-body and smart technologies and LG PuriCare Air Purifier for its sleek look and powerful performance.
      The five remaining LG products were named Finalists at this year’s competition in recognition of their design brilliance:
      LG Styler Objet Collection LG CordZero ThinQ A9 Kompressor and All-in-One Tower LG PuriCare Dual Water Purifier LG InstaView Slide-in Oven Range LG UltraGear Gaming Speaker “Design helps consumers realize their desired lifestyle and express their individuality,” said Lee Chul-bae, head of LG Electronics’ corporate design center. “LG is committed to meeting customers’ aspirations to enhance their quality of life and will do so by continuing to demonstrate designs that embody the lifestyles our customers want.”
      Sponsored every year by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA), IDEA is one of the world’s most prestigious design awards, honoring products with notable and ingenious designs that have highly contributed to the field of industrial design.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Rolivhuwa Muelelwa
      I have been struggling with the Tidal App on my LG C1. You play music, but it random stops playing. Both on Wired connection and WiFi connect. I basically can't listen to any full song, without the audio randomly stopping. 
    • By Hissy
      I finally updated the software on my TV, and now I have to force a reset whenever I want to turn it on. (Unplug for 60 seconds.) The TV will not turn on without a reset, from either the remote or the power button. Once it's on it responds normally to the remote.  It doesn't matter how long the TV's been turned off - when I want to turn it back on, I have to reset it.
      Has anyone else had similar problems?
    • By News Reporter
      From heart rate monitors in smartwatches to accelerometers and gyroscopes for measuring an athlete’s movement or swing, technology takes sports to a whole new level of precision. In the world of esports, advanced tech isn’t just something that’s good to have, it’s a necessity. And in this world, LG UltraGear hardware has developed a reputation as the best gear for victory.

According to , the gaming PC and monitor market expanded rapidly in 2020, reaching 55 million units sold for a year-on-year increase of 26.8 percent. And with more people than ever working and playing from home, demand for better PC hardware experienced huge growth with sales of LG’s gaming monitors more than tripling between 2019 and 2020.
      Let’s take a look at what sets LG UltraGear gaming monitors apart from the rest.

Compared to other panel technologies such as Twisted Nematic (TN) or Vertical Alignment (VA), LG’s In-Plane Switching (IPS) panel provides a wider viewing angle with minimal color distortion as well as a wide color gamut with excellent contrast. LG was the to introduce an IPS monitor with one millisecond Gray-to-Gray (GTG) response time, a significant advantage over the 20-30 milliseconds of regular monitors. One millisecond means fewer distracting visual effects such as ghosting for a smoother, faster gaming experience. And with a refresh rate of up to 144Hz, ultra-high screen resolution and exceptionally lifelike picture quality, it’s easy to see why LG UltraGear has become an esport favorite.

Currently there are in the UltraGear monitor lineup including a new 32-inch (model 32GP850) featuring the advanced Nano IPS display technology. Later this year, LG will debut the industry’s first 34-inch monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC® ULTIMATE built-in for the highest level of compatibility with NVIDIA graphics cards.

LG makes a great effort to understand what gaming fans really want. One way is through the UltraGear Advisory Board, an online community of approximately 200 gamers from around the world managed by LG. Members of the board have a voice in developing new products, advising on both technical as well as design aspects.

And LG UltraGear gaming monitors are not only the ideal choice for a home gaming setup, it’s a brand in high demand by professionals who game for a living. LG is currently with Gen.G Esports, one of the top esports organizations, to support their League of Legends Champions Korea (LCK) team. Using LG UltraGear monitors, the team is already .

Built for a better gaming experience to deliver an edge over the competition, LG’s UltraGear gaming monitors have been the preferred gear for many gamers since its launch in 2018. So whether you’re a pro gamer or just a casual player, LG UltraGear can provide the right gear for the job to make the difference between victory and defeat.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Chandra Vravi
      Undeniably hotstar is the worst user interface app in my new LG smart tv...browsing the app is a headache...can't turn on English subtitles for regional language shows and movies, where we can do in mobile app. My webos is 5. 0 version, still I am facing the issue...very dissapointed in hotstar and LG tv..
    • By powder
      Hello friends,
      I have setup a home network in Windows 10, I think it uses DLNA. I can play all the files from the computer or the USB stick in the router with no issue but the external subtitles (correctly named) are not working in my 65C9, only internal ones. 
      If I access the same files in the network from a computer, there is no problem and subtitles are shown, it's only the TV not displaying them.
      Can someone help in how to make external subs work when played from a local network or what to check?

Thanks

• By Petar
      I have LG Nano Cell smart TV. My native language is not supported in the languages for subtitles in Netflix. What is the easiest way to use external subtitles while watching Netflix.
    • By Kasun Ekanayake
      I’m an owner of OLED55C8PJA. It’s an OLED SMART THINQ TV. I have spent lots of money in this. Anyway, I can’t see Sinhala Subtitles whenever I’m watching movies using this TV. But it supports Sinhala language. It even has menu language and keyboard language in “Sinhala”. But Srt Subtitle files that has Sinhala language cannot see.I have tried to set to encoding to UTF-8 also. But no luck!
      hope you will know solution for me.
      Thanks