Quantcast

Reading exFAT formatted USB storage devices

mcored

• 3 years later...

Most devices support FAT32 and exFAT as the major OSes( Windows,Linux,MacOSX) support them  almost as their native filesystem. Its strange to see LG TV support a proprietary and which is badly/not fully supported on all OSes: NTFS. This filesystem  (NTFS) should be the last to support on any other device thats not a Windows machine.

My problem: I use a macos and can not write on NTFS devices. If I wish to view a 4K movie (64GB) , I have to pay an additional 20-30$ for a software that allows my mac to write/format NTFS files to a usb stick. The free-open-source software ntfs-3g its not good enough because it takes about 3hours to write a 4k movie (64GB) on a USB3.0 (UltraFit).

Great TV LG, but thanks a lot (sarcastically) for  taking from me more money and time to write my wedding on a USB3.0 so that I can view it on the TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I too came here because I wan't to access some large file on a USB drive from my LG WebOS TV, and I use Mac so I can't use NTFS.
But I must clear up some misunderstandings:

exFAT IS NOT STANDARD on most Linux distributions!
Actually it dosen't even have a kernel module (only Fuse userland module) because exFAT is a licensed, close source and closed protocol.
It's not difficult to find this information, just look at wikipedia:
"exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) is a Microsoft file system introduced in 2006 optimized for flash memory such as USB flash drives and SD cards.[5] It is proprietary and Microsoft owns patents on several elements of its design"

It was meant to replace FAT32 because of the filesize limitations. NTFS was doomed not feasible for small removable devices. But the biggest problem with NTFS is actually that it is closed source and support in other OS'es than windows is either made by:
a. buying and signing an NDA with Microsoft or
b. reversed engineered. Which is the solution Linux and Mac has chosen, and the reason Mac (and earlier Linux) defaulted to mount readonly. They didn't want to risk destroying anything.

So while I do agree with Microsoft that we need a new filesystem. I don't think a proprietary filesystem is the solution, for storage that is meant to be used in a lot of different devices based on different OS'es.

Could it be a solution to split the MKV's to multipart? I haven't tried but maybe WebOS will play them seamlessly.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
27 minutes ago, Vietxitin said:

Thank for share, we use macOS and it doesn't support NTFS.

True, if you're wanting to write data to the NTFS volume using macOS, you need to install non-standard drivers.

But if you're wanting to pause live TV or record using the TV, you can get the TV to format the volume. Your mac can then *read* the NTFS volume without special drivers, although not sure what format the TV writes.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/23/2019 at 10:43 PM, PeterV said:

What I did was connect the external harddisk to the Mac and install Plex on the Mac. After installing the Plex player on the LG TV I can watch movies using the Plex server on the Mac.

Works like a dream.

how fast is your internet speed? Do you connect through wifi or cable? What kind of movie files do you stream? 

11 minutes ago, Mejriou said:

how fast is your internet speed? Do you connect through wifi or cable? What kind of movie files do you stream? 

My internet up/downloadspeed is 100Mbit but all the computer and the LG TV are connected by wired network (100 Mbit or 1Gbit (don't really know)).

Normaly I stream 720p movies (because of the discspace) but it works without problems with a 1280p movie file. The filetypes you can stream can be found on the Plex website.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

100% Mac household  - I needed an NTFS format for my external file saves on my Evolve HDMI capture device. This software does everything I need.

Microsoft NTS for Mac by Paragon costs just under $20 and will make it absolutely seamless to format NTFS or mount NTFS devices.

link hidden, please login to view
 - the latest is Catalina ready.

Edited by LeftCoastBoomer
clarity

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1 for exFAT, hard to believe that its 2020 and interconnectivity is still an issue.

UPDATE: 
After some searching, found a good workaround. DNLA server can be installed rather painlessly and available from the LG TV with one-click! 
The good thing it does not matter how your drive is formatted. (I can open my films from ext4 formatted disk on my TV).

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2020 at 1:39 PM, Péter Fehér said:

+1 for exFAT, hard to believe that its 2020 and interconnectivity is still an issue.

UPDATE: 
After some searching, found a good workaround. DNLA server can be installed rather painlessly and available from the LG TV with one-click! 
The good thing it does not matter how your drive is formatted. (I can open my films from ext4 formatted disk on my TV).

DLNA server using minidnla on MacOS is great solution and works perfectly, thanks a lot Péter
I can now easily browse and stream movies with pause/ff/rw from my exFAT HD mounted to my Macbook Pro on my LG B9.
After searching for hours on a way to do this I am surprised to have such a great and simple solution. Thanks again.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...