Quantcast

Smart share not so smart

spaceman

I have a nice 55 inch LG TV that I loved - with the old software. Networked to PC and found the ability to access the 100 odd TV series and movies I have through the TV - brilliant. Nice interface with Plex.

Of course once you have had a nice big TV you want a nicer bigger one. Just shelled out $4.5k on a 65inch UHD - top of the line LG, Excited about WebOS.

Start smart share to view video files - and there is no file structure. 100 series of TV shows and movies with no file structure. You can do a search but only if you know what you are looking for. !!!!!!!!!!!

For such a top of the line product the - the simplicity of smart share is very disappointing.

Can LG please very quickly release a new firmware version - with the ability to have a proper setup like the previous software with PLEX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with the original complaint here. Having upgraded to what I hoped would be the a smarter way to access my digital content I find the Smartshare interface incredibly disappointing. The concept is great but the critical failure in the lack of folders to navigate through content. 

A lot of my digital content is just a file number inside a suitably named folder, and Smartshare tanks the folder making it impossible to find what you're looking for. It's like walking into a book store where all the titles have be dumped in a single massive pile and stripped of their covers. 

The inability to share content directly of MacOS to the Webos device compounds the failure. My old TV was far more effective to pull down and play content from the DLNA library. I'm hoping for a serious update to the SmartShare app, and soon.

E

Many many thanks pi314 :)

This will help me actually use the TV, I would never have thought to dig through the PC connector to find a DLNA server. I even had to click through to wi-fi direct to find the DLNA server even though it's on the LAN. Very odd.

I really really wish it was possible to bookmark the root folder for that DLNA server to avoid digging down through the layers in future. Pretty sure my wife will never remember the sequence.

E

• Like 1

Just found another easter egg relating to the folders and DLNA. When using Smart Share you have to select ALL from the left hand menu, then an option to view by List or Folder appears. Choose Folder and you can drill down through your DLNA setup.

Again, a bookmark to drop on the home menu having dug down into the right location would be gold.

E

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a nice 55 inch LG TV that I loved - with the old software. Networked to PC and found the ability to access the 100 odd TV series and movies I have through the TV - brilliant. Nice interface with Plex.

Of course once you have had a nice big TV you want a nicer bigger one. Just shelled out $4.5k on a 65inch UHD - top of the line LG, Excited about WebOS.

Start smart share to view video files - and there is no file structure. 100 series of TV shows and movies with no file structure. You can do a search but only if you know what you are looking for. !!!!!!!!!!!

For such a top of the line product the - the simplicity of smart share is very disappointing.

Can LG please very quickly release a new firmware version - with the ability to have a proper setup like the previous software with PLEX

I agree

Dear whoever you are, I joined this platform so that I could learn more about my device, but find it extremely rude that I should be rebuked as of the first comment. Am I not free to share my opinions? And yes the Smart Share feature is difficult to use for wireless devices. And not Smart still. This is my opinion following product use, not bashing as you describe it.

Serdar

• Like 1

Dear SerdarPinar. Of course you can share your opinions. You may also help other users. But agreeing to a two months old post about a feature that either was not present at that time or the user did not know how to access it, does not help anyone. Since that post the firmware changed four times. The folder structure is available therefore my question.

There are still features missing from Smart Share but not the folder structure. Concerning the mobile phone access may I ask what os do you have on your phone? I might help you if you are using ios.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree to what? The TV has a folder structure. Select all in the smart share app and in the upper right side select folder view. Please read here: http://www.lgwebos.com/topic/1512-feature-request-and-ideas-add-folders-to-smartshare/?p=1948

Before bashing some feature that already exist, learn to use your tv or ask in the forum.

Yes, TV has folder structure, but there is no way to save it as default view. Every time you have to go to "All" and then choose "Folder view"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      Disruptive Concept in Ownership Extends Usability of Appliances
      That Can Be Upgraded to Meet New Usage Trends, Patterns

SEOUL, Jan. 25, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) is set to change the existing paradigm of home appliance usage with an upgradability option that adapts to the unique and changing lifestyles of customers. Developed under the concept, Evolving Appliances For You, LG upgradable appliances have the capability to incorporate new features developed in the future based on owners’ usage patterns and habits.
      What upgradability brings to the table is the ability to add a new function or convenience to an existing appliance through new software, new hardware or both. For example, users can improve the performance of the LG PuriCare air purifier when a new pet joins the family by upgrading with the Pet Care Filter to more thoroughly filter out pet fur and dander from the air.1 Upgradable LG dryers can be enhanced later on to handle different climates and fabrics with new accessories and software downloadable from the Upgrade Center in the LG ThinQ app.
      For the customer, upgradability enables the LG appliance to keep up with changing trends and usage patterns over the many years of that product’s lifespan, extending usefulness many times over. In all, LG is planning to introduce approximately 20 upgradable appliances this year.2
      “Upgradeability challenges the idea that expensive appliances are designed with planned obsolescence in mind,” said Lyu Jae-cheol, president of LG Electronics Home Appliance & Air Solution Company. “We want customers to experience the feeling of getting a new washer or refrigerator throughout the entire lifecycle of an LG appliance, not just the first time they bring the item home.”
      Customers in specific markets can expect to see LG’s first upgradable washer and dryer later this year. Follow LG’s Home Appliance Instagram account () for more information when available.
      # # #
      1   Pet Care Filter sold separately.
      2  Upgradable products and features may vary depending on model and region.

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Alfvenwave
      Hi, I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this annoying new behaviour.
      I have my SKY Q box on HDMI1 and have become accustomed to switching back from Netflix (or any other app for that matter) by having HDMI1 assigned to button "1" using the Quick Access feature.  In the last week though, this feature has stopped working properly. If I am in Netflix and I press the "1" button, nothing happens (as expected). If instead I hold down the "1" button to switch to SKY I get a pop up that says this: "Do you want to add Netflix to [Quick Access 1]?".   If I then hold down the "0" button, the 3x3 grid "EDIT QUICK ACCESS" pop-up appears and I can clearly see my SKY Q/HDMI 1 in the top left grid position (button "1")!!!
      If I then switch via the Home button to HDMI1 and remove HDMI1 from Quick Access (via the  EDIT QUICK ACCESS pop up), I can then re-add it by holding down 1 or from within the pop-up. Now, if I go into Netflix and then hold down 1, my TV does (correctly) switch to HDMI1. Hurrah! If however I turn my TV off and back on, then go to Netflix, then hold down "1", I am back to square one with the question "Do you want to add Netwflix to [Quick Access 1]?"......Grrrr!!!
      I have tried switching the TV off at the wall, leaving for 10 seconds and repowering, which doesn't fix the problem (I don't believe WebOS reboots when you do this). LG appear to have made it a practical impossibility to reboot WebOS via anything other than a factory reset which I don't really want to do as it'll take me too long to get all my settings back to where I have them now. Some blogs suggest that the "User Licence agreement" setting can be changed which forces a reset from within the General tab but I don't see this on my TV (guessing that WebOS interface has changed).
      Anyone have any ideas? 
      Rob.

• By Paulct
      I just bought a lg b7 oled and have a problem. I dont subscribe to cable so I wont ever be using it on this tv. Every time I start the tv it loads the OS and the cable-less static comes on the screen and BLASTS through the speakers. The tiles for netflix, hulu, etc are at the bottom so I choose one of those. How do I stop the tv from defaulting to turning on the "tv" that clearly doesnt exist? Ive tried deleting the tile for live tv, and even moving it to the far right side but still every time I turn n the tv - static with the menu on the bottom. 
    • By LGquestion
      Hi You!   Bought a new LG TV... but before I remove the old LG TV... how can I copy/export the Photos/videos (using the inbuilt camera) on an old LG TV webos to computer/mobile/mac/pc?  Please...... Please ......
      Liam

• By Nick Payne
      We've had a 65" OLED G1 for a while (Australian model OLED65G1PUA.AUS). No problems with it until the latest software update that installed on it a couple of weeks ago (the set shows the current installed level as 03.21.05). Since the update, when streaming using one of the apps built into the TV, maybe once every couple of days the picture will freeze in the middle of playback, and two or three seconds later the TV kicks us back to the initial screen for the app that we are streaming from. We've had it happen with Binge, with Apple TV+, and with Amazon Prime. If we access the same streaming services using the Android version of the apps on a Chromecast with Google TV that I have plugged into one of the HDMI ports on the G1, we never see the same problem.
      As the problem doesn't happen with the Chromecast, it doesn't seem to be a network problem (both the Chromecast and G1 are using a wired Ethernet connection rather than WiFi); as it happens with multiple apps on the G1, it doesn't appear to be a problem with a specific app; and as it has only started happening since the software update to the TV, that points the finger at that update as being the cause of the problem.
      Any suggestions? There doesn't appear to be any officially supported way of downgrading the software on an LG set to the previous version to see if that gets rid of the problem.