Quantcast

HDR Effect

Kevin Glenn

I have a 43" UJ6300 LG UHD TV, and a 150Mbps fiber circuit from Telus.   It works very well, and I am satisfied with most features and picture quality.  My one complaint may be a slightly dimmer overall picture to comparable TV's.  

Probably because I was too lazy to thoroughly read the manual I did not fully understand the meaning of all of the features.  I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick 4K+,  and noticed an immediate improvement in picture quality.  The Roku Stick I bought was mostly to enjoy sports subscriptions which were unavailable on WebOS. 

I noticed that my Roku Stick immediately switches  my "Picture Mode" to "HDR Effect" on my LG UJ6300.  I falsely thought HDR Effect was just that, an effect, not actual HDR.  I noticed my picture quality was improved even when the Roku Stick was turned off, which seemed impossible.    Then I realized my TV was still set to HDR Effect,  and that is what is improving picture quality.  HDR Effect I believe is HDR10, which my Roku Stick uses.  Roku also supports HDR10+ and Dolby Vision programming.  

I learned that HDR Effect is by far the best setting for most programs broadcast today, as HDR10 has as far as I can see become the de facto standard for High Dynamic Range TV's.  Try watching  golf, football, baseball, it all looks best on HDR Effect.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.