Quantcast

Subtitles on all the time

Murray Ronald

Question

7 answers to this question

@Murray Ronald Are you talking about "CC" (Close Caption) options here? If you press select while watching a Live TV program, you should see a CC option that you can toggle on or off.

Have a look at the Accessibilty options, there may be an advanced setting for those if you need more control.

If something else (i.e.  from a NetFlix or other premium APP program/video title), can you please explain or show a screen shot?

Also from an LG site (may be your issue):

"It’s a common complaint among LG TV owners. You’ve turned off the closed captions just as we’ve mentioned yet the subtitles remain. This happens most often when this happens the captions are turned on somewhere other than your TV.

Closed captions are available on a variety of devices that you use with your LG TV. From your cable box to a Roku or Firestick device, the captions could be appearing because they’re set up on another device. After you’ve verified that the captions are off on the LG TV using the methods above, check your connected devices to ensure the captions are off there as well."

Edited by td47
clarification

Hi, thanks for your reply. This happens using either live (digital) TV via the antenna or the satellite via the dish, no set top box in use, only the TV.

Yes when I hit select there are toggle type choices for language choice and subtitles (i.e. closed captions I presume) etc.  I can toggle them between available langages or Off. This works fine.

BUT I have to do this EVERY time I change channels.  Yikes!  And also when I turn on the TV - the captions appear to be always ON by default. 

I think I have been over all the options since this TV arrived for Christmas, but I'm still hoping there may be a solution. I also did a reset/initialise to the whole setup and this led me to realise it was just changing the language (sound) that automtically turns on captions.  Which is crazy in my opinion 😉

12 hours ago, td47 said:

@Murray Ronald Thanks for the feedback. Are you saying that a factory reset has fixed you issue, or you have turned OFF the CC permanently using the Accessibility setting options?

No the factory reset did not correct the problem.

After the reset I did the setup for France and the antenna tuning. Then I checked the TV worked ok. It works fine with no Captions-Subtitles.

I then changed the Primary Language to English (see photo), and immediately Captions are switched on every time I change a channel. You can see them showing in the photo.

If I go into the Parameters, Accessibilty, Subtitles and turn them Off then it is still NOT permenant. They do turn off for the channel being watched but they come back every time I change channels. There is no general option I can see to choose no language to turn OFF captions.

Just the fact of changing the Primary audio Language from French to English appears to activate some internal auto-caption on every time you change a channel.

IMG_20210123_113439.jpg

On 1/23/2021 at 11:48 PM, td47 said:

@Murray Ronald Thanks for the feedback. That definitely sounds like a WebOS bug.

It would be best to report it directly to your LG country support.

Negative response from French LG support. They consider it "normal" to have to manually control captions that become active every time you change channels.  No indication and no suggestion of improving WebOs with the general overriding toggle for captions.  For this and other questions I am increasingly disappointed with French LG support.

I have another similar question open with LG support about Favorites.  The set does not save your Favorite choice (1 to 8 etc)  and you must choose it again every time you switch on.  In addition, the whole management of Favorites is pretty cumbersome. I am beginning to regret my 10 year old Samsung which was/is miles ahead on these points.  The Samsung got moved out to another room, but it may move back to the primary position soon !

Thanks for your previous help.