Quantcast

LG CX screen resolution?.

colin lawson

Question

3 answers to this question

@colin lawson I think the only (very basic) information is given from the "i" info button on the remote, like HD or SD for any given programme.

This is further "muddied" by the fact that HD can mean 720 or 1080. Here are no "apps" that can show this while a programme is being watched, but personally I think there should be more "info" on the "info" screen to shows this.

@davexnet 

I thought the OP (@colin lawson ) was asking how to tell what the actual broadcast signal was, before being upscaled and displayed, so sorry if I confused things.
Certainly a 4K TV will, as you say, upscale to "fill the screen" pixels from the lower resolution source. But, on some sets, SD can look awful, unless at a distance away (say 9 to 10 feet).

Given that some channels on Freeview/Sky/Foxtel are still only using SD (and even on "HD" channels, I think SOME older stuff still goes ou at SD) , have a read of this quote from :

link hidden, please login to view

"Perhaps the biggest problem with 4K is upscaling. Upscaling means taking something of a lower resolution (like 480p DVD) and stretching it out to fit on higher resolution display. All 4K TVs upscale, obviously. However, not all of them do it very well. Poorly upscaled content can look grainy and soft with jagged edge and loss of detail. Even older standard definition can look just plain bad no matter what 4K TV you buy."

Other useful sources of pros/cons:

Edited by td47
typo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Low Grade
      hi, 
      i just need to listen to the audio of certain Youtube videos so is it possible to turn off the screen ?.............this is possible for Live TV though............😀
    • By Martens
      When I am playing music videos with the YouTube app I could turn the screen off. Why is this not possible anymore, why can I not turn of the screen of the device I bought when I want it to be turned off 
    • By Derek Weselake (WEZ)
      Hey there,  I have had a  OLED55B6P for ten months and I love it but

I have a problem all a sudden, just today it starts to show a black screen with fire works every minutes if I don't press a button on the remote.

I have no eco mode on, no power save modes on, TV firmwire is up to date, and tried turning off on and on the tv.

anyone know how to fix?
    • By dolbnya
      I have a mediaplayer connected to my TV OLED55C6V through HDMI. For every video playback the player tries to select an output HDMI signal format automatically depending on both video framerate/resolution and framerate/resolution supported by the connected TV to show the video as close to original as possible with the TV without any scaling. And here I have a problem: the maximum resolution the player selects is 1080p despite of the videofile has resolution 4k and the TV supports playback of the input signal up to 4K60p. I can change the output signal resolution on the player manually after blayback starting and it works, but it's not convenient. As far as I know the only way of getting information about videosignal format supported by TV for the player is EDID on HDMI channel. So is it possible to fix the issue? Maybe some hidden setting in TV could change the version of EDID?
    • By tomatowarden
      Hey everyone, I've been using my LG WebOS TV for some time now, and there's a small but impactful change I'd love to see. Currently, when the TV is turned on without an HDMI input, it defaults to displaying a wallpaper. It's not aesthetically pleasing, it's a bit of an inconvenience for users like me who primarily use the TV's smart features.My suggestion is to include an option that allows the TV to boot directly into the Home screen, displaying all the available apps and streaming options right away. This would streamline the user experience, making it faster and easier to access the services we use most.Would love to hear the community's thoughts on this. Cheers!