Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Dissatisfied

Why can’t I watch HBONow on my LG smart TV?

Question

42 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Cody k said:

The issue here is 100% user error. It isn't insulting at all to point that out. My methods are the ones that work for millions of people. Your inability to do what millions of others can do is nobody's problem but yours. 

Cody K, you can shove that C7 into your vagina tonight, where it really belongs.   

25 minutes ago, Cody k said:

I tried to help you. I gave you MULTIPLE methods for doing what you want to do. You have been unable to do a basic thing. This is not me being condescending, it's you being unable to manage a basic task. 

You told me to get amazon Prime or cast it from my phone. Those are some high tech sophisticated methods right there. I told you I’m not paying for amazon prime and I can’t cast it from my phone. Very likely I’m doing something wrong while trying to cast; I already told you I’m not technologically savvy. So the fact that your (lucky lucky) wife can do it is of no use to me whatsoever and just reinforces your general dickishness as you try to make me feel stupid.

P. S. I don’t know what a C7 is so that little tidbit is wasted on me.

878ED080-E26F-426B-91BF-38DCAFA1DC3D.png

28 minutes ago, swami said:

Dissatisfied...  that PBKAC means "problem between the keyboard and chair".    The attacking begins from our little disturbed friend Cody K here.   Not helpful to anyone.   

Yeah, I know. I looked it up, lol.

No worries. I have a guy who does TV & stereo installs coming to fix the crappy install job that came with my Amazon delivery and I’ll ask him about it. If worse comes to worst, I’ll have him hook my old AppleTV box back up to this new television which will solve my problem. Was just hoping to have fewer remotes to wrangle. 

Thanks. 🙂

On 3/29/2019 at 12:32 AM, Dissatisfied said:

I’ve tried everything. This blows. 

Hi,

Is the app actually installed on you set?

If not can you see the app in the app store?

Where are you located, as the HBO GO app is regionally locked, for instance it is not available (to the best of my knowledge) in the UK as SKY TV has the rights to show many HBO show here?

2 hours ago, George Hofmeister said:

Hi,

Is the app actually installed on you set?

If not can you see the app in the app store?

Where are you located, as the HBO GO app is regionally locked, for instance it is not available (to the best of my knowledge) in the UK as SKY TV has the rights to show many HBO show here?

Hi George. No, the app is not on the set, nor  available in the store. I’m in the US, so it’s not a regional issue; I have HBONow on my iPhone and iPad. I’ve downloaded the TV casting app on my phone and TV, still can’t cast HBONow. Screenshot is to show you which LG tv I’m working with. 

B77ACA55-5962-45A8-B1A8-3469114F5066.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dissatisfied said:

Hi George. No, the app is not on the set, nor  available in the store. I’m in the US, so it’s not a regional issue; I have HBONow on my iPhone and iPad. I’ve downloaded the TV casting app on my phone and TV, still can’t cast HBONow. Screenshot is to show you which LG tv I’m working with. 

B77ACA55-5962-45A8-B1A8-3469114F5066.png

Hi,

Thanks for the information, sadly I cannot be of any help as I am in the UK and we do not get any flavour of HBO unless it is on SKY TV.  Hopefully someone in your region may have some idea of a fix for either issue you are having. 

B77ACA55-5962-45A8-B1A8-3469114F5066.thumb.png.ca873d5c49fe0d5ae8f1611c311d2eb3.png

After months of wandering the LG Store on my TV, and a good bit of money on useless apps, I chose instead to use an AppleTV (ATV) connected to my AVR, and pass the video to my TV. Alternately (for HBO and Netflix streams, you could add a Google Chromecast, $40US or so) — Chromecast does not use Apple’s AirPlay, and the pic of your phone’s Airplay pulldown would never show Chromecast as an option...)
You could open the HBONow app on your phone and and choose the casting option, within the app itself. The Airplay icon, and the Google cast icons are similar looking, I’ve attached them here.
15c4e4825b946f0b93ffdc4a5533a967.jpg. 4a45dc5aaa4ae880ae1a699d47eb94b1.jpg. bed6cc9955fa5db2c01d9e9c0ac616c2.jpg
If both an ATV and a Chromecast are connected to your Wi-Fi, you will see both icons on a movie scene once you tap the phone’s screen.
The best part of the AppleTV or Chromecast casting is that it is NOT casting a video from phone to TV. It gives “permission” for the ATV or Google device to connect to the stream directly from HBO, thereby freeing your phone’s WiFi for more important things, like texting “sup?”and “HMU” to friends, etc...

Downside for Amazon Prime folks are the grumbles between Google and Amazon that resulted in Google not allowing Prime Video app users to stream via Chromecast. Luckily the ATV has the Prime app available for free.

I hear the AppleTV’s “TV” app is coming soon to Fire Sticks, too.
My LG does not pass Atmos well, but it does handle Dolby Vision very well. My ATV has both Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos and my AVR does, too. Best of both worlds.

I no longer use Alexa— I quickly tired of hearing Alexa volunteer, saying —during times of intimacy— “I’m sorry, I didn’t understand your question!?”
While it was a cause of great hilarity the first time, nanoseconds later she was hurled at a wall.

—Thumprchgo
a.k.a., Mark, Prairiedawg, OldCrankInTheBack

Setup: Mostly plebeian, but carefully curated.
Denon AVR-X4400H, 9.2; Audyssey MultiEQ-XT32
Polk Audio RTiA series for L/C/R,
FXi series for Side Surrounds,
OMW5 for on-ceiling Atmos, at 5.2.4
Polk DSW-550 subs, two.
AppleTV 4K, Fire Stick 4K, QNAP NAS,
nanoAVR-DL (useless, don’t get me started)
MiniDSP 4x2HD for sub EQ and time-alignment
LG 55” 4K Dolby Vision
Innumerable beads of sweat
Thousands of frustrated, misspent hours
And one radiant smile just up ahead, off in the gloaming...

(Sent from my tablet)

You mentioned you have hulu? You should be able to subscribe to HBO through Hulu and then access the shows through the LG hulu app.  I currently have a PS4 that has HBO otherwise I'd probably subscribe through hulu or amazon instead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sir, from the bottom of my heart...thank you. This worked. It frees up my Apple TV for another set in the house, and it was a simple fix, delivered politely. I do feel silly for not having known one could subscribe to HBO through Hulu. Have a great day and thanks again!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dissatisfied said:

Sir, from the bottom of my heart...thank you. This worked. It frees up my Apple TV for another set in the house, and it was a simple fix, delivered politely. I do feel silly for not having known one could subscribe to HBO through Hulu. Have a great day and thanks again!

(*I'm a woman!) But no problem~ not sure why people can't just say "seems like I can't help you" & move on.

Here's hoping LG & HBO get their shit together and get us an actual app!

• Like 2

On 4/1/2019 at 6:14 AM, Cody k said:

The issue here is 100% user error. It isn't insulting at all to point that out. My methods are the ones that work for millions of people. Your inability to do what millions of others can do is nobody's problem but yours. 

Cody you are half literate ignorant dipshit 🤣.  Sorry I am not insulting you 

I believe there is some bad miscommunication in this thread.

I have an LG 65EF9500 TV which is a first generation OLED TV.  The "webOS" TV Version is 2.2.1-1344.

I am unable to find a means to cast HBO Now onto the TV directly, and have had to resort to a Chromecast as part of my AV-system because of it. It works well -(good video and surround audio) but is a small pain to navigate on my iPhone). I am a Dish subscriber, and they STILL have no HBO!

There is no LG HBO (NOW or GO) app for it on the TV's OS, and there is no portal in the "Amazon Prime" app on the TV. 

I believe that "webOS" TV Version with 3.x.x DOES support HBO, but not 100% sure. Will find out from a friend and hopefully report back. 

So before you start calling people out with negativity,  get the facts down, like which webOS version is installed on your model.

This info is found in Advanced>General>About This TV>TV Information>webOS TV Version.

3 minutes ago, Stobo said:

there is no portal in the "Amazon Prime" app on the TV. 

HBO is available as a 'channel' within Amazon Prime. This is true for all versions of the app and webOS. It's how I watch the show and is the best way to get HBO on an LG until they get their sh*t together and develop an app. Apparently Amazon has better streaming quality for audio and video than the standalone service anyway. I know this is true for other channels, like CBS All Access.

https://help.hbogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/204872107-Watching-HBO-on-Amazon-Prime-Video-Channels

1 minute ago, Cody k said:

Apparently Amazon has better streaming quality for audio and video than the standalone service anyway.

Interesting! I'll have to look into this. We're currently subscribed to a couple channels through Hulu and I wonder what the comparison between different streaming services is like for additional channels.

2 minutes ago, mmky said:

Interesting! I'll have to look into this. We're currently subscribed to a couple channels through Hulu and I wonder what the comparison between different streaming services is like for additional channels.

That I couldn't answer as we do all of our subscriptions - currently HBO, CBS AA and Starz - through Amazon. Previously we had Showtime through it as well. The quality has always been excellent. Our Hulu quality has been excellent as well but we've never tried any of the add-ons. We did CBS AA as a standalone on our old Sony 4K TV and the quality was definitely not as good as Amazon's. My info on the HBO comparison comes from people talking about it this past week. 

No CraveTV app either.  Why doesn't web os 《simply》 have an android app engine / capability area within the LG os?  This would 《simply》 make it the best smart tv out there (not comparing to apple -- but I've never tried it).  Still like LG tvs but they have to get better in the smart tv department.

Cody K said there is a "channel" in Amazon Prime on the LG webOS where I could add HBO as a channel. Well I thought he was wrong on my set (details previously posted), however I finally found the ability to add a channel,  located somewhat of a scroll down from the top of the main page that is available. It wasn't easy enough for me to find initially, but after listening to Cody about this, he is correct, and I'd like to thank him!

Just now, swami said:

Dissatisfied...  that PBKAC means "problem between the keyboard and chair".    The attacking begins from our little disturbed friend Cody K here.   Not helpful to anyone.