Quantcast

Annoying pop-up messages on my lg 49sj800v smart tv

rick wiseman

Question

I have owned this tv for a year and pleased with it ... until about a month ago. I now have constant repetitive messages in top right hand corner of screen saying 'Unknown device disconnected' or 'wired network is connected' or wired lan cable is connected' and it's driving me crazy. I have tried the lg live chat technical support and they were not aware of the issue but I've seen the same problem discussed on US forums and here too. Nobody seems to be able to have a solution. I have unplugged all external stuff - Virgin V6 box, Wii, wired internet, etc and it still happens. Help!!

On 12/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, rick wiseman said:

I have owned this tv for a year and pleased with it ... until about a month ago. I now have constant repetitive messages in top right hand corner of screen saying 'Unknown device disconnected' or 'wired network is connected' or wired lan cable is connected' and it's driving me crazy. I have tried the lg live chat technical support and they were not aware of the issue but I've seen the same problem discussed on US forums and here too. Nobody seems to be able to have a solution. I have unplugged all external stuff - Virgin V6 box, Wii, wired internet, etc and it still happens. Help!!

So today there's been a software update and the problem has gone away. Coincidence or thanks lg? Let's wait and see.

I started to get the "unknown device has disconnected" popup last night all of a sudden.

Also random popups of ads and such which I can't explain where they are coming from such as TV shows recommendations.

My WIFI also stopped working (I gave up on trying to get it to work).

I believe they are probably related but who knows. LG is useless. If i had the money, I would started a class action lawsuit for their TV products as it getting into a huge problem as I have seen issues on their LG forums and CNET forum about their WIFI not working and the unknown device has disconnected.

Mine out or warranty so I will have to think of getting a new TV that NON-LG. My last Flat screen lasted 4-5 years. This lasted about 14 months, great job LG.

Only solution to get around this is switch it to STORE mode to turn off the notification but then it will reset it settings every few minutes so you can't switch PICTURE MODE or adjust anything really on the TV in this mode.

In my 49SJ810v TV the wifi does not see and wireless networks, as well the Magic control does not register. It seems that the Wifi and bluetooth are related (same module).

Could any one (LG Support as well) to confirm the Part number of this module.

It seems that there a lot LG SJ810 tvs that have the same problem

On 1/8/2019 at 1:02 AM, Silentmeow said:

I have same problem, I did a reset,and got WiFi back on but couldn’t connect but lost WiFi again and didn’t get it back. Connected with Ethernet and got WiFi on but lost it again. Hopefully they come up with an update.

Solution to this Fault on LG SJ810v

I had the same problem with my 49sj810v (random messages connected- disconnected devices, the wifi could not detect any networks, and the magic mouse could not connect(could not register as the bluetooth had to be initialised)).

SOLUTION:  Have replaced the  RF Module (EAT63377302 WI FI MODULES & 3D TRANSMITTERS FOR LG GENUINE 49SJ810V).

Now everything is working Fine.

Hope this message will help other LG tv owners that LG will not help.

• Thanks 1

Since the wifi could not detect any wifi networks, it was obvious to me that the wifi module is faulty. Made some research to find out the correct part number of this module and bought one from the ebay.

I do have fair background of electronics - communication.

Hope that my solution will help you.

LG techs are working on an update fix since it was the last update that scewed everything up. But if the module is bad the update won’t fix it . LG should be responsible for it but I am sure they won’t be.  I can do a lot of things but changing a module is another thing plus ,the number may vary from model to model.

1 hour ago, Silentmeow said:

I did find the part for my model, it’s a different number then yours. You tube has a video for Samsung and theirs is super easy to change as it right there and you just po a few screws. Is ours riyin front too? 

1. Remove the back cover.

2. The wifi module is at the bottom center. Its a small box, which could be removed by one screw. The box has the bottom switches as well tje wifi controller. 

3. Disconnect the plug from the wifi and remove the board. Teplace tje wifi board with a working one and connect the connector. Fix the box back to the tv

4 fix back cover.

Is quite easy procedure. Should not take more the 30 min.

Goodluck

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 7:16 AM, txydas said:

good luck. My TV is fine since replacing the  the WIFI module.

It seams that is a common problem on this line of TVs.

Yeah, working flawlessly. Hope there's another solution an well. The part only cost me 10 bucks in Brazil, in opposition to LG SERVICE wanting 200 bucks to fix the TV. 

Hi everyone. My original post has generated a lot of comments and it is obvious that there are a lot of lg customers out there who have experienced this pop-up message problem. So as I don't use the wifi facility but have the tv hard wired to all other sources (router, wii, etc) I simply disconnected the wifi via the settings menu and have had no problems since. BUT lg have lost my confidence in ignoring this problem and as a result, any future custom from me. 

@txydas My lg49sj800v 's trouble is like the ones commented here, i. e. 1. rare message saying unknown device disconnected (it is not annoying and repetitive), 2. wifi and screenshare usually are not working. my tv name is not  often appeared on mobile phone during screenshare, and wifi has the same fault. 3. occasionally, the broadcast dtv picture paused for 2-3 seconds and then resumed in fast motion mode. 4. during the faults, the the tv does not respond to magic remote controller.

Do you have the other trouble I wrote here? do you think my trouble would be removed by replacing the wifi module?

thanks in advance.

Hi

Iinitially i had the sane problems as as you do. I was not using the. Wifi as next to the router. As the module is quite inexpesive it worth tryng. I bought mine from uk, second hand. Another person from brasil reaired his tv with 10 dollars. It all depens on your location.

After a month , and following replacement of the wifi module, my tv is working fine.

I just replaced the WiFi module yesterday and it solved the problem also. We will not buy another LG tv again as this tv was a replacement for an LG that went bad while under warranty. This tv was fine until the last update. We feel LG should have acknowledged and sent out WiFi module replacements but they keep saying they can’t find a connection between the two. Granted some people have more issues and they offer service call but it costs. I also realize not everyone can change out the module. The hardest thing was taking out all the screws out of the back of the tv.

I can confirm that I experienced a similar issue on my 55UJ6300, and apparently changing the WiFi RF module worked. I was not using WiFi at all, since I had my TV connected by Ethernet cable to the router, but around November 2018 I started seeing the "Unknown device disconnected" pop up messages. Some days it would happen more often than others. Sometimes a "Wired cable connected" or similar message would also show up, and sometimes a bigger black notice would show up saying "Network connection lost" or something similar. Sometimes the Ethernet connection would actually stop working after this. I also started seeing the 2-3 second pause followed by fast motion to catch up every once in a while. This would happen for example when watching YouTube or Netflix on the TV apps. Netflix would sometimes require me to get out of a movie and back to it for it to resume playing.  Turning on Store Mode would hide the pop up messages, but I am sure they were still there only hidden, since the othe symptoms would persist.

As someone in this thread suggessted, I opened the back of the TV, looked at the RF module, and found a similar one on eBay for less than 10 dollars (here in the US). The module was the same though the revision was a bit higher (1.1 in mine and 1.4 in the one I found). I chose it since I figured maybe a newer RF module would work for a longer time, or had the issue fixed so that it will not happen again in the future after a while. I was able to successfully switch my module with this one, and even though I have not tried WiFi directly, everything I needed seems to be working, and all the issues have disappeared for now. It has only been around 3 days, but I am hopeful that the issue will not come back.