Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

PeterAnagon

Streaming BBCA Video Unwatchable On Wired OLED65C7P LGWebOS But Fine On External Wireless ChromeBook

Question

Just bought new LG OLED65C7P and am blow away with the picture quality of HDR.  I am running the latest available LG  WebOS update:  04.70.36           3.7.0-5711401 (dreadlock s2-drto)

Netflix, Pandora, and Amazon Prime all seem to work fine over LG WebOS

My cable company only offers the BBC America channel in SD (Ugh!) so I decided to stream directly from  BBCAmerica.com ("Killing Eve" S1E1).

My LG OLED65C7P is currently wired to my LAN running approximately 60 mbps as measured with SpeedTest.com.

As another data point, My NetFlix LG OLED65C7P application tests the network ats approximately 66 mbps.

Using LGWebOS, I browsed to BBCAmerica.com  to play "Killing Eve" S1E1.  It  attempted to stream but ultimately hung.

I then hooked up a Chromebook using a wireless connection on my LAN ,  attached it to HDMI1, and it worked just fine.

This makes NO SENSE to me.  How does a WIRELESS  Chromebook over the same LAN and website totally outperform a WIRED LG WebOS?

Your thoughts / solutions / explanations gratefully solicited?  Thank you in advance.

sit

4 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, PeterAnagon said:

Just bought new LG OLED65C7P and am blow away with the picture quality of HDR.  I am running the latest available LG  WebOS update:  04.70.36           3.7.0-5711401 (dreadlock s2-drto)

Netflix, Pandora, and Amazon Prime all seem to work fine over LG WebOS

My cable company only offers the BBC America channel in SD (Ugh!) so I decided to stream directly from  BBCAmerica.com ("Killing Eve" S1E1).

My LG OLED65C7P is currently wired to my LAN running approximately 60 mbps as measured with SpeedTest.com.

As another data point, My NetFlix LG OLED65C7P application tests the network ats approximately 66 mbps.

Using LGWebOS, I browsed to BBCAmerica.com  to play "Killing Eve" S1E1.  It  attempted to stream but ultimately hung.

I then hooked up a Chromebook using a wireless connection on my LAN ,  attached it to HDMI1, and it worked just fine.

This makes NO SENSE to me.  How does a WIRELESS  Chromebook over the same LAN and website totally outperform a WIRED LG WebOS?

Your thoughts / solutions / explanations gratefully solicited?  Thank you in advance.

sit

Basically the web browser in webOS is not the best at streaming data, an on-going bone of contention for many users.  If a site relies on Adobe Flash you are not going to be able to view it, floating/pop-out windows can also be an issue.  If you do a site search (use the search engine of your choosing, the forum search never seems to work for me at least) you will find many posts on the browser.  LG even state somewhere that the browser is not designed for the consumption of streaming data.  LG really want content providers to provide apps so that they do not have to (I believe) have to continuously develop the web browser to cope with the different technologies and implementations that content providers use.

Thank yo u, George.  Excellent answer (though not the one I was hoping for!) Looks like elegant solutions will lag during the transition from cable to streaming. Hopefully, TV competition will force LG's hand.

4 hours ago, PeterAnagon said:

Thank yo u, George.  Excellent answer (though not the one I was hoping for!) Looks like elegant solutions will lag during the transition from cable to streaming. Hopefully, TV competition will force LG's hand.

It would be nice to think that between the BBC & AMC there would be the talent to put together an app for BBC America.  There is already a dedicated BBC webOS app here in the UK, surely it cannot be too difficult to produce one for my American cousins. 

I did trying contacting BBC America, and got this in reply:

[email protected]

11 Apr (11 days ago)

to me

Dear George,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.  Unfortunately at this time we are unable to provide you with the information you are requesting.

We thank you again for your inquiry.

Regards,
Robert
Viewer Relations
BBC America

Please do not respond to this email. If you would like to follow-up, please submit your comments through bbcamerica.com. Thank you!
------

I would suggest that any user interested in getting a BBC America app contacts them at the address shown and voice you interest.