Quantcast

Web browser

Malcolm Owen

Question

7 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Malcolm Owen said:

Hi am trying to watch bt sport from my smart tv web  browser .. but every 5 mins it keeps cutting out and say it’s needs  memory . Iv got a memory stick in my tv but it’s keep saying  flash drive .... wot ever that means .. can you help 

The web browser is only designed for light browsing (there is a link somewhere on the forum to the official LG statement) and not for streaming media.  BT needs to be cajoled in to producing a compatible app for webOS.

• Thanks 1

You are wasting your time even trying to use an LG "smart" TV for streaming anything. It does actually say that you can stream in the TV's information, however this is a lie, LG have intentionally capped the memory on their TV's, they will be people who insist that the browser is not for streaming content, but just for checking your email and looking at Facebook, that's nonsense, again I will point to the fact that it states in the TV information that you can stream. Also if this is the case, why does other brands not have the same problem? The problem is that LG so called "Smart" TV's don't have enough on board memory, unlike say, an android TV that have up to 16 Gigs of memory and will let you load streaming apps such as Kodi. I have read on this very site, that many many people have the same problem and they have had this problem for years now. I myself have this problem, that if I try to watch a movie online or even through the Youtube app, you will constantly get the error message that the app needs to close to free up more memory. This in my opinion makes LG "Smart" TV's not fit for purpose and I deeply regret buying this expensive brick. People have complained to LG about this problem and LG have admitted that they do this, because they would break their term of agreement with this service providers, if they allowed people to stream content outside of these expensive pay to view apps. Ohh and by the way, good look trying to get LG to do anything about it, they don't give a shit about you. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ironmonkey said:

You are wasting your time even trying to use an LG "smart" TV for streaming anything. It does actually say that you can stream in the TV's information, however this is a lie, LG have intentionally capped the memory on their TV's, they will be people who insist that the browser is not for streaming content, but just for checking your email and looking at Facebook, that's nonsense, again I will point to the fact that it states in the TV information that you can stream. Also if this is the case, why does other brands not have the same problem? The problem is that LG so called "Smart" TV's don't have enough on board memory, unlike say, an android TV that have up to 16 Gigs of memory and will let you load streaming apps such as Kodi. I have read on this very site, that many many people have the same problem and they have had this problem for years now. I myself have this problem, that if I try to watch a movie online or even through the Youtube app, you will constantly get the error message that the app needs to close to free up more memory. This in my opinion makes LG "Smart" TV's not fit for purpose and I deeply regret buying this expensive brick. People have complained to LG about this problem and LG have admitted that they do this, because they would break their term of agreement with this service providers, if they allowed people to stream content outside of these expensive pay to view apps. Ohh and by the way, good look trying to get LG to do anything about it, they don't give a shit about you. 

Hi,

A user here who does not use his LG webOS TV's web browser for streaming content; as I'm happily streaming media through the dedicated apps, and is really happy with his SMART TV brick.  To say that other SMART TV platforms do not have the same issues in untrue, the first result from a Google search throws up this post:

link hidden, please login to view

If you start looking round forums for Samsung you will find many of the same issues with Tizen as there are with webOS.

When you talk about expensive pay-to-view apps there are other free-to-view options in the store, it may be that there are not the ones you want but this is down to content providers not producing the app.  The YouTube app is a constant source of discussion on the forum, but strangely (for me at least) BBC iPlayer, Amazon Video, ITV Player, Channel 4, Five, PLEX all seem to have no issues at all managing the memory available to them.

I myself, like I am guessing many others, purchased my LG webOS device with the expectation that it was going to be first and foremost a television and secondly it would provide dedicated apps for streaming content.  What I did not expect it to be was a full blown replacement for my desktop computer or a huge wall hung mobile like device. 

Would I like to see LG engage with webOS TV users in a better way, well yes of course.  Do LG do well managing a customer's expectations vs reality, sometime. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, George Hofmeister said:

Hi,

A user here who does not use his LG webOS TV's web browser for streaming content; as I'm happily streaming media through the dedicated apps, and is really happy with his SMART TV brick.  To say that other SMART TV platforms do not have the same issues in untrue, the first result from a Google search throws up this post:

link hidden, please login to view

If you start looking round forums for Samsung you will find many of the same issues with Tizen as there are with webOS.

When you talk about expensive pay-to-view apps there are other free-to-view options in the store, it may be that there are not the ones you want but this is down to content providers not producing the app.  The YouTube app is a constant source of discussion on the forum, but strangely (for me at least) BBC iPlayer, Amazon Video, ITV Player, Channel 4, Five, PLEX all seem to have no issues at all managing the memory available to them.

I myself, like I am guessing many others, purchased my LG webOS device with the expectation that it was going to be first and foremost a television and secondly it would provide dedicated apps for streaming content.  What I did not expect it to be was a full blown replacement for my desktop computer or a huge wall hung mobile like device. 

Would I like to see LG engage with webOS TV users in a better way, well yes of course.  Do LG do well managing a customer's expectations vs reality, sometime. 

George I have looked around and I did not see any Android TV's that suffer from lack of memory. There is a huge difference between Android and Webos, not only in the pathetic amount of memory (less than 1Gig to Androids 16Gig), but the totally lacking apps in the totally lacking app store.

So why is there no support for apps like Kodi with LG? You say that is down to the content providers not producing the app? I find that hard to believe, because they have provided an app for every other platform... just not LG, I would go so far as to say that this is down to LG, because they don't want people to get out of paying for streaming content through the likes of Netflix, who they have a contract with. There is even a discussion that LG admitted this much, stating that they "cap" the memory, so people can not stream content, because they would break their contract with these providers. If this is true, they have 100% broken their terms of service.

If there is a problem with other so called "Smart" TV's then it just goes to show you have these companies all shaft people, misleading them into buying something that is not fit for purpose. I could have just paid for a normal HD TV and bought an Amizon firestick, Roku or even a Playstion 3 or Xbox, any number of other media content providers, for far less then I paid for this TV, that can not even open two web pages at once, or even play a few videos in the Youtube app without shutting down.

I keep hearing this excuse that these "Smart" TV's browsers are not for streaming, but just for checking emails and looking at Facebook, However it states in the TV's on board information that you can indeed stream movies though the web browser. It also states that you will defiantly have problems with the lack of memory. This is hidden and I never got to see this information until after I bought this TV. None of the sales people told me any of this, they all said that you can absolutely stream movies online. These are people who indirectly work for LG and represent LG every time they sell an LG product.

LG don't advertise any of this and they absolutely deny that they are even aware of any of these problem.... even though it is all over this very site. So that tells me that they either don't a monkies, or they just cant be bothered to even read any of the complaints from the people stupid enough to buy their products. 

What a scam.      

George I have no idea where you get all your apps on your LG smart TV the only apps I get for streaming are Netflix and Utube all others are foreign languages and are useless to me! My previous LG I got Dailymotion but this new LG has nothing like that! This is also a new LG!

I know it is not my computer or main streaming device but if i want to stream i should be able too!  Enough said! No excuses! LG is not updating me with the apps they have provided to you or many others!

• Thanks 1