Quantcast
Jump to content

  • Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

    Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

  • 0
pmugghc

Showing folder JPGs ?

Question

Hi, I just got a Synology 918+ NAS. I'm trying various options to show all my movies on TV shows on it. Basically, I'd like to have the old-style Windows Media Server  interface, e.g.. I have all my films sorted carefully in different folders and would like to navigate using these folders. Simp0lified example:


Movies folder
  Folder.jpg (indicating movies)
  Comedy folder
    Folder.jpg (indicating Comedy)
    Comedy Movie 1.avi 
    Comedy Movie 1.jpg  
    Comedy Movie 2.avi 
    Comedy Movie 2.jpg  

  Action folder
    Folder.jpg (indicating action)
    Action Movie 1.avi 
    Action Movie 1.jpg  
    Action Movie 2.avi 
    Action Movie 2.jpg  

I have the latest WebOS installed. When I try to use the built-in video-photos DLNA player it doesn't show the folder.jpg for each folder, the folders just have a generic icon. Then the film icons (e.g. "action movie 1.jpg") are truncated at the top & bottom,with  pretty poor quality. But at least I can navigate by folder.

My next try  was to use Plex. It shows each films icon beautifully and some info from the internet (nice to have, but I don't really need). But it doesn't show the folder icons, in fact it doesn't show folders at all, everything seems to be lumped into one big pile. I tried various profiles in the Synology DSM Media Server for the TVs.

Can anyone recommend some media server that behaves like to old Windows Media Server? Seems Kodi isn't running on WebOS.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
16 hours ago, pmugghc said:

My next try  was to use Plex. It shows each films icon beautifully and some info from the internet (nice to have, but I don't really need). But it doesn't show the folder icons, in fact it doesn't show folders at all, everything seems to be lumped into one big pile. I tried various profiles in the Synology DSM Media Server for the TVs.

Plex user here, works great for me although I am unsure what you mean by it lumping everything into one big pile.

My media is sorted in to three groups, TV, films and music.  TV and music are folderised (yes it is a word!), while the films are in indeed in one folder with no sub-division.  Not understanding why you need to see folder icons as the Plex interface neatly sorts these three areas of media. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0

I have my movies in many folders, some examples: Swedish, English, Pirates, Vikings, Comedy, b actor etc.  Some of my TV shows are running series, but I have also documentaries by subject (e.g. Submarines, Ships, Planes, cars etc). So that's why I want to navigate by folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, pmugghc said:

I have my movies in many folders, some examples: Swedish, English, Pirates, Vikings, Comedy, b actor etc.  Some of my TV shows are running series, but I have also documentaries by subject (e.g. Submarines, Ships, Planes, cars etc). So that's why I want to navigate by folder.

OK.

While not a quick fix Plex does give you the ability to create groups, add tag etc which would achieve the same end result and have them searchable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Plex knows, for many movies, what kind of movie it is. It also has the ability to filter you movies on for example Year, Genre, Rating, Director, Actor, Country, Studio.

If you filter on Genre you can select (in my case) on Actie, Action, Adventure, Animatie, Animation, Avonturen, Avontuur (that was only the A :-).

So Plex collects al kind of information on the Movies which you can use to filter them. Or you can add information manually. On the Plex app on the LG TV I can not search by directory.

I can do that on my computer (in the Plex program). There I have the option to browse by folder. If I really want to search for something I find it easier on the computer. Then, after I started the Plex program on my TV, I can start playing the movie on my TV from my computer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, PeterV said:

Plex knows, for many movies, what kind of movie it is. It also has the ability to filter you movies on for example Year, Genre, Rating, Director, Actor, Country, Studio.

If you filter on Genre you can select (in my case) on Actie, Action, Adventure, Animatie, Animation, Avonturen, Avontuur (that was only the A :-).

So Plex collects al kind of information on the Movies which you can use to filter them. Or you can add information manually. On the Plex app on the LG TV I can not search by directory.

I can do that on my computer (in the Plex program). There I have the option to browse by folder. If I really want to search for something I find it easier on the computer. Then, after I started the Plex program on my TV, I can start playing the movie on my TV from my computer. 

When you edit a film's details under tags you can add it to/create 'Collections' which would help narrow things down.  You can also create additional libraries to further sub-divide things.  There also is the ability to queue items to watch which might be what you are looking for.

But going to the computer, finding the item you want to watch, queueing it up and then going to the TV seems a little time consuming when you can just search in the Plex app on the TV itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0
On 10-12-2017 at 3:27 PM, George Hofmeister said:

But going to the computer, finding the item you want to watch, queueing it up and then going to the TV seems a little time consuming when you can just search in the Plex app on the TV itself.

I only do this if I don't know the title of the movie. If you know what you want to see, you can do that on the TV. If you change filters, type part of a name, I find typing on a keyboard and using a mouse faster on the computer.

But of course, YMMV 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Forum Topics

    • Screen Share with Windows 10

      Has anyone been able to run Screen Share from a Windows 10 PC? Mine will not connect to the LG TV.

      By bogeyman62, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

      • 73 replies
      • 134,881 views
    • App for Ultriviolet movies database

      Many store-bought movie discs come with a code to redeem a digital copy of the movie from Ultraviolet.  It is flippin' hard to find an easy way to play UV movies and an app on the TV itself would answer the prayers of millions. Please create an app for webOS that will be able to play my UV mopvies from both my UK and US libraries.

      By Legend for Hire, in LG webOS Wish List

      • 6 replies
      • 529 views
    • Question: Connect TV to server via FTP

      Hi, I will try to make it short. I have a server abroad (Europe) which I use to upload/download with my family. This server also stores my film collection. I have moved to the US and the server remains in Europe. Therefore I am trying to be able to stream a movie in the US from the server in Europe via my LG smart TV (LG Oled 55 B7A). When I go on the web interface of the server on my tv to access a movie, it tells me I cant download from there. How can I stream (not download, just stream) a movie on my TV from my server located in Europe? Seems simple (in principle) but can't find a way. Thank you

      By nicobdx, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

      • Awaiting best answer
        
      • 0 votes
      • 1 answer
    • Screencast and Windows 10: Solution!

      Hi everyone so I searched high and low for a solution to my issue with Windows 10 and Screen Cast on my LG UK6300PUE not working and finally found a solution. For me, it had to do with my PC and TV connections. I like to hard wire everything and with both my PC and TV, they default to the more reliable, wired connection and disconnect the WiFi. Well from what I understand, Screen Cast is based off of Intel's WiDi technology, WHICH REQUIRES WIFI CONNECTIONS TO WORK! I did go through all the other suggestions, checking share settings in Windows and Media Player, resetting this and that. I'm not sure if I had to do any of that for Screen Cast to work but I did try all those common suggestion initially. So if Screen Cast is  still not working for you, try those other suggestions posted in numerous places here and other forums. I'm really surprised on all the forums I visited, this wasn't pointed out anywhere! I hope this helps those having issues with Screen Cast!   TL; DR: So basically on a WIRED connection, I could see my TV on my Windows 10 PC, but it would not connect. As soon as I connected BOTH my PC AND TV to WiFi, Screen Cast began to work.   My current LG UK6300PUE Software Version: 04.10.04 Windows 10 64-bit Build: Version 1803, OS Build 17134.34

      By Ryan Lee, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

      • 0 replies
      • 449 views
    • Synology - DS Video App

      We need DS Video app for Sinology NAS. samsung already has it.  

      By ccorreia, in LG webOS Wish List

        
      • 32 replies
      • 40,233 views


×