Quantcast

Questions about LG Web OS Smart TV and Dish TV Set Top Box

AnonViewer

Question

Hi,

I purchased a new 43" LG 4K TV in India couple of months ago. Model Number is 43UJ652t. I use Dish TV DTH service for watching TV. I connected my Dish TV HD Set Top Box  to the TV through HDMI port (HDMI 1)

I have couple of questions - 

1. When I select the HDMI input to watch TV, the following information is displayed on the top-left corner of the TV (See pic 1 below). It says 720p there. What does it mean? I have  HD set top box with HD Channel subscription. Why is it saying 720p there even when I am watching HD channels?
  2. There is an Icon in the Web OS launcher called Live TV (see  pic 2 below). It doesn't work with DTH set-top boxes? Does it only work with Antenna and Free to Air channels?
  3. The TV guide icon (see pic 3) in the Web OS launcher doesn't doesn't play the TV Guide for my Set-Top Box. It asks me to fine tune the programming first  but Auto-tuning doesn't find any channels? Is the TV Guide functionality available only for the Antenna and  FTA channels?
  4. Can I add channels from my set-top box to the My Channels menu (see pic 4)?
  5. How do I add shows from Amazon Prime to the "My Content" menu for easy access. Currently, it only allows me to add YouTube content
  6. Can I add a specific channel from my Dish TV set top box as a long press shortcut in my LG Magic Remote?
  7. In the below LG videos, when the presenter selected  the STB while setting up Live TV, the TV automatically searches for the channels and populates the TV Guide? Is it not possible to do it for Indian DTH set top boxes?

These questions are driving me mad. Please help me in understanding the LG Web OS System better

20171031_172915.jpg

Pic 2.JPG

Pic 3.JPG

Pic 4.JPG

14 answers to this question

1. You should set resolution within STB menu. Both 720p and 1080p are HD resolutions, with 1080p usually being called Full HD.

2.  Live TV works only with channel you are receiving with coaxial antenna cable plugged directly in TV (terrestrial, cable or satellite channels)

3.  TV Guide is available only for Live TV channels. Use your STB remote for the Guide.

4.  Only Live TV channels may be added to My Channels.

5.  I do not know.

6.  I believe that you cannot. Maybe you can if you pair TV's remote with STB.

7.  That probably works only with some specific STBs.

5. You should download an app from the store for that, but I don't know if that is available everywhere.

7. No, for me, you can not do that. If you install the STB correct you can access functions from it with the Magic Remote but, in my case, it is not as easy as with the remote from the STB. You can do a lot, but not everything.

Most of the time I use the remote of the STB which I could program to work with the LG TV (volume, on/off). Only when I use apps from the LG TV I use the Magic Remote. If I only want to change a channel or the volume I use the remote close to me :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nemilose said:

1. You should set resolution within STB menu. Both 720p and 1080p are HD resolutions, with 1080p usually being called Full HD.

2.  Live TV works only with channel you are receiving with coaxial antenna cable plugged directly in TV (terrestrial, cable or satellite channels)

3.  TV Guide is available only for Live TV channels. Use your STB remote for the Guide.

4.  Only Live TV channels may be added to My Channels.

5.  I do not know.

6.  I believe that you cannot. Maybe you can if you pair TV's remote with STB.

7.  That probably works only with some specific STBs.

1. I couldn't find any setting in the STB to change resolution. It's a FHD Set Top Box for sure. I should be getting 1080p. I tried many FHD channels but it shows 720p there
  2. Does connecting my STB with the other type of cable (sorry i don't know what those cables are called) help in any way? Also, check this link  -
    link hidden, please login to view

As per this LG help article, both Antenna and DTH should work similarly in fetching the TV Guide and tuning channels. If I go by that article, connecting through HDMI shouldn't make any difference 

3 hours ago, PeterV said:

5. You should download an app from the store for that, but I don't know if that is available everywhere.

7. No, for me, you can not do that. If you install the STB correct you can access functions from it with the Magic Remote but, in my case, it is not as easy as with the remote from the STB. You can do a lot, but not everything.

Most of the time I use the remote of the STB which I could program to work with the LG TV (volume, on/off). Only when I use apps from the LG TV I use the Magic Remote. If I only want to change a channel or the volume I use the remote close to me :-)

5. Which app? Amazon Prime? I downloaded it and  even logged in with my Prime Account  immediately after getting the TV. But I couldn't add shows from the Prime App to  the My Content page

42 minutes ago, AnonViewer said:
  1. Does connecting my STB with the other type of cable (sorry i don't know what those cables are called) help in any way? Also, check this link  -
    link hidden, please login to view

As per this LG help article, both Antenna and DTH should work similarly in fetching the TV Guide and tuning channels. If I go by that article, connecting through HDMI shouldn't make any difference 

I was not aware of this feature, but it seems that you need to have a compatible STB with supported service provider.

HDMI is certainly the best way to connect STB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnonViewer said:

5. Which app? Amazon Prime? I downloaded it and  even logged in with my Prime Account  immediately after getting the TV. But I couldn't add shows from the Prime App to  the My Content page

I don't have the app so I can not help you with that. But 'My Content' (in mine language 'My Programs' I think) can only be used for antenna signals.

Just like you can not record programs (int Time Machine) if you don't have an antenna signal. It just doesn't work with a STB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnonViewer said:
  1. I couldn't find any setting in the STB to change resolution. It's a FHD Set Top Box for sure. I should be getting 1080p. I tried many FHD channels but it shows 720p there

It looks like you have to be in the Main Menu -> Installation -> System Setting and than HD Resolution. But you could have an other STB.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterV said:

It looks like you have to be in the Main Menu -> Installation -> System Setting and than HD Resolution. But you could have an other STB.

Thank you so much. Finally found it. In my STB (Model - DishNXT HD) it's under Menu ->My Dish TV->Audio  & Video -> HDMI Resolution. 

It's so dumb that by default it was 720p. No one ever selected it as far as I can remember 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterV said:

I don't have the app so I can not help you with that. But 'My Content' (in mine language 'My Programs' I think) can only be used for antenna signals.

Just like you can not record programs (int Time Machine) if you don't have an antenna signal. It just doesn't work with a STB. 

Actually, I am able to add YouTube videos to "My Content". It's not only for Antenna Signals. I just want to use it for Amazon Prime Video  and can't figure out how. Online LG tutorial videos market that feature but it's not working for me

11 hours ago, nemilose said:

I was not aware of this feature, but it seems that you need to have a compatible STB with supported service provider.

HDMI is certainly the best way to connect STB.

It would have been such a helpful feature if I can add favorite channels to "My Channels" menu as I am sick and tired of browsing the channels on STB. The channels I watch are too far away from one another in the channel line up.

After watching dozens of LG videos  online, I realized the menu and  features differ from country to country. There is no consistency across Regions even for basic features. . 

There are only 4 major DTH providers in India. Not sure why LG is unable to work with them and make their STBs compatible with the Web OS features. Just like every other LG product I used, Web OS TVs are half-baked and inconsistent . Will go with Samsung for my next TV purchase

8 hours ago, AnonViewer said:

It would have been such a helpful feature if I can add favorite channels to "My Channels" menu as I am sick and tired of browsing the channels on STB. The channels I watch are too far away from one another in the channel line up.

Sometimes you can group your channels in the STB, make a list of favorites.

@AnonViewer Some UI (User Interfaces) have a "save new settings" or similar banner to click, often at the bottom of settings pages. Check that out in case it is needed, after changing your resolution.

If it is still failing to save that new setting, see if there are any software updates (new firmware) for that particular DishNXT HD model.