Welcome to LG webOS - Smart TV, Phone, Signage, Appliance User to User Support Forum

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SnakeFighter

Please assist with 5.1 out...

Question

Hi Everyone

Not sure if anybody's able to shed any light on this....

I recently bought a 55UF860V, which I like a lot.  I have it connected to a Pioneer HTP-072 sound system, which is working nicely, BUT I have discovered that I cannot get 5.1 surround sound out of the TV.  I have tried using both the optical out and the HDMI ARC thing, and both appear only to output stereo.

I've had a good old fiddle with the menu settings, no no avail.  5.1 works fine with anything connected directly to the sound system.  Funny thing is, I could have sworn that it used to work- I previously had an HDMI cable in use that didn't want to work with ARC, but since swapping it with another, I have been unable to enjoy Netflix in surround sound.  Really wierd.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Cheers

Charlie

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

3 answers to this question

It is a setting, go to audio setting, sound out and change digital sound out to "auto".

Thanks for the reply, Shayne.

I've got that setting in place already,though, any other ideas?

Charlie

OK, here's an odd thing.

The setting you mentioned above does seem to have been the culprit.  Having changed it to/from "Auto" several times", all of a sudden, the 5.1 seemed to spring into life.

Also, I've been trying to get ARC to work, but it looks like too much trouble, tbh.  LG's implementation seems to be at odds with my other connected gadgets, so I'm getting strange goings-on.  Back to optical for me!

Thanks again

Charlie

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By uKER
      I recently purchased a B6, and came to realize my good old AVR (a Denon 1612), featuring HDMI 1.4, won't do HDR pass-through, so intending to keep the Denon, I switched to having the TV in the middle, instead of the AVR as I did until today.  I have managed to get audio sent from the TV to the AVR via both ARC and optical, multichannel working fine, but the problem came when I tried to have multichannel audio from the PC to the TV.
      The problem is, the PC (using a GeForce 1070) sees the TV as accepting only stereo PCM audio, and only allows to select stereo in the device's speaker setup. Needless to say, I need 5.1 PCM to get multichannel audio in PC games.
      I even tried using an EDID override, copying the audio capabilities from the Denon to the TV, which allowed me to have Windows think it can send the TV any of the stuff the Denon takes, but even then any audio from channels other than left front and right front  is lost along the way to the AVR. My guess is that for whatever reason, the TV is decoding the stream and only letting L and R through.
      On the bright side of things, multichannel pass-through does works fine for DD and DTS streams, allowing to watch a movie on the PC and have semi-decent multichannel on the AVR. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD, though, are a no go, even using ARC (optical obviously doesn't support HD audio).
      So yeah... Any ideas? Suggestions?
      I'd like to think I won't be forced to buy a new AVR just to have it pass through HDR, so any help will be appreciated.

• By paulc
      I have an LG 55SJ810V TV and Philips CSS5530B Surround Sound Speakers. The speakers work fine with everything except my LG ARC, including optical and BT from the LG and the ARC from a JVC TV, but I just can't get them to work off the ARC from my LG TV.  
      I have played around for hours with the TV settings. The Sound Out is set to External (Optical/HDMI ARC), although it often returns to default internal speakers. I've tried it with SIMPLINK on and off and the mode as Auto and PCM. Nothing sticks. I say sticks because I've had it working for a few seconds a couple of times, then it just goes off. E.g when switching cables from my JVC ARC to my LG ARC it worked for a few seconds.
      I've tried the Device Connector a few times, using either the Soundbar or Home Theatre set up. I've tried this after resetting the TV back to factory settings too. Nothing.
      LG customer services didn't seem too helpful and said a technician would call but if they do they're not quick!
      Any ideas would be much appreciated, otherwise it's going back for another brand because the twin tuner feature doesn't work as expected either (can't record one and watch another).
    • By [email protected]
      I have a new LG 4k UHD TV. 60" if that matters.  I also have a new Yamaha RX-V481 a/v receiver.  
      Try as I might, I can't get the sound from the WebOS apps, like Netflix, Vudu and Amazon prime to play through the receiver. 
      Here's the setup:  HDMI from Xfinity set top box to receiver HDMI in. HDMI out from receiver to TV HDMI input. So far so good. 
      To move sound from the WebOS apps to the receiver, I have the HDMI-ARC output from the TV to another HDMI input (HDMI 3) on the receiver. That input is not labeled HDMI-ARC, and there isn't any HDMI so labeled on the receiver.I have the TV sound settings set to HDMI-ARC, and SIMPLink is turned ON.  But when I turn the selector on the receiver to HDMI 3 I get no audio.     
      Not sure if this is an LG TV or a Yamaha receiver setting issue.  Though I am nearly certain that it is a user error issue.
    • By Jacques Champine
      Deleted Post, moved to correct section of forums