Quantcast

Irritating set top box popup

millski

Question

Hello all, just got myself a 50LB650V-ZN

I have my freesat box set up on HDMI 1, correctly working through the device connector settings, an Xbox one on HDMI 2 and an Apple TV on HDMI 3. When I'm playing on the Xbox I regularly get a grey WebOS popup at the bottom of the screen that simply shows the "set top box" text and icon, with a little "x" to close the pop up above it. It can be closed with the "x" or goes away after 30 seconds or so on its own.

My question is why is it popping up? And how do I stop it?? The set top box is switched off (in standby) and it's not coinciding with any recordings, but it's like the TV has sensed the box being switched on. Is there a way to disable that?

2 answers to this question

Any solution to this?

This is EXTREMELY annoying. I have a Mac Mini setup as a PVR, and every time it wakes up I get a popup while watching another source.

And from a usability standpoint this notice is useless. Why do I want to know that another source has come online? I only care if a source is availble when I go to view that source.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By John Bizeray
      I recently updated the firmware on my  LG43UH610V.  Now I constantly get "Wired Lan cable disconnected" / "Wired network is connected" messages even while watching a video file from my NAS. The TV is connected and using the network while getting these messages. It has always been on a fixed IP address on the LAN.
    • By Benjamin De Graaf
      As in title.
      Everytime I watch something on Plex I get constant Dolby vision pop ups, sometimes random and sometimes staying for multiple minutes. 
      there isn’t anything wrong with the playback, it’s just the constant pop ups that are very annoying and frustrating that I can’t disable them.
      Other manufacturers have the option to disable it, so I can’t imagine why webos shouldn’t have it. 

thanks in advance, have a nice holiday! 
    • By Michael Ausec
      I purchased a LG OLED TV in December 2017.  It is great, except for one annoyance. Every 15 minutes, a  HDMI2 popup appears in the center of the screen. It disappears after a few seconds.  This repeats ad infinitum.  My TV connections are  very simple.  One coax cable input to the Cable Box.   HDMI output from the Cable Box  to the TV's HDMI1 input.   The coax output from the Cable Box is connected to a Magnavox DVR.  The DVR is connected to the TV's  HDMI2 input .   The DVR is "off" when we watch normal TV on the HDMI1.   I've searched the internet for a solution, without success.  Any ideas?

• By Julio Henrique Morimoto
      I've had an LG 47LB6500 for about five months now. I love the TV and it's great. Except one thing that I find irritating is a constant AV input popup that keeps reappearing over, and over, and over.

While watching any content from any input, the popup appears.
      link hidden, please login to view.  
      The only device plugged to the TV is an HDMI Sky HDTV Set Top Box, and there is nothing plugged into any AV input. WebOS seems to enter some variable loop, displaying several of these popups in sequence. Often, the number of popups is such, that the TV will freeze trying to show all of them. I can only assume a lot of its CPU is being used to render them. The TV will become unresponsive until all popups disappear. The annoyance may last a couple of minutes, but it happens everytime the TV is turned back on.

From the input configuration screen, I can see the AV input is active. .

Once it's removed, the popups are gone. But once the TV is turned off and back on, WebOS will scan for devices and these empty AV inputs are back on the list... and the parade of popups will follow.

As a user, I have to consder this a bug. And it's a very irritating one. These popups cover subtitles and seem to show up minutes after the TV is turned on. Please provide a fix with a firmware update or, at least, provide a workaround to make it stop.

Kind regards!
      Julio
    • By Pop Silomsuite
      Hi. i just recently bought new LGwebos TV um7290ptd. 

i pluged all Hdmi cable which is working fine.
      But after a while there is annoying popup message "HDMI3 now available" (which connect to PC) where the Computer off.
      where can i turn off these message it pop up constantly... 
      thanks in advance.