Quantcast

Picture quality WebOS holding back streaming apps.

FRENK

Hi, 

I recently tested out three (EU) LG WebOS tv’s from the year 2021:

- LG 65UP78006LB (2x)

- LG 65UP886PB (1x) (currently owning)

When i was done setting up the tv’s without anything connected to the tv except wifi, I was presented by the beautifull backgrounds, however I noticed the poor picture quality on all three tv’s. After pressing the home button I noticed it even more by watching at the covers of the movies shown on the homescreen.

I was wondering if this was just how LG tv’s are supposed to look like, but then I switched to HDMI without anything connected just to see the backgrounds and “Wow” there was the picture quality i was expecting.. with a very sharp picture and fine details. Keep in mind these backgrounds are the same on all inputs. After pressing home to WebOS and testing out some streaming apps i noticed the bad picture quality again.. except when watching HDR content and getting the HDR logo top-right of the screen. Thats when the picture quality and sharpness gets to what its supposed to look like but all other content without HDR being activated there’s a poor quality and i know its not supposed to look amazing like HDR but also not this poor. 

if any developer can test this out and hopefully do something about it for the next update that would be lovely.

Set up the tv without anything connected. (Only wifi or ethernet.

Switch input to Live-Tv and compare the backgrounds to the backgrounds on HDMI input. Also check the covers of movies in the home menu. For some reason the home menu is identical to live tv input when it comes to poor picture quality

Other than the picture quality i am really enjoying the WebOS and how easy it is to use.

if the picture quality gets fixed i would consider WebOS the best operation system out there.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Thankyou and excuse me for the long message.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What were you using as input before switch to HDMI?  What are you watching?  Youtube TV?  Youtube? Some other app?  Your wifi might not have a strong enough signal and then the TV is choosing a resolution that it can support for your wifi.  And that maybe lower resolution.  I have read that the LG TVs have very slow ethernet cards so if you try to watch something from the internet, I would suggest staying with the wifi and not trying ethernet.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for commenting.

basicly all apps that are running through WebOS aswell as the WebOS homescreen.

What’s the recommended mb/s for the WebOS to display 4k resolution? I currently have a booster next to my tv thats supplying around 70mb/s. Could that be the problem?

That’s plenty i guess. I currently have a subcription for 270mb/s through optical fiber. however its limited through the booster i’m using. I might try running a ethernet cable from the main modem/router to the Tv to see if that works.

i’ll let you know if that did the trick.

May is ask you what LG TV you’re using and which version of WebOS?

Thank you

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By GiotisCy
      Hello, 
      I have recently purchased an LG C2 Oled TV which I connected with my Samsung HW-Q800B 5.1 soundbar via eArc HDMI. When I select "Passthrough" as a Digital Sound Output on LG TV sound advanced settings, there is an obvious sound response delay around 3 seconds when I pause and unpause the movie on Netflix or Prime video streaming apps on LG TV. For example, when I start the movie, the video starts and sound starts 2-3 secs later. When I pause the movie, the sound continues for 2-3 secs after the video has been stopped. There is no any lip sync issue, just this response delay of the sound from the soundbar. This happens only on LG TV Apps. If I connect to an external HDMI device such as AMAZON Fire Stick 4K, there is no such sound delay issue neither on Netflix neither on Prime Video. 
      Thus, the problem seems to be on LG TV apps.
      If I change the Digital Sound Output to "Auto" instead of "Passthrough" the issue is gone but sound quality is not as good as with Passthrough selected. So I do not want this to be my option.
      I would appreciate if someone could come with a solution on this. 

• By codepoet
      Greetings Touchpad users! The webOS Nation Forums went down this month -- unceremoniously redirected to some crappy review site, despite the community's pleas to let us save or preserve it in some fashion. As a result, we're looking here (and other places) for some kind of community forum!
      For those who visit here, I wanted to let you know that despite all recent set-backs, the legacy webOS community is alive and well, still using our Touchpads, Pres, Pixis and Veers in 2023!
      Resources to get online, apps to try out, and lots of other things to do can be found at webosarchive.org
      We've also got a Discord server going -- it even connects to webOS Devices, through a modern app called SimpleChat. Come join us at docs.webosarchive.org/community
    • By News Reporter
      link hidden, please login to view
    • By News Reporter
      Company’s Latest TVs Geared up With Luna, GeForce NOW at 4K for More
      Compelling, All-Around Cloud Gaming Experiences, Plus 2020 Models Now Streaming

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 5, 2023 — LG Electronics (LG) is demonstrating its strong commitment to delivering a premium TV gaming experience that offers enhanced convenience through the new webOS UI featuring a dedicated gaming hub, the addition of cloud gaming service Amazon Luna and buttery-smooth gameplay at 4K 60 FPS streaming via NVIDIA GeForce NOW on its latest TVs at CES 2023.
      Popular cloud gaming services, which can now be conveniently accessed from LG Game Card on webOS 2023, including simply via voice command*, offer avid and casual gamers alike numerous gaming titles from leading partners such as NVIDIA, Blacknut, Utomik and now Luna and Boosteroid, with no downloads or additional hardware needed. LG’s award-winning OLED TVs supply players with the smoothest gameplay courtesy of superior image quality, an ultra-fast 0.1 millisecond response time and super-low input lag, as well as a more personalized gaming experience through various customization features including Game Optimizer and genre-specific picture settings.
      Already available in FHD on 2021 and 2022 LG TVs running webOS 6.0 or above, GeForce NOW is now streaming on 2020 models, and will start streaming in 4K on select models later this year, LG TV owners being among the first to stream impressively smooth, highly immersive 4K gameplay at 60 FPS, on the big screen with just a compatible controller.
      GeForce NOW is NVIDIA’s open cloud gaming service that taps into the thriving PC gaming ecosystem by streaming with world-class NVIDIA GeForce RTX performance. Gamers can play their favorite PC titles already purchased from popular digital stores – including many of the most-played free-to-play games like Fortnite, Apex Legends and Destiny 2 – with and against millions of other PC players. GeForce Now Ultimate members will enjoy streaming at up to 4K resolution at 60 FPS on supported LG TVs, with ultra-low latency that rivals many local gaming experiences.
      Accessible from LG’s Game Card in the US, Amazon Luna is joining other cloud gaming services on the webOS Home Screen of LG’s latest TVs. A Luna subscription offers access to games for everyone, from AAA titles, retro-side scrollers, family games and more, and titles including Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Everspace and Team Sonic Racing, while the Prime Gaming channel gives Amazon Prime subscribers access to various exclusive and free-to-play titles each month.
      LG’s perfect-for-gaming OLED TVs will be on show at CES 2023 from January 5-8 in the company’s booth (#15501, Las Vegas Convention Center). To keep up with every LG CES announcement, follow #LGCES2023 on social media.
      # # #
      * Voice command functionality varies by content provider and will be available by mid-year.

link hidden, please login to view