Quantcast

Tv headphone so I can hear both TV and headphones at the same time

Des Battersby

Question

3 answers to this question

@Des Battersby 

If the TV (sound settings, output mode) will let you leave the internal speakers on with the optical output active then you connect a bluetooth transmitter to the optical input and pair your headphone with it.
If the TV won't let you do that then you will need to split the optical output, connect both a soundbar and the BT transmitter to that.
You will need to set the optical output to PCM stereo in either case.

However, to avoid using a splitter, there is an Avantree unit I have seen (UK and Australian Amazon) that has a pass-through mode (put the unit first in  line, then use a second optical cable to the Soundbar, then pair your Blutooth Headphones to the BT transmitter):

link hidden, please login to view

On 1/21/2021 at 2:04 AM, Des Battersby said:

Get a "spdif to analog" adapter - Bluetooth headphones are suggested.

About $6 US from ebay or similar (it is easy to pay for more than you need). You will also need:

spdif cable [coaxial (orange color phono connector)or optical/Toslink]

usually a 5 vdc power source - using either (center pin positive) :

low cost is a USB to barrel (round) cable to a nearby USB output or

otherwise a small 5vdc power adapter

most adapters have a red & white phono jack outputs, so you may need an RCA to headphone adapter depending on your headphones. (I would choose to transmit via Bluetooth to wireless headphones. but would require a spdif to Bluetooth adapter instead.)

Note: Some LGsmartTVs have Bluetooth built in;  check yours.

LGtv (optical/Toslink or coaxial)   TO  dig/ana adapter  TO  headphones

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By DavidSr
      We have two LG TV's that stopped connecting to our PLEX media server after the last update. TImes out saying "Checking connection speed to Raspberrypi" which the PLEX is on
      Upgraded the Mesh Routers before trying anything, still only the PLEX app doesn't work
      Our other TCL TV and Roku and TIVO still work with Plex, so this is only the LG TV's that can't connect anymore.
      Another annoying error after the last update is that any Streaming app (Amazon, Netflix, and DIsney) now fall out of the app and go back to HDMI port 1 if we pause for 30 seconds.  Which we have always done for a Bathroom break or getting drinks.
    • By Nigelrw
      We ran an ARC sound bar with surround sound on a C9 OLED TV - this works fine . I would like to add a bluetooth headphone for my partner to use as her hearing is getting worse but key is to operate both the sound bar and the bluetooth headphones at same time  - Has anyone done this . I can see away to do it with internal speaker option but quaility of speakers is not too good on the C9. 
    • By KNICKNL
      Can anyone out there use wireless headphones on their LG TV when the HDMI eARC port is being utilized??

• By Carl83
      Hi
      I have a LG 65NANO80VPA which works perfectly overall.

The only issue is that when I connect bluetooth headphones or earphones, the audio is initially perfect but after a minute or two it starts distorting. If I disconnect and reconnect the bluetooth device, the sound goes back to being perfect, but only briefly before developing scratchy distortion as before. I have found this to be the case with Sony XM5 headphones as well as Samsung Galaxy Buds Live.
      I have tried various audio settings on the head/earphones and on the TV and nothing fixes it.
      When I connect a UE Boom 3 bluetooth speaker to the TV, it works flawlessly with no distortion.
      I thought it might be my TV unit that has a problem. I went to a local retailer who has a LG ultra short throw laser projector on display (Cinebeam HU715Q). I took my own head and earphones with and connected to the projector and had exactly the same audio distortion issue, identical to my TV.

This leads me to think it is some compatibility issue between the LG WebOS software and bluetooth earphones/headphones?
      I have searched the web and couldn't find any complaints about the same problem.
      A friend has an older LG TV with an old WebOS version and that TV doesn't give the same bluetooth distortion with my audio devices.
      This issue is a dealbreaker for me and I am looking at getting a different brand of TV as a result, unless someone can come up with a solution?
      Thanks
    • By bobjirous
      Hello,
      I am not able to force my new TV LG 49UN7400 to sound output only for BT - not BT headphones + internal speakers. Headphones are correctly paired, because "headphones + internal speakers" works, but I want hear sound ONLY in headphones and the choice "Bluetooth" is not active/selectable... 😕 Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.