HDMI freeview signal issue

Sampike999

Question

So I recently purchased a new tv LG 50UN80006LC 
I also have an LG home theatre system modal BH7440P
for the freeview I have. ONE FOR ALL SV9143 Full HD Amplified Indoor TV Aerial

using 2 sandstorm hdmi silver edition 3m 
And sandstorm optical cable 3m silver edition  

So my tv Setup is Xbox one,PS4 connect via hdmi all work fine I have my freeview aerial connected to the back as standard I have optical from tv to home theatre system for sound for all
When I connect my home theatre system blu ray player via hdmi to tv my freeview signal completely drops when I unplug the hdmi from the blue ray signal comes back 

is this a defective home theatre system or tv or aerial I’m completely stuck and confused

thanks 🙏

11 answers to this question

@Sampike999 Firstly, indoor antennas are RARELY good enough for Digital HD, unless you are about 2K from the transmitter (even if amplified)! Best get a PROPER roof antenna.

When you plug in any HDMI souce, the HDMI-CEC kicks in, and the TV will GO to that input. Did you try changing inputs back to the Freeview+ (Live TV)?

Is the HDMI input marked as ARC or eARC on the back of the BH7440P by the way?

@Sampike999 Try turning off the HDMI-CEC control for the HDMI port that is causing the issue. It will be called "Simplink"  in LG-speak.

If that is still a problem, try then also turning off the "Quick start+ option on the TV settings, as I hear  this can cause odd issues. To do that:

1. Press the Home/Smart button on your remote to bring up your launcher bar.
  2. Click the Settings icon in the top-right.
  3. Choose the All Settings option at the bottom.
  4. Choose the General menu from the left.
  5. Under Quick Start +, set it to Off.

SIMPLINK is usually under the General settings:

LG_SIMPLINK.thumb.jpg.110214855501ab8ebb523a97b0c68e2b.jpg

@Sampike999 I am a bit confused about your setup. The BH7440P has THREE HDMI ports, 2 inputs and 1 output.  Presumably the 2 INPUTS are used for the XBOX and PS4.  If the HDMI OUTPUT is going to the TV,then this should cary the sound EITHER WAY if it and the TV are ARC/eARC connected and fully supported (by that, I mean when a DVD is playing, then sound goes FROM the player TO the TV, and when the TV is providing the programme source, sound then goes from the TV INTO the Home Theatre system, just like a normal AVR). Therefore I think your should NOT need the TOSLINK/Optical cable AS WELL, and I think that may be the problem (unless there is some other technical issue or need for it). Try this.

Remove the optical cable, then keep the HDMI OUT to TV cable connected, then in the TV settings, ensure you set the SOUND output mode to HDMI, and NOT optical. Then power down (unplug, NOT just standby) the TV AND the BH7440P, turn on the BH first, then the TV, then retest.

By the way, I still think that the SV9143 indoor antenna might be an issue, if you can get a roof mounted antenna, it would be best.

Yeah you are correct about the surround sound hdmi input and output and I am using optical/toslink cable for sound because whenever I put the hdmi out from BH7440P to the tv I lose all signal from the freeview/live tv like something is interfering with the signal as soon as I unplug the hdmi from BH7440P the signal comes back 

So regards to my issue I was up in my loft and found an old aerial so I set that up with satellite cable (ct100) and that has seem to doubled my channels on freeview and some of the interference with signal 

Another question is freeview picture quality normally poor as mine are watchable but no way are they 4K uhd 

@Sampike999 How old is that aerial? The reason I ask, is that older ones were not really good enough for digital TV. Also, I tried to get a good signal (years ago now), with a loft mounted aerial, and it was no good at all. I had to have a chimney mounted one, AND on a 2 foot mast, AND a signal amplifier, as the transmitters were about 18 to 25 KM or so away.

By the way, unless you have a SKY/Foxtel/FETCH TV, or 4K APPLE TV box, you will NOT YET get ANY actual 4K transmissions on terrestrial Freeview TV, you will be lucky to get 1080P,  some are only720P (but they still call it "HD". The TV WILL upscale, but it is not perfect, and it WILL all need a GOOD STRONG signal so as not to have to cope with signal noise.

As regards the signal dropping when you plug in the HDMI cable, I have never heard of that happening, so I suspect a hardware issue in the BH amp device.

@Sampike999 If it is old, it might not have enough director elements at the front (signal shaping devices for better directional pickup for the actual antenna loop rod  near the back end), and might not be wide band (to get all the channels you want). Also, old aerials tend to have corrosion, that can mean signal leakage, or oxidised terminals, making your 80 OHM signal matching way off.

You can get a good aerial from Bunnings, see here:

link hidden, please login to view

Do you have a friend with a TV that you can test your BH player/amp with, for the problem?  Of course if he has a good aerial signal, you might only see the issue with your setup! Or maybe even borrow a spare TV to test with.

Edited by td47
Minor clarification