Quantcast

HDMI ARC - Audio Out Not Working (Again)

I'm not getting any audio from the apps via the HDMI via ARC connection to my receiver.  This occurred two weeks ago and was unable to resolve it, but ironically there was new firmware released that same day for my B6 (3/31/17) and this fixed the issue.  However, now I again can't get it working after a TV reset and tinkering with the audio settings again.  I tried to load the firmware again, but it appears this is not possible to forceable load the same firmware.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I've experienced this a few times with my UF770V set. 

First time, had the mainboard replaced under a support call.

Second time, it was after I'd been messing with settings - found that ARC wouldn't work with HDMI Deep Colour enabled on HDMI1. Disabled it and ARC started working again.

Third time, seemed to coincide with the update to 04.25.56 firmware. After a *lot* of messing about with resetting to defaults, leaving unplugged, changing ARC/HDMI control settings on the TV and sound bar, I discovered that the following fixed it for me.

1. Turn HDMI control off at the TV and soundbar
  2. Turn TV and sound bar off and unplug from power
  3. Disconnect all HDMI leads apart from the one between the TV and soundbar
  4. Plug TV and sound bar in, and turn on
  5. Enable HDMI control on the sound bar
  6. Enable ARC and HDMI control on the TV. Sound output to the soundbar show now work
  7. Turn the TV off - soundbar should turn off with it
  8. Turn the TV back on - soundbar should turn on automatically
  9. Plug the rest of the HDMI leads back in and test again

Also, I found that I had been setting the TV to PCM output, which basically meant stereo output even when the source was 5.1. Leave as Auto rather than PCM.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. Your third solution worked for me after trying all the more obvious ‘solutions’ provided by other users. My set up is an OLED C7 and SK9Y soundbar.

A little disappointed with LG that the set up procedure is so buggy especially between two LG products but delighted the issue is now resolved

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/6/2017 at 11:10 AM, Rich Dowling said:

I've experienced this a few times with my UF770V set. 

First time, had the mainboard replaced under a support call.

Second time, it was after I'd been messing with settings - found that ARC wouldn't work with HDMI Deep Colour enabled on HDMI1. Disabled it and ARC started working again.

Third time, seemed to coincide with the update to 04.25.56 firmware. After a *lot* of messing about with resetting to defaults, leaving unplugged, changing ARC/HDMI control settings on the TV and sound bar, I discovered that the following fixed it for me.

1. Turn HDMI control off at the TV and soundbar
  2. Turn TV and sound bar off and unplug from power
  3. Disconnect all HDMI leads apart from the one between the TV and soundbar
  4. Plug TV and sound bar in, and turn on
  5. Enable HDMI control on the sound bar
  6. Enable ARC and HDMI control on the TV. Sound output to the soundbar show now work
  7. Turn the TV off - soundbar should turn off with it
  8. Turn the TV back on - soundbar should turn on automatically
  9. Plug the rest of the HDMI leads back in and test again

Also, I found that I had been setting the TV to PCM output, which basically meant stereo output even when the source was 5.1. Leave as Auto rather than PCM.

I only created this account to thank you. I was using my OLED TV with my Soundbar without problems when this occurred.  I followed your steps not thinking it would help much but it worked. Thanks a lot you saved my day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well… it worked. I was skeptical as I had tried all these things but it appears that order matters. THANK YOU for posting this solution. My system had been working fine for years and just stopped a couple days ago. It had done this once in the past but a power reset (unplug from wall) solved the problem that time. Again, thank you for posting the solution - would really like to understand why this procedure works - what is set that gets reset and makes it work again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another vote up for @Rich Dowling.  I did have to unplug the speaker one more time to get it to work.

One question I had was "Turn HDMI control off at the TV and soundbar" Not sure what this means.  I followed the other steps. like others, I wished I knew what caused the problem and why this worked. 

I have C9 and SK8Y which worked perfectly for a year until the sound out just stopped one day. As did the ability to turn the soundboard on with the TV.   I have not re-connect any other HDMI port but for the soundbar.  I'll report back

• 5 months later...

I did these steps and it works…….but I have to do this often. TV also constantly drops the internet. I bought two LG TV’s a year ago and both have constant issues. Freezing, won’t connect to internet (fibre optic) and now these issues with my new sound bar.  I have to unplug them to reset constantly. I will never buy LG again. I never had these issues with my Samsung’s. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I am new to the forum and thought this was the closest topic to my issue. I have a LG QNED 85 smart tv with Webos. I only get stereo from my Webos apps and lg live tv with the sound set to pcm using the arc port from my LG tv to my pioneer AVR. If I set the sound to auto or passthrough I get digital noise. I have an Apple 4K tv second gen playing the Arizona prime and Apple + video apps and get 5.1 audio with the sound set to passthrough to the AVR. I also get OTA broadcast tv that gives me 5.1 audio when the sound is set to passthrough. Strangely, I get 5.1 audio from YouTube Webos app for videos that have 5.1 surround otherwise digital noise with the sound set to auto or passthrough. The tv sound out through the tv EARC port to the audio ARC port of the AVR is communicating. My AVR has only ARC capabilities. Also CEC is working with the Apple TV and AVR.  I wonder why Webos apps and LG live tv cannot use the passthrough sound settings to give me 5.1 audio?