Quantcast
Jump to content

LG OLED55C8PTA wifi issue after latest software update


Recommended Posts

Hi I recently updated the software to 5.30 version, and after that I noticed a weird problem with video streaming, in general issue with internet bandwidth. Usually my b/w is ~35 mbps so that is sufficient for 4k streaming on youtube or netflix. The issue is after running for 10-15 mins if I pause the video or go backward the network speed is thrashing badly. For example when I check internet connection on netflix it shows ~30-35 mbps, but whne that problem occurs and I check the speed again I see the speed is dropped to <1mbps. Same with youtube, it can't load 4k videos anymore as the speed is ~1mbps. I can realize the problem as the thumbnails load very slow with scrolling. This problem does not get away unless I restart the TV or disconnect from wifi AP and connect back. The router always works fine I mean when I observe the problem on tv I can run videos on mobile seamlessly and see a speed of ~40 mbps on the same router. The router is kept next to the TV so I don't think it is some issue with wifi distance etc. I don't know what to do. I tried resetting but it removed all my app but it was actually not a so called "factory reset". So software version remained same. To rule out hardware problem I want to revert to previous version of the software but apparently I can't downgrade the software. Is there any other approach to load some previous version firmware?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, the firmware can't be downgraded. LG must provide another update to fix this asap. I am now relieved that other people are also facing the problem. My warranty has been over in May 20, and i was afraid that it is some hw related problem than i am screwed. Let's hope LG addresses this problem asap.

IMG_20210101_113747.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hey Debojit,

a lot of people have the same issue:

 

 

this guy pasted a 'fix', but i didn't try it myself:

link hidden, please login to view
 
1 point·
 

I think I've found a quick fix, til LG releases a new update;

Enter the Network menu (Settings - Network) and make sure you're connected and just wait a sec.

then, close all open TV apps from the "recent" tab, and lunch the one you want again.

this works for me, hope it'll help anyone here.

 

 

fwiw in my situation whether the video was paused or not didn't matter. however i do agree it appears to be some sort of issue with the tv going idle on the network, and I can see the rx speed in the router drop to 6 (from 766).  it's possible that when i have been experiencing it i had already prebuffered the entire video and it went into some sort of network sleep mode and couldn't come out - but that's wild speculation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Yetiboy said:

hey Debojit,

a lot of people have the same issue:

 

 

this guy pasted a 'fix', but i didn't try it myself:

link hidden, please login to view
 
1 point·
 

I think I've found a quick fix, til LG releases a new update;

Enter the Network menu (Settings - Network) and make sure you're connected and just wait a sec.

then, close all open TV apps from the "recent" tab, and lunch the one you want again.

this works for me, hope it'll help anyone here.

 

 

fwiw in my situation whether the video was paused or not didn't matter. however i do agree it appears to be some sort of issue with the tv going idle on the network, and I can see the rx speed in the router drop to 6 (from 766).  it's possible that when i have been experiencing it i had already prebuffered the entire video and it went into some sort of network sleep mode and couldn't come out - but that's wild speculation.

 

In my case the easier solution is to just disconnect from the connected network and reconnect to the same one. No network switch is required. Only pain is every time I need to key in the password. And the real pain is unable to do a true factory reset. Does anyone know how to do a factory reset. I also downloaded the tv firmware from their website but they are saying that can be installed only if tv's present f/w version is lower than the one in the usb drive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Yetiboy said:

you can't downgrade the firmware.

and re: your post on reddit, if you install engineering firmware you run the risk of being marooned forever on that firmware and unable to access any future updates, so it's strongly discouraged.

Thanks for the comment. Looks like waiting is the only option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

I faced exactly the same issue after software upgrade to the latest version similar like you have. I found a quick way around to fix it. You need to disable "Quick start+" from the General settings tab. After doing that re-start your TV and bang Wi-fi speed will be back where it should be. It's just one time process and then streaming will work flawlessly. 

Try it and hopefully it will work out for you as well.

/S

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SM8 said:

Hi,

I faced exactly the same issue after software upgrade to the latest version similar like you have. I found a quick way around to fix it. You need to disable "Quick start+" from the General settings tab. After doing that re-start your TV and bang Wi-fi speed will be back where it should be. It's just one time process and then streaming will work flawlessly. 

Try it and hopefully it will work out for you as well.

/S

Thanks for this solution. I will check and let you know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Debojit Kundu said:

Thanks for this solution. I will check and let you know.

It looks with with Quick start disabled whenever I turn off the tv with power button the Wifi is getting disconnected and turning on again causing the reconnect to wifi. This is similar to my solution where I disconnect from the Wifi AP and reconnect back. But here I need to type in the pwd of wifi every time connect to the Wifi AP. So your solution is better :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Debojit Kundu said:

It looks with with Quick start disabled whenever I turn off the tv with power button the Wifi is getting disconnected and turning on again causing the reconnect to wifi. This is similar to my solution where I disconnect from the Wifi AP and reconnect back. But here I need to type in the pwd of wifi every time connect to the Wifi AP. So your solution is better :)

Great this way around worked for you as well.

Also, i have reported the issue to my local LG representative and waiting for a home visit to fix the problem. As soon as i got a solution from LG, i will post it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Debojit Kundu said:

It looks with with Quick start disabled whenever I turn off the tv with power button the Wifi is getting disconnected and turning on again causing the reconnect to wifi. This is similar to my solution where I disconnect from the Wifi AP and reconnect back. But here I need to type in the pwd of wifi every time connect to the Wifi AP. So your solution is better

Since past 5-6 days even I'm facing the same issue even though my net speed is ~200mbps. Today after going through your posts above, I connected my TV to my router using ethernet cable. And, there was no buffering at all and it was working same as before.

So, looks like this is better workaround till LG comes up with a proper fix for this issue. God only knows when that would happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2021 at 10:46 AM, Debojit Kundu said:

Unfortunately, the firmware can't be downgraded. LG must provide another update to fix this asap. I am now relieved that other people are also facing the problem. My warranty has been over in May 20, and i was afraid that it is some hw related problem than i am screwed. Let's hope LG addresses this problem asap.

IMG_20210101_113747.jpg

I just arrived on the forum ...I have same model and having same problem since the last update 

Software version 05.30.02

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Zaki said:

I just arrived on the forum ...I have same model and having same problem since the last update 

Software version 05.30.02

Solutions

  1. Use wired connection, fool proof solution.
  2. Turn off Airplay. Turn off Quick start (from General settings). Still you will encounter this problem but less frequently. Once this happens turn off the tv using the remote. As quick start is disabled, when you turn it on back the wifi connection would be renewed and you will get normal speed. So simple solution is turn off and turn on.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing of the above suggestions work really. and connecting a cable is not an option for me.

I have a 65E8PLA, was expensive and I feel it was a waste of money - low quality software, and already dead spots on the screen (due to subtitles)

Are we sure LG are aware of this issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Debojit Kundu said:

Not sure..but so many end users are raising this issue on different forums. But apparently disconnecting from wifi ap and reconnecting back works. I have tested quite a few times. If you are still under warranty get it exchanged for your dead spot issue.

I have extended warranty, but per my understanding this is normal and not covered by warranty. Are you sure?

It is not a "dead" spot per se, it is a region with dimmer pixels where the subtitles are. Tried running the rejuvenation thingy even twice, it didn't assist (and I know it just kills the other pixels so it looks the same)

I tried all tricks with disconnecting connecting, connecting to other, changing between 5 and 2.4, it always fails after a few minutes.

I'm using now my nvidia shield for netflix, until LG fixes it (which I doubt they will)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, Debojit Kundu said:

Solutions

  1. Use wired connection, fool proof solution.
  2. Turn off Airplay. Turn off Quick start (from General settings). Still you will encounter this problem but less frequently. Once this happens turn off the tv using the remote. As quick start is disabled, when you turn it on back the wifi connection would be renewed and you will get normal speed. So simple solution is turn off and turn on.

I've already turned off quick settings but how to turn off Airplay??

I really doubt whether LG would fix this issue with an update 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  1. Have an LGOLED55C9PLA .....not updated to this firmware yet too dam scared......but SICK AMD TIRED OF THE POP UP ASKIMG ME TO UPDATE....ONE DAY I CLICKED YES BY ACCIDENT, UNPOWERED THE PC AND IT DIDNT   UPDATE.....HOW DO I STOP THE REMINDER POPUP .????

also wish the WiFi remembered the password, have to enter it every dam time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2021 at 6:05 AM, Arthur Dent said:
  1. Have an LGOLED55C9PLA .....not updated to this firmware yet too dam scared......but SICK AMD TIRED OF THE POP UP ASKIMG ME TO UPDATE....ONE DAY I CLICKED YES BY ACCIDENT, UNPOWERED THE PC AND IT DIDNT   UPDATE.....HOW DO I STOP THE REMINDER POPUP .????

also wish the WiFi remembered the password, have to enter it every dam time

Frankly I don't know. It should be a feature to stop that notification. Looks like you are saved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SM8 said:

Hi all,

LG has updated the software version to 05.30.10. I have upgraded and so far Wifi working flawlessly. Try it out. I believe LG has fixed it.

/S

I am not so sure.

Whenever I run network test from TV netflix I get 8-12Mb (each time running it I get a different reading, ran it 5 times)

If I run the same test from the netflix on my nvidia shield, on the same wifi, sitting next to the TV - it produces a solid 65Mb all the time (5 times ran)

They may have fixed some flakiness issue with the wifi device driver, but it is obvious the TV is still sick.

Not sure when I'll be able to find a TV manufacturer that has solid HW and FW engineers, it may seem all of them have issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Topics

    • By News Reporter
      Company to Share Its Unique Perspective on the Transition to SDVs,
      Demonstrate How LG Software Solutions Address Key Challenges for Future Mobility

      SEOUL, May 17, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG), a mobility sector technology leader, will be sharing its latest insights and innovations at AutoTech: Detroit, taking place in Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A., from June 5-6. Organized by the Informa Tech Automotive Group, AutoTech: Detroit is one of the automotive industry’s premier events, typically drawing over 3,000 industry leaders and experts. This year’s show will explore the latest advancements in automotive technology, including the areas of software-defined vehicles (SDVs), connectivity, electrification and design.
      LG’s AutoTech: Detroit conference session, titled BEYOND THE ROAD: NAVIGATING THE SDV TRANSITION, will focus on the present and future of SDVs. The session will explore three pivotal challenges facing the industry: the technical complexities of developing a unified vehicle operating system, how to transform user experiences through the realization of a “Living Space on Wheels,” and the need to adapt current business models for sustained innovation and value creation.
      The company’s presentation will seek to highlight the critical role of LG AlphaWare in the evolution of the SDV. A comprehensive suite of software solutions, LG AlphaWare empowers mobility providers to collaborate and innovate, supporting them to overcome diverse technical challenges while bringing home-like comfort and connectivity to the in-vehicle environment.
      LG’s session is scheduled to take place at 12:15-12:40 (EST) on June 5 at the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, Michigan. For more information about LG’s session at AutoTech: Detroit 2024, visit
      link hidden, please login to view. # # #

    • By Roy Brown
      webOS updated, I think to 2023, on my C2 a couple of days ago. Since then the News option on the Sky News app no longer works, instead timing out. The Weather and Climate options still work, though.
      I have deleted and reloaded the Sky News app, but the problem remains.
      Does anybody have any suggestions of what I might try to get this working again, or is this something for LG, or Sky, to fix?
    • By Phil7108
      We recently subscribed to Paramount Plus to catch up on episodes we lost when our COX CONTOUR DVR died. Frequently when streaming an episode,the playback will suddenly freeze. If we try to go back, using the "undo" key, we can sometimes get the playback to resume, but it has rewound abp=out 10 minutes. After resuming playback, it will frequently freeze again. My wife is so frustrated, she wants to cancel Paramount. Any suggestions appreciated!
    • By Glamma2311
      My tv is acting strangely after there was a software update (sometime between April 10-15,2024)
      randomly turning off and on -- many times within a few minutes remote works some of the time or only certain buttons goes to a colored screen i.e. purple, yellow, light blue with no image just color sudden annoying continuous, high pitch sound like an alarm Checked and reset the cable box and called cable company. 
      Unplugged and plugged tv back in.
      Change the HDMI input
      It is becoming very frustrating. 
    • By OliverRC
      Up until a few days ago my TV and AVR have been working perfectly since I bought it.
      Zero hassles with HDMI and connectivity.
      Then I was prompted to update to the latest software version which I did and now often when I switch HDMI (running on 1) it picks up the device name, CEC works but I get “No Signal”… and then nothing.
      Just stays on “No Signal”. It is almost as if some HDMI handshake breaks and now the driver is in a broken state.
      I’ve found that if I hard power off and power on the device sometimes works but I don’t want to do that every time especially since it’s hard to get to the power.
      This really strikes me as a software issue with the latest update as absolutely nothing else has changed in my setup.
      I’ve tried:
      Different HDMI cables (high quality) Deep colour settings Reset the TV to factory default Different HDMI ports TV
      Model: OLED65G26LA / OLED65G26LA.HFBQLWK WebOS TV Version: 8.3.0.2301 Software Version: 13.30.56 AVR & Devices
      Marantz SR5015 Nvidia Shield Pro PS5
        The setup is the conventional AVR installation as shown in the attached file

       
      Has anyone else experienced this? 
      Is it possible to revert the software update?
×
×
  • Create New...