Quantcast

LG OLED55C8PTA wifi issue after latest software update

Hi I recently updated the software to 5.30 version, and after that I noticed a weird problem with video streaming, in general issue with internet bandwidth. Usually my b/w is ~35 mbps so that is sufficient for 4k streaming on youtube or netflix. The issue is after running for 10-15 mins if I pause the video or go backward the network speed is thrashing badly. For example when I check internet connection on netflix it shows ~30-35 mbps, but whne that problem occurs and I check the speed again I see the speed is dropped to <1mbps. Same with youtube, it can't load 4k videos anymore as the speed is ~1mbps. I can realize the problem as the thumbnails load very slow with scrolling. This problem does not get away unless I restart the TV or disconnect from wifi AP and connect back. The router always works fine I mean when I observe the problem on tv I can run videos on mobile seamlessly and see a speed of ~40 mbps on the same router. The router is kept next to the TV so I don't think it is some issue with wifi distance etc. I don't know what to do. I tried resetting but it removed all my app but it was actually not a so called "factory reset". So software version remained same. To rule out hardware problem I want to revert to previous version of the software but apparently I can't downgrade the software. Is there any other approach to load some previous version firmware?

Unfortunately, the firmware can't be downgraded. LG must provide another update to fix this asap. I am now relieved that other people are also facing the problem. My warranty has been over in May 20, and i was afraid that it is some hw related problem than i am screwed. Let's hope LG addresses this problem asap.

IMG_20210101_113747.jpg

hey Debojit,

a lot of people have the same issue:

this guy pasted a 'fix', but i didn't try it myself:

link hidden, please login to view

1 point·

I think I've found a quick fix, til LG releases a new update;

Enter the Network menu (Settings - Network) and make sure you're connected and just wait a sec.

then, close all open TV apps from the "recent" tab, and lunch the one you want again.

this works for me, hope it'll help anyone here.

fwiw in my situation whether the video was paused or not didn't matter. however i do agree it appears to be some sort of issue with the tv going idle on the network, and I can see the rx speed in the router drop to 6 (from 766).  it's possible that when i have been experiencing it i had already prebuffered the entire video and it went into some sort of network sleep mode and couldn't come out - but that's wild speculation.

6 hours ago, Yetiboy said:

hey Debojit,

a lot of people have the same issue:

this guy pasted a 'fix', but i didn't try it myself:

link hidden, please login to view

1 point·

I think I've found a quick fix, til LG releases a new update;

Enter the Network menu (Settings - Network) and make sure you're connected and just wait a sec.

then, close all open TV apps from the "recent" tab, and lunch the one you want again.

this works for me, hope it'll help anyone here.

fwiw in my situation whether the video was paused or not didn't matter. however i do agree it appears to be some sort of issue with the tv going idle on the network, and I can see the rx speed in the router drop to 6 (from 766).  it's possible that when i have been experiencing it i had already prebuffered the entire video and it went into some sort of network sleep mode and couldn't come out - but that's wild speculation.

In my case the easier solution is to just disconnect from the connected network and reconnect to the same one. No network switch is required. Only pain is every time I need to key in the password. And the real pain is unable to do a true factory reset. Does anyone know how to do a factory reset. I also downloaded the tv firmware from their website but they are saying that can be installed only if tv's present f/w version is lower than the one in the usb drive. 

5 hours ago, Yetiboy said:

you can't downgrade the firmware.

and re: your post on reddit, if you install engineering firmware you run the risk of being marooned forever on that firmware and unable to access any future updates, so it's strongly discouraged.

Thanks for the comment. Looks like waiting is the only option. 

Hi,

I faced exactly the same issue after software upgrade to the latest version similar like you have. I found a quick way around to fix it. You need to disable "Quick start+" from the General settings tab. After doing that re-start your TV and bang Wi-fi speed will be back where it should be. It's just one time process and then streaming will work flawlessly. 

Try it and hopefully it will work out for you as well.

/S

15 hours ago, SM8 said:

Hi,

I faced exactly the same issue after software upgrade to the latest version similar like you have. I found a quick way around to fix it. You need to disable "Quick start+" from the General settings tab. After doing that re-start your TV and bang Wi-fi speed will be back where it should be. It's just one time process and then streaming will work flawlessly. 

Try it and hopefully it will work out for you as well.

/S

Thanks for this solution. I will check and let you know.

4 hours ago, Debojit Kundu said:

Thanks for this solution. I will check and let you know.

It looks with with Quick start disabled whenever I turn off the tv with power button the Wifi is getting disconnected and turning on again causing the reconnect to wifi. This is similar to my solution where I disconnect from the Wifi AP and reconnect back. But here I need to type in the pwd of wifi every time connect to the Wifi AP. So your solution is better :)

6 hours ago, Debojit Kundu said:

It looks with with Quick start disabled whenever I turn off the tv with power button the Wifi is getting disconnected and turning on again causing the reconnect to wifi. This is similar to my solution where I disconnect from the Wifi AP and reconnect back. But here I need to type in the pwd of wifi every time connect to the Wifi AP. So your solution is better :)

Great this way around worked for you as well.

Also, i have reported the issue to my local LG representative and waiting for a home visit to fix the problem. As soon as i got a solution from LG, i will post it here.

8 hours ago, Debojit Kundu said:

It looks with with Quick start disabled whenever I turn off the tv with power button the Wifi is getting disconnected and turning on again causing the reconnect to wifi. This is similar to my solution where I disconnect from the Wifi AP and reconnect back. But here I need to type in the pwd of wifi every time connect to the Wifi AP. So your solution is better

Since past 5-6 days even I'm facing the same issue even though my net speed is ~200mbps. Today after going through your posts above, I connected my TV to my router using ethernet cable. And, there was no buffering at all and it was working same as before.

So, looks like this is better workaround till LG comes up with a proper fix for this issue. God only knows when that would happen.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:46 AM, Debojit Kundu said:

Unfortunately, the firmware can't be downgraded. LG must provide another update to fix this asap. I am now relieved that other people are also facing the problem. My warranty has been over in May 20, and i was afraid that it is some hw related problem than i am screwed. Let's hope LG addresses this problem asap.

IMG_20210101_113747.jpg

I just arrived on the forum ...I have same model and having same problem since the last update 

Software version 05.30.02

13 hours ago, Zaki said:

I just arrived on the forum ...I have same model and having same problem since the last update 

Software version 05.30.02

Solutions

1. Use wired connection, fool proof solution.
  2. Turn off Airplay. Turn off Quick start (from General settings). Still you will encounter this problem but less frequently. Once this happens turn off the tv using the remote. As quick start is disabled, when you turn it on back the wifi connection would be renewed and you will get normal speed. So simple solution is turn off and turn on.

Nothing of the above suggestions work really. and connecting a cable is not an option for me.

I have a 65E8PLA, was expensive and I feel it was a waste of money - low quality software, and already dead spots on the screen (due to subtitles)

Are we sure LG are aware of this issue?

6 minutes ago, Debojit Kundu said:

Not sure..but so many end users are raising this issue on different forums. But apparently disconnecting from wifi ap and reconnecting back works. I have tested quite a few times. If you are still under warranty get it exchanged for your dead spot issue.

I have extended warranty, but per my understanding this is normal and not covered by warranty. Are you sure?

It is not a "dead" spot per se, it is a region with dimmer pixels where the subtitles are. Tried running the rejuvenation thingy even twice, it didn't assist (and I know it just kills the other pixels so it looks the same)

I tried all tricks with disconnecting connecting, connecting to other, changing between 5 and 2.4, it always fails after a few minutes.

I'm using now my nvidia shield for netflix, until LG fixes it (which I doubt they will)

On 1/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, Debojit Kundu said:

Solutions

1. Use wired connection, fool proof solution.
  2. Turn off Airplay. Turn off Quick start (from General settings). Still you will encounter this problem but less frequently. Once this happens turn off the tv using the remote. As quick start is disabled, when you turn it on back the wifi connection would be renewed and you will get normal speed. So simple solution is turn off and turn on.

I've already turned off quick settings but how to turn off Airplay??

I really doubt whether LG would fix this issue with an update 

1. Have an LGOLED55C9PLA .....not updated to this firmware yet too dam scared......but SICK AMD TIRED OF THE POP UP ASKIMG ME TO UPDATE....ONE DAY I CLICKED YES BY ACCIDENT, UNPOWERED THE PC AND IT DIDNT   UPDATE.....HOW DO I STOP THE REMINDER POPUP .????

also wish the WiFi remembered the password, have to enter it every dam time

On 1/10/2021 at 6:05 AM, Arthur Dent said:
  1. Have an LGOLED55C9PLA .....not updated to this firmware yet too dam scared......but SICK AMD TIRED OF THE POP UP ASKIMG ME TO UPDATE....ONE DAY I CLICKED YES BY ACCIDENT, UNPOWERED THE PC AND IT DIDNT   UPDATE.....HOW DO I STOP THE REMINDER POPUP .????

also wish the WiFi remembered the password, have to enter it every dam time

Frankly I don't know. It should be a feature to stop that notification. Looks like you are saved.

3 minutes ago, SM8 said:

Hi all,

LG has updated the software version to 05.30.10. I have upgraded and so far Wifi working flawlessly. Try it out. I believe LG has fixed it.

/S

I am not so sure.

Whenever I run network test from TV netflix I get 8-12Mb (each time running it I get a different reading, ran it 5 times)

If I run the same test from the netflix on my nvidia shield, on the same wifi, sitting next to the TV - it produces a solid 65Mb all the time (5 times ran)

They may have fixed some flakiness issue with the wifi device driver, but it is obvious the TV is still sick.

Not sure when I'll be able to find a TV manufacturer that has solid HW and FW engineers, it may seem all of them have issues.