Quantcast

Youtube App on LG 55UF7709 behavior changed over time (scrolling vertically, jumping to a certain timestamp)

AndreasW

Question

Hello Community,

I am glad I found this board. Unfortunately the circumstances are not that great. I use my LG 55UF7709 (latest updates are installed) mostly for Youtube and streaming movies from a network storage. Second thing works great. But over the last couple months I see my YT app behaving worse and worse in the little things:

First it started with a different kind of scrolling. I believe after an update I just can't scroll vertically through the YT clips by only using the scroll wheel. This was alwasy working fine but know it is almost like I have to jump start the scroll with the arrow up/dow keys on the remote and than I can use the scroll wheel. Almost feels like it is blocked virtually even though the little red arrow changes its form which is telling me my scroll command is recognized.

Now since a couple of weeks (I think since the last YT app update) every time I use the red arrow to jump to a certain position in the stream the video will start from beginning - no exception.

Has anybody seen these issues, too? Isn't there a official support channel I can use? Looks like LG does not feel responsible for issues with the apps.

Best and Thank you!

Andreas

7 answers to this question

15 hours ago, AndreasW said:

Hello Community,

I am glad I found this board. Unfortunately the circumstances are not that great. I use my LG 55UF7709 (latest updates are installed) mostly for Youtube and streaming movies from a network storage. Second thing works great. But over the last couple months I see my YT app behaving worse and worse in the little things:

First it started with a different kind of scrolling. I believe after an update I just can't scroll vertically through the YT clips by only using the scroll wheel. This was alwasy working fine but know it is almost like I have to jump start the scroll with the arrow up/dow keys on the remote and than I can use the scroll wheel. Almost feels like it is blocked virtually even though the little red arrow changes its form which is telling me my scroll command is recognized.

Now since a couple of weeks (I think since the last YT app update) every time I use the red arrow to jump to a certain position in the stream the video will start from beginning - no exception.

Has anybody seen these issues, too? Isn't there a official support channel I can use? Looks like LG does not feel responsible for issues with the apps.

Best and Thank you!

Andreas

Hi @AndreasW

Unfortunately YouTube update their app whenever they feel like it and LG has no control whatsoever over their actions.  The YouTube app is an example of a hosted server programme and as such it can be upgraded by YouTube without any quality control oversight by LG:

link hidden, please login to view

You will find that the app that is installed on the television is itself very rarely updated, so I am afraid it is YouTube that needs to be told of your problems.

16 minutes ago, George Hofmeister said:

so I am afraid it is YouTube that needs to be told of your problems.

Hello @George Hofmeister,

well thanks for your quick reply in both of my topics 🙂 Good to know that I can save my time and I dont need to contact LG. But asking the other way around: Do you have any idea how I can get in touch with Youtube-Support? Any experience here?

Thanks and Regards
Andreas

@AndreasW In the meantime, after researching @George Hofmeister excellent feedback, have you thought of using a laptop, and controlling the YT app from there, and using the Windows 10 "project screen" functionality? It won't be ideal, but hopefully more controllable and less buggy that on the TV directly.

NOTE: I have had feedback that users need to update the Windows 10 OS to the latest feature Upgrade (that is 20H2 that some call the "October Update"), as it will make the Screen Mirroring (Project Screen) work better for more TV types. The name 20H2 means the update for "second half of 2020" as they went away from YYYYMM naming strings, as the release time-frame could not always be done in the month intended. If your device or country/area cannot get that update yet, update to the older "2004" May update and try the Project Screen,, Failing that, try using an HDMI cable connection, if your PC/Laptop device has an HDMI socket.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 8:06 AM, td47 said:

have you thought of using a laptop, and controlling the YT app from there

Hello td47,

Actually every once in a while I use the iOS YT-App to connect to my LG-TV to choose a vid and push it to the TV. This works very well. I can also jump to any point in time using the iOS App. But whenever the video runs this is quite cumbersome - compared to just using the great LG control and its cursor. And it is a workaround for a problem that wasnt there before. Dont get me wrong: I honor your suggestion 🙂 But this setup was very easy and straightforward before the app on the TV got changed 😕 I dont want to mess around with a notebook, cable, you name it.

Now here my story about contacting the YT team: I tried via Twitter and got in contact with the YT support by chat. The great support lady was nice and tried a lot but in the end no solution - yet. Since this issue is not only happening to me she somehow confirmed it might be an program error. She told me to give feedback IN the app on the TV. This ist what I will try next.

I will keep you updated here 🙂

Andreas

• Like 1