Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Steve Marks

Pause/record using SSD drive

Question

Having read advice on this site I bought a WD 2.5" SSD plus USB adapter so that I could pause and record FreeSAT which is built-in to the TV.  Is there a particular way to set up the drive and if so how?  I've plugged the drive in and can connect to it via Settings but it only offers the options of using media stored on the drive to be shown on screen.  I want to pause live TV and record it.  Does anyone know if this can be done please?

2 answers to this question

@Steve Marks Please post the LG TV model you have, and what country you are in. They don't all support the "Time Machine" in-built app, and in some countries (like Italy), LG have not paid the licence to use the feature for recording broadcast TV programmes.  NOTE: even if you get this working (if your TV supports this), you CANNOT take those recordings off that device, to use on another TV or PC for example (or plug the SSD into another device), they are in a proprietary format, and NOT portable, for copyright and DRM reasons.  Google DRM to see the implications.

If you want to "pause live TV AND record programmes", you may need to get a set-top-box and add a disk to that, OR get a SKY  or FOXTEL box or similar, depending on your country. These can be as cheap as $39 (you have to add your own disk at the front):

link hidden, please login to view

or a big brand with its own 1TB disk, and better functionality for around $400 here:

Edited by td47
typo

@Steve Marks Thanks for confirming the model is an LG UK model 43LM6300PLA

At

shows under "Additional Feature" it shows Time Machine and other DVR related stuff:

Additional Feature
    Time Machine (DVR):    Yes
    Digital Recording:    Yes
    Analog DVR:        Yes
    Time Shift:        Yes

So, in theory this COULD be done, BUT you mention FreeSat. I am not familiar with this, only FreeView+ HBB stuff. Have you tried the normal antenna FTA (digital Freeview+) channels from the normal antenna? Those certainly work on my Australian LG 55UB850T. Can you tune those in, and recheck if you can set up (initialise) the HDD disk for Time Machine use?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By PhylipR
      Hopefully more people will see this solution to an old problem if I start this new thread,rather than just replying and getting tacked on to another thread where many are seeking a solution. 
      The  problem of " Wired Lan cable disconnected- Wired cable connected" is a simple fix. 
      First go to settings scroll down to General-scroll down to Home/Store mode and change to Store Mode. Then when Store Mode screen displays go again to settings and again to General scroll all the way down till you reach "Store Mode Settings" you will then see an option to "Turn Off Notifications" turn it off exit and turn TV back to "Home" and no more annoying messages in the upper corner of your TV. 
      I am assuming this action will also turn off notifications for updates to apps etc. but it is an easy enough thing to check them once in awhile for any possible updates. 
      Initiating this fix is a blessing as far as I am concerned as I was going to dump my LG and buy another brand saved money and sanity. Hope my post helps some of you!
    • By Rukmaj Chandavar
      Hi All,

I recently bought a LG Smart TV with WebOS (42LB6500) and would like to connect to my external hard disk connected over network. Here is how my home network and devices are setup.

I have a high speed broadband that comes to my WiFi router (D-Link DSL 2750U) with USB support for External HDD. I have connected my Seagate Ex.HDD to this router and I am able to access the drive over WiFi on my smartphone and computer using the network path \\192.168.1.1\... Once connected I am able to use it similar to any mount location, i.e., read/write files, play media, etc., I want to do similarly with my TV, I would like to use this connected Ex. HDD as any other location and would like to achieve following two things at the least without any additional hardware Play media files on this HDD (very very important) Use the HDD as recording device for timeshift/live pause feature (important)  
      Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
      Rukmaj
    • By Freewheelin37
      How can I save username & password to specific sites I'm subscribed to in the browser app?  Logging in with the remote is cumbersome at best.  There needs to be a way to automate the process.
    • By Mark67
      One specific web site (motogp) all of a sudden throws up the ssl expired security certificate. Only on my oled55 c9pau.
      It’s  not the date or time and I did a reset. Also deleted cache  and cookies. 
    • By Mach13
      I have a 55UH650V Smart TV Which i'm lovin...  But I can't seem to get the live tv pause to work with a USB drive..   I bought a 64GB USB 3.0 drive which works for general program recording and playing music, picture files on the TV etc... But when I try to pause live tv it says it cant work with this drive choose another?

Is there anywhere that specifically advises on USB spec for this function?

Kinda think it should be in the manual but i cant find it...
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Karan Sheth
      I have a 2019 LG Smart TV but could not find the HBO GO app in the LG Content Store. Could someone please help with this? Is HBO Go app available on LG Smart TVs?
    • By Dominic Lee
      Need help! 
      How do you get Netflix app on the LG TV when it's not showing on the LG content store? 

• By care number
      link hidden, please login to view  2017 model  please help...
    • By Yonatan
      Hello all,
      After reading many forums how to change region for LG smart TV using  Ez-Adjust I gave up.
      I am trying to change my  reading  from IL to US (area code 1793), all forums say the same thing, go to  Ez-Adjust->Area Option and change the id in the first line to the US ID.
      I tried it but there is no way to change the current ID, I type the US id but nothing change, In addition I tried to change it through IN START but nothing, i was unable to change region.
      I hope there is someone here that had the same problem and solved it and can help me.
      I will appreciate any help.

Thanks.