Quantcast

ARC on 2017 LG B7

radtek2

Question

I have been trying for 2 days to get ARC to send audio to my new Anthem AVR from streaming sources. First off I installed a new Premium certified HDMI cable. I have enabled ARC and the Simplink (CEC) in the LG, digital sound is set it to Auto. I have enabled the same (ARC and CEC in the Anthem AVR. I always get the screen on the Anthem displaying "No Signal"! Is there some other hidden or hard to find setting to get the LG's ARC channel to work properly? Anyone else been through this problem and found a solution?

5 answers to this question

@td47  the sound setting on my B7 has a combined setting.  It is Optical/Arc  also if you want ARC you have to enable Simplink which is LG's version of CEC. I have done both but the only audio I get is out of the Optic port not the Audio Return Channel. I am getting a new Premium Certified HDMI cable today and will try that. If that doesn't work I  figured out a work around which will tell me if its the LG or the new Anthem AVR . I have a Oppo 205 BluRay player and it has ARC on its main output and also a dedicated Audio Out  HDMI which I will connect to the Anthem. If i have a functioning ARC channel then I know it is the LG if I don' it is more then likely the Anthem. I say this because the Oppo 205 is one of the most solid players ever I have not heard one squeak about its ARC not working.  I just don't know why this has to be such a struggle. I mean ARC has been around a number of years now it  should have all the bugs taken care of by now.

@radtek2 That does sound rather like a B7 Firmware bug (it should be able to detect which is the "active" one).  Have you by any chance left the Optical/Toslink cable still in place and connected somewhere, as well as the HDMI? It does seem odd though that the settings combine 2 different output methods in ONE option/setting. My older LG has them separate.

@td47 @td47 I don't know how all this got doubled up! ! But at first I did not have the optical audio out hook up I was just trying to get ARC to work. I do have it hooked up now so we can have sound while watch LG apps( Netflix and Amazon Prime). As you can see they are a combo choice but you have to have the Simplink on in order for the ARC to function. I just received the new HDMI cable this evening, Amazon's 2 day shipping took 4 days, so will start on it again tomorrow. I have downloaded the app to my phone which I like makes maneuvering the the Anthems menu easier. Why they would not have an on screen menu in a AVR at this price point who knows. But I digress will let you know if it works out.

Thanks for helping

1543358936_LGsoundmenu.thumb.jpg.57c4509d59d8e8277100fbb4869467bf.jpg

LG sound menu.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Schleimie
      Hey, 
      My question is, can I install webos4.0 or higher on my lg 49uj701v, for example via a USB stick with an .apk ? I would like to download Paramount+.
      Thanks a lot
    • By BHAVIN PATEL
      Why LG not given proper solution for old customer so this not LG good brand 
    • By Alex
      Sling TV Now Available on 2017 LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD Models; Channel Plus Reaches 100+ Premium, Digital Channels

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Aug. 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The popular webOS smart TV platform from LG Electronics continues to raise the bar with major additions to its already robust content offerings. Leading that expansion are the addition of Sling TV to 2017 LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD smart TV models and the continued growth of the Channel Plus app which has now surpassed 100 channels of content.
      link hidden, please login to view The popular webOS smart TV platform from LG Electronics continues to raise the bar with major additions to its already robust content offerings. Included in the expansion is the continued growth of the Channel Plus app which has now surpassed 100 channels of content.
      OLED and LG SUPER UHD webOS 3.5-enabled smart TVs – is the first of its kind to offer live and on-demand OTT television services, including general market, Latino and International live and on-demand programming." data-toggle="lightbox" data-type="image" href="https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/542466/LG_Electronics_USA_Sling_TV_Image.jpg?w=1600" onclick="omniture_corousal('Carousel lightbox Page','General Open','LG_Electronics_USA_Sling_TV_Image.jpg','General')" style="color:#00837e" title="Expand, share and download" rel="external nofollow"> Sling TV – now available on 2017 LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD webOS 3.5-enabled smart TVs – is the first of its kind to offer live and on-demand OTT television services, including general market, Latino and International live and on-demand programming. The 2017 LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD TVs feature webOS 3.5, the latest version of LG's award-winning smart TV platform, which makes switching between content options – including broadcast TV, streaming services and external devices – simple and fast. With the LG Magic Remote and refined launcher bar, viewers have access to a limitless world of premium content – including 4K Ultra HD and high dynamic range (HDR) streaming content – from the most popular entertainment providers including Netflix, Amazon Video and Vudu, as well as Sling TV and Channel Plus.
      "The addition of Sling TV and more Channel Plus content provides LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD TV owners access to a robust slate of live TV and on-demand content," said Matt Durgin, LG Electronics USA's director of content innovation. "With literally hundreds of channels from top-tier content providers at their fingertips via our webOS smart TV platform, consumers can enjoy the content they love when they want to see it and on some of the top-rated TVs on the market."
      Channel Plus
      Powered by XUMO, Channel Plus is a unique, intuitive streaming service integrated into 2016 and 2017 LG smart TVs running webOS 3.0 and 3.5. Channel Plus delivers both live and on-demand streaming content through an innovative interface that presents over-the-air broadcast channels alongside over-the-top (OTT) streaming channels.
      "The innovation behind seamlessly merging 100 different linearly programmed OTT streams with the traditional channel lineup provides a remarkable value-add for LG customers," said Stefan Van Engen, XUMO's senior vice president of content programming and acquisitions. "The increased distribution and easy discovery of new content and channels on webOS makes Channel Plus a solution that directly aligns with the strategic distribution plans of our digital-first partners."
      Among Channel Plus offerings are Bloomberg Politics (IP-129), Funny Or Die (IP-201), Just For Laughs (IP-203), Baeble Music (IP-286), PBS Digital Studios (IP-291), Family Feud (IP-310), People/Entertainment Weekly Network (IP-321), Cheddar (IP-361), Tastemade (IP-406), HSN (IP-457), Refinery29 (IP-460) and more.
      Sling TV
      Sling TV – now available on 2017 LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD webOS 3.5-enabled smart TVs – is the first of its kind to offer live and on-demand OTT television services, including general market, Latino and International live and on-demand programming.
      Also available on 2016 LG smart TVs since earlier this year, Sling TV is the number one live OTT service based on the number of OTT households as reported by comScore as of April 2017. Sling TV is available on smart televisions, tablets, game consoles, computers, smartphones and other streaming devices.
      Sling TV offers two domestic streaming services and extras that collectively include more than 150 channels and programming content from Disney/ESPN (Sling Orange/single-stream only), Fox (Sling Blue/multi-stream), NBC (Sling Blue/multi-stream), NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL Network, Pac-12 Networks, HBO®, SHOWTIME, STARZ, AMC, A&E, Turner, Scripps, GSN, Hallmark, Viacom, EPIX, AXS and Univision. Additionally, Sling TV offers a suite of standalone and add-on Spanish-language packages and services tailored to English-dominant, bilingual and Spanish-dominant U.S. households. Sling TV also provides more than 300 channels in 22 languages across multiple devices to U.S. households.    
      For more information on LG OLED and LG SUPER UHD TVs, please visit .  
      "LG" and the LG logo are trademarks of LG Corp. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
      About LG Electronics USA 
      LG Electronics USA Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a $48 billion global force and technology leader in home appliances, consumer electronics and mobile communications. LG Electronics sells a range of stylish and innovative home entertainment products, mobile phones, home appliances, commercial displays, air conditioning systems and solar energy solutions in the United States, all under LG's "Life's Good" marketing theme.

SOURCE LG Electronics USA
      Related Links

• By davexnet
      Hello -
      after no updates for approx. 2 years, the TV updated to 06.00.03 about 4 months ago, now to
      this latest, which is described as a bug fix release.

This release has changed the  TV picture, it is too bright, almost garish, with a decidedly blue color cast -
      Let's be honest, a stable and properly balanced image was never one of the TV's strong points, now it's almost unwatchable.
      Why would anybody update the TV firmware picture settings of a 4 year old TV in such a drastic way? 
    • By Void Toast
      Please consider adding a new menu for 2017 OLED's  in HDR Game mode preset called "Static Tone Mapping" to picture options with a selection of 4000 nits (default) or 1000 nits.
      The reason so many complain about dim HDR on 2017 OLED's is down to an overly tone mapped image, game consoles HDR titles are mastered in 1000 nits range, LG's default tone mapping is set to 4000 nits and because the consoles do not send any HDR metadata, LG tone maps 1000 nits content to 4000 nits. We know this is the cause as advanced tools like HD Fury Vertex can trick the TV into thinking it's 1000 nits content and give correct looking HDR (very complex thing to setup far beyond normal users).
      This is entirely fixable by giving us a menu under game mode to force the TV to tone map to 1000 nits instead. If you read around online I'm almost certain this is what the special "Active HDR dynamic contrast = low" under Cinema mode does but this setting is not the same under any other preset.  Maybe the "Active HDR" trick is not possible under game mode but forcing the TV to 1000 nits tone mapping is because the HD Fury Vertex can do it so the TV has the capability.
      The 2018 models do not have this issue as they have "Dynamic Tone Mapping" under picture options so please throw us 2017 owners a bone on this, thanks.
      (Yes game consoles could possible fix this by sending metadata but that's unlikely).