Quantcast

Static Tone Mapping for 2017 OLED's (fix dim game HDR)

Void Toast

Please consider adding a new menu for 2017 OLED's  in HDR Game mode preset called "Static Tone Mapping" to picture options with a selection of 4000 nits (default) or 1000 nits.

The reason so many complain about dim HDR on 2017 OLED's is down to an overly tone mapped image, game consoles HDR titles are mastered in 1000 nits range, LG's default tone mapping is set to 4000 nits and because the consoles do not send any HDR metadata, LG tone maps 1000 nits content to 4000 nits. We know this is the cause as advanced tools like HD Fury Vertex can trick the TV into thinking it's 1000 nits content and give correct looking HDR (very complex thing to setup far beyond normal users).

This is entirely fixable by giving us a menu under game mode to force the TV to tone map to 1000 nits instead. If you read around online I'm almost certain this is what the special "Active HDR dynamic contrast = low" under Cinema mode does but this setting is not the same under any other preset.  Maybe the "Active HDR" trick is not possible under game mode but forcing the TV to 1000 nits tone mapping is because the HD Fury Vertex can do it so the TV has the capability.

The 2018 models do not have this issue as they have "Dynamic Tone Mapping" under picture options so please throw us 2017 owners a bone on this, thanks.

(Yes game consoles could possible fix this by sending metadata but that's unlikely).

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.