Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Zedric

Has LG crippled my smart TV

After purchase my LG smart tv was able to pick up DTT (digital Terrestial Transmitters in the local area. These channels failed to work after some time and it was assumed that they were switched off due to the never ending wait for South Africa to migrate fully to digital.

However tuning my sons Hi Sense tv the said channels were found and indeed are operational as  digital HD channels

Returning to my LG tv i changed the location to digital , retuned and lo and behold the digital channels appeared on a multiplex on uhf  channel 49 (8mhz) however within a few minutes they disappeared never to be seen again isn spite of much time and many alternative settings.

I have tried changing location, adding  channel 49 UHF manually which shows full signal strength and quality, but gives no digital programmes found.

I have had to revert to the 4 terrestial channels to get any tv operation at all.

I believe that my set has been crippled by LG. I am highly upset considering the cost of a uhd TV thats not capable of performing ito its original specification or  at its best.

Any advice on how to obtain a working system ( frimware has been updated ) or the legal route to go to resolve this issue would be welcome.

NB as a retired broadcast technologist i do have some knowledge of the industry so would welcome any technical perspectives if i have missed something

thanks Mikei

Thanks for response- at least somone read my post.

Channels are normal broadcast channels received on a normal Aerial. I all other respects tv is fine on iptv etc.

I have found out that my firmware version is not used anywhere else and is an upgrade on the uk and other PAL reception areas. All other firmware upgrades are documented on LG support site but not this one.

Thanks Again for interest.

Hi Zedric 

I have just picked up this post when browsing. I have similar gripes with LG. My story is a bit long for a non-typist but I do believe SA is being crippled by the built in Geolocation , Southern Africa.  Bought 49" TV on 27 Nov 19, got marvelous internet by inputting my VPN. After 17 days, settings gone and could not be put in again. LG  Cape Town changed the unit and the new one cannot input the settings either. Now I find out that I am blocked by Netflix AND Youtube from accessing certain videos that I can access on my PC using VPN. The internet is not "open".  

This also means if I go to UK, the TV will be useless as a smart TV. Back to using pay- for cable TV, like an old TV.  Very expensive upgrade for me now that I have to revert to using PC. 

BTW, I have automatic updates set on TV so they can manipulate the software as they please.

Glad to chat to a techie in the broadcast trade. I am not trained but can digest information well.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mike78j
      OK. I have a 2018 LG Smart TV model OLED65C8PUA.   The TV  'magically' recognizes and (badly) displays/ plays the 2gb of photos, videos and audio residing on my Western Digital 4TB My Passport  external hard drive I have. The problem is the TV is the ONLY device that WILL RECONIZE THE DRV! 8 diffirent computers running from Vista to Win 10 have given me 'DRV (x) is not accessable'. At one time the drv was password protected and it worked fine. The exact password was lost so I tried a number of variations and was able to finally unlock the drv and remove the password  using WD Utilities. It worked for a bit and I was able to copy out a few files using a Surface Pro/ Windows 10  but it stopped and now with that Surface Pro and the other windows machines  I get `D is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect'.  I even put it on a Samsung smart TV - none will read the drv, ONLY THE LG!  The LG also displays the DRV'S volume label and  content filenames as well. 
      I want to copy these files before the drive fails as the catch here is the LG seems to produce one or two "unrecognized files' every time I use it and some of these videos are one-of family heirlooms! I want to avoid another $300 data recovery bill if possible. And if the LG can read it one would think there is a way forward.
      Any suggestions will be most appreciated! 
    • By Mihai B.
      Hello,
      Is there any way of installing an usb gigabit network adapter on a webos smart TV?  The builtin wired adapter is only 100mbps (on a 2000$+ TV, shame  on you LG!!!)  while the wifi (N) is very poor, with the router at 1m from TV it only gets half the bandwidth of the wired network. Anyway the wired network  maxes out near 100mbps but I need more bandwidth as I have 4k video content with bitrates grater than 100mbps which I cannot stream without stuttering to TV through XPLAY/PLEX. 
      Kind regards,
    • By Khaled wally
      LG smart not working fine with shahid VIP although other devices at home like Samsung doing fine
      Original Content From: https://www.lgwebos.com/?forumId=34&do=add
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By ajmboy
      So LG has put webOS on TVs, projectors, and now cars with webos auto. Does anyone thing LG will ever produce a webos powered smartphone or tablet? I know samsung has tried with tizen and it was only with the palm pre 2 and touchpad from HP that we saw webos on these types of devices. Just curious on what everyone thingks. Here's what webos used to look like..

HP Touchpad

• By dngold77
      is there a webtv function or app that shows all of shows available on all the services I subscribe to.  Xfinity does with this it's cable service for example. If you click on "recently watched" it all show all the shows you've watched wether from live TV, on demand, or from apps such as Netflix, that you've logged into. , Apple TV does the same thing. As do third party providers such as realgood.  Anything similar of LG TV
    • By Pecacheu
      It is now 2020, and the WebOS browser in LG Smart TVs (which I believe is Chromium-based) is still massively out of date and doesn't work properly with a ton of websites!
      The main problem is actually very simple. The browser doesn't support EMCAScript 2015 or ES6.
      Basically, translated from nerd speak, it doesn't work properly with modern code using new features created since 2015, so any newer websites will break unless they've been written to be compatible with ancient browsers and OSes.
      This should not be the case on a TV made in the current year. It should be running an up-to-date web browser, if not for convenience, then for SECURITY reasons as well!
    • By Deepraj T
      I hope LG check this forum.
      Powerful Browser App like Google Chrome that is able to play videos of Amazon Prime, the default browser  is like Kids play, taking ages to load. Able to control streaming quality in apps like Prime Video, Hotstar, NetFlix, Sunnxt etc., i do not understand how hard for any developer to put this feature in app, I think  WebOS SDK expose this to developer to provide this feature. File Explorer that allow us to store data in TV Wifi file Transfer App like ShareIT(Android) More Apps(MX Player, Jio Tv, Jio Cinema, Airtel Xtreme,  VLC Player etc.....)... i feel the most apps available in the content store are crap and useless  Actually i did not do much research before purchasing UK6360PTE TV, I never expected this much difference from Android TV, i do not know how LG even thinking to compete with this WebOS , because people are getting intelligent and do research before purchase of a TV. they definitely find Android TVs more feature rich.