Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Chris Bard

Possible to enable geolocation in WebOS browser?

I have found a site called Locast that will stream live tv for some home markets in the US. It’s a free service but they do ask for donations. However, I am unable to get it to run on my LG tv’s browser. The site returns an error saying that I refused a request for geolocation. Due to licensing agreements, the site needs this enabled and running on the browser to validate viewers aren’t streaming into non-US markets. Is this possible or am I out of luck?

14 hours ago, Chris Bard said:

I have found a site called Locast that will stream live tv for some home markets in the US. It’s a free service but they do ask for donations. However, I am unable to get it to run on my LG tv’s browser. The site returns an error saying that I refused a request for geolocation. Due to licensing agreements, the site needs this enabled and running on the browser to validate viewers aren’t streaming into non-US markets. Is this possible or am I out of luck?

Hi Chris,

Geolocation is, from what I can find on the web, supported by webOS right back from the days of Hewlett Packard:

link hidden, please login to view

The problem is that sites now have to request your location by way of a pop up prompt, but this is something that the webOS browser does not currently support.

The above is a case in point, it works in Firefox, Opera etc as I can click on the pop up but not so on webOS.

However the test for geolocation at HTML5Test shows it as being 'broken' although this is for a 2016 model, but in comparison Samsung's Tizen browser from 2015 appears to work:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Hblone
      Hallo, I bought a 55un74006LB smart tv in Italy. It seems not to have usb recording capabilities, according to the information on the italian website, but the UK site declare it has. I think it's the same product with the same functions, so how can I turn the live tv and usb recording on? I think I found the options in the service menu but I cannot change the values. Any suggestion?
    • By MalcolmW
      I have recently purchased a LG 55NANO86 TV.  Great TV which I am still getting used to!  I have a question about compatibility of the LG built in web browser functionality with the iFollow football streaming service, used in the UK (and elsewhere).  This is a paid for service which allows streamling of live football games.  I have tried several times unsucessfully to use the built in LG browser on the TV to access and watch a game.  Whilst it successfully shows the iFollow website and allows purchase of the stream, unfortunately the link to the live stream which should pop up a window with the stream, fails to load properly and leaves either a blank screen or a screen with the stop icon displayed.  Does anyone know if this is a known incompatibility issue or am I doing something wrong?  I have used the same iFollow website to view historical match highlights and this works without problem.
      [Fortunately I can stream the iFollow stream to my iPad and then use an AV adaptor to mirror it to the TV so I can still get the match to the TV, but I would prefer to do his without the hassle of connecting the iPad.]
      Any suggestions/advice welcome.
      Malcolm
    • By Brennan Phoenix
      According to the developer site, the Web Engine powering the Apps and I assume the Web Browser on WebOS is built on version 53 of Chromium (for 2018-2019 models) or Chromium 68 (for 2020 models). Version 53 is from 2016, and 68 is from 2018. The current version is 85.
      The latest version of JavaScript used  by modern websites (ES7) is only supported in version 68 and above, and there has been some evidence that although WebOS is using version 53 of Chromium the browser is not fully compatible with the previous JavaScript version (ES6).
      The result is that by keeping the WebOS browsers locked in older Chromium bases users will find more websites become unusable on our Smart TVs as old sites are upgraded to new versions and new sites come out. This is not an issue for Android based Smart TVs where users can install current web browsers of their choice.
      LG is supposed to be a leader in technology- I have been incredibly pleased with my LG phones and other appliances but am extremely disappointed with the proprietary WebOS browser on LG Smart TVs. IN 2020 it is unacceptable thar such a fundamental function of a smart device (web browsing) is so out of date.
    • By arm
      Have LED 60" LG . Get message that browser is outdated. Do not know how to upgrade.
    • By Kuldeep Patel
      link hidden, please login to view Is not loading  in LG TV  WebOs browser can you please help in this?