Quantcast

Unable to control vizio S5430W soundbar

I have an lg 65sm9000 . It is attached to a S5430W Vizio soundbar via the optical cable. Although the sound bar operates with my TV, I'm unable to control it with the LG magic remote. I  cannot power it on or off and I .cannot control the volume with the magic remote. I have to use the vizio sound bar remote. Does anyone know a way to remedy this difficulty?

On 6/17/2019 at 1:07 PM, Leonard Harris said:

I have an lg 65sm9000 . It is attached to a S5430W Vizio soundbar via the optical cable. Although the sound bar operates with my TV, I'm unable to control it with the LG magic remote. I  cannot power it on or off and I .cannot control the volume with the magic remote. I have to use the vizio sound bar remote. Does anyone know a way to remedy this difficulty?

You need to remove the optical cable and connect an HDMI cable from the tv’s HDMI ( ARC) port to the soundbar’s ARC port.

After doing that turn on LG Simplink in the settings. Then you will be able to control the soundbar from the magic remote.

You can also add the device using device connector -> add device.

Simplink is basically HDMI CEC that allows control of connected HDMI devices.

Optical cable is just an audio output cable and cannot be used to control the other device.

Get a decent HDMI cable.

• Like 1

Karan, thank you for your response.

I tried your solution, but for some reason, it didn't work for me. I removed the optical cable and connected the HDMI cable to the TV's HDMI (ARC) port and the soundbar's ARC port. Also,

via the SOUND settings menu, I set the Sound Out to HDMI (ARC). According to the settings display, this also automatically turned on the LG Simpliink. Unfortunately, something is amiss because I could get no sound from the sound bar.The volume buttons on the magic remote now controlled the  the soundbar volume indicator (which was not the case before the connection change), but no sound was produced.

Any further suggestions?

3 hours ago, Leonard Harris said:

Karan, thank you for your response.

I tried your solution, but for some reason, it didn't work for me. I removed the optical cable and connected the HDMI cable to the TV's HDMI (ARC) port and the soundbar's ARC port. Also,

via the SOUND settings menu, I set the Sound Out to HDMI (ARC). According to the settings display, this also automatically turned on the LG Simpliink. Unfortunately, something is amiss because I could get no sound from the sound bar.The volume buttons on the magic remote now controlled the  the soundbar volume indicator (which was not the case before the connection change), but no sound was produced.

Any further suggestions?

Probably your sound output is not set right. Go to settings and change audio output to auto. It might be set to PCM or something else.

if still doesn’t work after changing to auto, restart the tv and soundbar fro mains.

still not, then press the “AD” button on the magic remote while HDMI 2/3 whichever is ARC is selected as source. You’ll get a menu with power button. Click that and the soundbar will power off. Then after 2 mins do the same to power on again.

These should work definitely.