Quantcast

KODI

Carlos Garcia

Please add KODI media center to LG WebOS.

The media player app included in webOS is very laim. Very week.

I would like to have KODI wich is one of the best apps for playing media. It allows librarys, movie infos, etc.

It would be great to have KODI included in webOS. I don't think it would very hard since KODI is already available for Linux and Android. So...

• Like 5

On 12/26/2018 at 4:38 PM, Carlos Garcia said:

Please add KODI media center to LG WebOS.

The media player app included in webOS is very laim. Very week.

I would like to have KODI wich is one of the best apps for playing media. It allows librarys, movie infos, etc. 

It would be great to have KODI included in webOS. I don't think it would very hard since KODI is already available for Linux and Android. So...

I use it as well (on other platforms). KODI has  another useful feature -  it allows playing media from network devices (Windows share, Samba).

Hi,

As with all other OS platforms it is usually the onus of the programme producer (in this case KODI) to produce an app for webOS.  It seems that the team behind KODI do not have any plans to accommodate those people that want to use their product on the webOS platform:

link hidden, please login to view

So folks if you want KODI you are voicing your wants on the wrong forum.

• 2 months later...

George, 

We can take the easy way out like you and see if there are any KODI app developers working with LG... OR... we can put the pressure on LG to work to get a working KODI (and HBO GO) app up and running, as so many of the LG customers are insisting.  LG is sitting back hoping app developers are coming to them with solutions, instead of working to get WebOS developers onboard to get ahead of the curve and keep its customers from moving to Samsung, etc.   This is so reminiscent of the HP WebOS tablet fiasco, where HP did not partner with enough WebOS developers to allow this platform to be a success.  It seems, based on your comments alone, that the attitude has remained the same.

17 hours ago, szn2tc said:

George, 

We can take the easy way out like you and see if there are any KODI app developers working with LG... OR... we can put the pressure on LG to work to get a working KODI (and HBO GO) app up and running, as so many of the LG customers are insisting.  LG is sitting back hoping app developers are coming to them with solutions, instead of working to get WebOS developers onboard to get ahead of the curve and keep its customers from moving to Samsung, etc.   This is so reminiscent of the HP WebOS tablet fiasco, where HP did not partner with enough WebOS developers to allow this platform to be a success.  It seems, based on your comments alone, that the attitude has remained the same.

While I do agree with some of your points (especially the entire HP fiasco) it is unlikely that LG are going to pursue KODI to produce an app for webOS.  The market share of those users wanting KODI is going to be minute and there is little to no reason to think LG would recoup any investment they made in to an app.  If KODI are not going to produce a Samsung Tizen app with their much larger market share of TV sales than LG, then I cannot see it happening for us.  KODI end users could also go to the official suggestions page at LG (listed elsewhere on the forum) and ask LG to pursue the matter, as well as voicing your requests on the official KODI forum, if of course you have not already done so.

LG probably may not be pursing partnerships strongly enough but, there is no real way of knowing unless someone at the company actually chimes in and lets us know.  It is possible that developers do not want to spend the time and money producing apps for a platform that compared to others has a limited market share.  At the end of the day webOS is meant to be relatively easy to program for being based around HTML5 & JavaScript.   

I am not sure what you meant about HBO GO, there is an app after all, it is that it is bad in some way?

• 4 months later...