Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Michal Římal

How to seek (rewind) video file via DLNA?

Question

I am running LG 32LJ610V (webos 3.5)  in combination with WD Mybook World Edition (white ring).
The default media server installed on WD Mybook is TwonkyMedia 5.1.9 but it does not support seeking in video files.
Any suggestions which media server to use? When I am playing the same video file from PC Windows 10 via file sharing it works fine.

What type of mass storage device are you using and which is working fine? (connected to home network)

Thank you

6 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Michal Římal said:

I am running LG 32LJ610V (webos 3.5)  in combination with WD Mybook World Edition (white ring).
The default media server installed on WD Mybook is TwonkyMedia 5.1.9 but it does not support seeking in video files.
Any suggestions which media server to use? When I am playing the same video file from PC Windows 10 via file sharing it works fine.

What type of mass storage device are you using and which is working fine? (connected to home network)

Thank you

Plex is a popular media server, your WD can be made to run it but it is not ideal as it cannot transcode (going by various forum posts).  If you are able to change your hardware then there are many NAS units that can run Plex, or you could be re-purposed a desktop to be your Plex server.  It depends on your IT skills as to whether you go for an out of the box solution or brew your own.  My Plex server is Dell server with an Intel Xeon E3-1225 CPU, 4GB RAM, a 240GB SDD for the OS and a pair of 4TB WD Red drives with RAID in a ZFS configuration.

I would also like to know.

This guy is able to seek through videos over DLNA without transcoding it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKVcQ0QLb8A

I am also able to rewind out-of-the-box using the magic remote. I have a NAS from QNAP (TS-251). It works with regular DLNA and also Twonky (have not tried Plex yet).

21 hours ago, lgwebosi said:

I am also able to rewind out-of-the-box using the magic remote. I have a NAS from QNAP (TS-251). It works with regular DLNA and also Twonky (have not tried Plex yet).

Is there transcoding involved with this method or is the video stream left untouched?