Quantcast

LG Releases Open-Sourced Version of webOS

link hidden, please login to view

SEOUL, Mar. 19, 2018 — As part of a broader effort to make webOS even more accessible to today’s consumers and industries, LG Electronics (LG) entered into a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with a federal government body to more actively advance its philosophy of open platform, open partnership and open connectivity.

The National IT Industry Promotion Agency (NIPA) is the governmental body within South Korea’s Ministry of Science and ICT (Information and Communication Technology) responsible for developing the country’s IT sector. LG will solicit webOS business proposals from hundreds of start-ups recommended by NIPA and shortlist the most viable ones to provide logistical and technical support with commercialization as the ultimate goal. With LG’s backing, startups will take part in international events such as Open Source Summit and OSCON to share their ideas and initiatives with other industry influencers.

Toward its goal of expanding the webOS global footprint, LG developed an open source version of its platform, webOS Open Source Edition, now available to the public at . Developers can download the source code free as well as taking advantage of related tools, guides and forums on the site to become more familiar with webOS and its inherent benefits as a smart devices platform. And because webOS is a Linux-kernel-based multitasking OS with support for HTML5 and CSS3, webOS will be quite familiar to even new developers.

“When LG adopted webOS for our popular smart TV lineup in 2013, it did so with the knowledge that webOS had tremendous potential,” said Dr. I.P. Park, Chief Technology Officer at LG Electronics. “webOS has come a long way since then and is now a mature and stable platform ready to move beyond TVs to join the very exclusive group of operating systems that have been successfully commercialization at such a mass level. As we move from an app-based environment to a web-based one, we believe the true potential of webOS has yet to be seen.”

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

SEOUL, Mar. 19, 2018 — As part of a broader effort to make webOS even more accessible to today’s consumers and industries, LG Electronics (LG) entered into a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with a federal government body to more actively advance its philosophy of open platform, open partnership and open connectivity.

The National IT Industry Promotion Agency (NIPA) is the governmental body within South Korea’s Ministry of Science and ICT (Information and Communication Technology) responsible for developing the country’s IT sector. LG will solicit webOS business proposals from hundreds of start-ups recommended by NIPA and shortlist the most viable ones to provide logistical and technical support with commercialization as the ultimate goal. With LG’s backing, startups will take part in international events such as Open Source Summit and OSCON to share their ideas and initiatives with other industry influencers.

Toward its goal of expanding the webOS global footprint, LG developed an open source version of its platform, webOS Open Source Edition, now available to the public at . Developers can download the source code free as well as taking advantage of related tools, guides and forums on the site to become more familiar with webOS and its inherent benefits as a smart devices platform. And because webOS is a Linux-kernel-based multitasking OS with support for HTML5 and CSS3, webOS will be quite familiar to even new developers.

“When LG adopted webOS for our popular smart TV lineup in 2013, it did so with the knowledge that webOS had tremendous potential,” said Dr. I.P. Park, Chief Technology Officer at LG Electronics. “webOS has come a long way since then and is now a mature and stable platform ready to move beyond TVs to join the very exclusive group of operating systems that have been successfully commercialization at such a mass level. As we move from an app-based environment to a web-based one, we believe the true potential of webOS has yet to be seen.”

"As we move from an app-based environment to a web-based one, we believe the true potential of webOS has yet to be seen" This is true. I have not seen any potential true or untrue from the terrible apps that LG force on us. As for web-based..... Seriously don't make me laugh. When I read this, I honestly thought this was a joke. 

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By qUArtEx
      Hi to all! 
      I'm really new into this and have a problem. My 2018 LG 55UJ635V-ZF has only webOS 3 (latest; ethernet-automatic download) an i can't use airplay or miracast. The apps i found in the store for mirroring are only pay2use to use this needed feature for me.
      On the LG Homepage i can't find an upgrade for my TV an maybe is my tv really to old for upgrades or am i wrong?
      Maybe someone can help me out or bring some light for me in this.
      I also found the suggestions on this site for the firmware 4.70.70 (for the UJ's), but i can't download....error.
      sorry for my bad english 🙂
      thx for your help, quartex.
    • By manbboy
      Good evening all,
      Via WebOS, i have tried to download an .avi file but i got a message similar to "Downloading file is not supported" from the browser.
      I would like to find a way (via another app, via an external device or whatever) to download a media file into my TV or USB drive plugged-in. Then, I would like the TV to play that downloaded file.
      Any idea how to do this ?

In other words, today, what I do:
      - download a media file from the web with my computer (700mo)
      - copy the media into an USB drive
      - unplug the usb drive from my computer
      - plug the usb drive into my TV
      - play the media to watch it with my TV

I would like to avoid using my computer to watch my downloaded media on my TV.

Thanks,
      Manbboy
      My TV : OLED65C2

• By codepoet
      Greetings Touchpad users! The webOS Nation Forums went down this month -- unceremoniously redirected to some crappy review site, despite the community's pleas to let us save or preserve it in some fashion. As a result, we're looking here (and other places) for some kind of community forum!
      For those who visit here, I wanted to let you know that despite all recent set-backs, the legacy webOS community is alive and well, still using our Touchpads, Pres, Pixis and Veers in 2023!
      Resources to get online, apps to try out, and lots of other things to do can be found at webosarchive.org
      We've also got a Discord server going -- it even connects to webOS Devices, through a modern app called SimpleChat. Come join us at docs.webosarchive.org/community
    • By Brian Gregory
      CBS Catchup, Discovery+, POP player, and UKTV Play always need updating. Even seconds after you just updated them. It started doing this a few days ago.
      Who can I contact to get this fixed?
      Since the "apps need updating" notification now always appears when I switch the TV on, I now have no way of telling if anything really does need updating other than going into the LG content store, clicking Apps, clicking My Apps, and visually checking.
      ☹️
    • By News Reporter
      Implementing HCA 1.0 Guidelines, Company’s Smart Lifestyle Solutions Deliver
      More Convenience and a Better Life at Home

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 5, 2023 — LG Electronics (LG), a board member of the Home Connectivity Alliance (HCA), will showcase a seamless smart home experience at CES 2023. Along with other HCA member companies, LG will demonstrate the interoperability enabled under the new HCA Specification 1.0, whereby smart home solutions from different brands work together seamlessly to deliver true connected convenience in the home.
      Inside HCA’s booth at CES, LG will be exhibiting its latest smart home appliances – including the refrigerator with MoodUP, WashTower laundry solution, ARTCOOL Gallery air conditioner and PuriCare AeroTower – together with those from other alliance members. Visitors will be able to see the realization of HCA’s “Any app to any device” vision, which presents users with the ability to manage each brand’s products via each brand’s smart control app, such as LG’s intuitive ThinQ app. This new level of interoperability is currently supported by HCA member companies including LG.
      Utilizing existing industry standards to define Cloud-to-Cloud (C2C) interoperability guidelines, the new HCA Specification 1.0 has been established to ensure that home appliances, TVs and HVAC systems can interoperate seamlessly with one another, irrespective of brand. In addition to newly-launched models, consumers can continue using the smart home appliances and HVAC solutions that they already own and are covered by HCA Specification 1.0, without having to install any major firmware updates.
      Furthermore, HCA Specification 1.0 will help member companies to make the smart home more sustainable in the future, leveraging data collected from across alliance members’ appliances to gain usage insight and improve energy management.
      “As a member of HCA, LG is contributing to the realization of a safe, secure and interoperable connected home ecosystem,” said Lyu Jae-cheol, president of LG Electronics Home Appliance & Air Solution Company. “Through collaboration and open innovation, we will continue to provide consumers with solutions for a smarter, more convenient way of living.”
      Visitors to HCA’s booth (#52739, Smart Home Hall, The Venetian Expo) at CES 2023 from January 5-8 in Las Vegas can experience the interoperability of HCA member companies’ latest smart home solutions.
      # # #