Quantcast

LG's 2018 TVs will have Google Assistant built in

Alex

From the Verge: 

LG ThinQ AI

LG is getting ready to announce its lineup of new OLED TVs at CES this year (), and as a tide-me-over, the company has announced that its new TVs this year are getting Google Assistant.

In the past, LG has shipped its TVs with a webOS-based operating system that included the company’s own voice assistant, but the company is taking things a step further by including Google Assistant on its OLED and “Super UHD” LCD displays under its “ThinQ” artificial intelligence branding (

link hidden, please login to view
).

LG’s integrated assistant strategy seems to be two-fold. You’ll be able to use the ThinQ AI for more contextual, TV-specific tasks, like asking to “search for the soundtrack of this movie” or “turn off the TV when this program is over.” But users in some countries (LG hasn’t yet specified which ones) will also have access to Google Assistant on top of that for controlling smart home devices or accessing anything else Google Assistant can do. LG also says that its ThinQ AI TVs will be able to serve as a central smart home hub, too. The TVs will likely still run webOS underneath these new ThinQ features.

Alongside its updated ThinQ AI initiatives, LG is also introducing a new image processor on its upcoming TVs, the Alpha 9, which the company claims will allow for improved noise reduction and better color performance, and offer support for 120 fps high frame rate (HFR) content.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From Digital Trends: 

With its monstrous  still sweeping headlines, LG has formally announced its full TV line for the new year, just a few days ahead of CES 2018. The lineup will see the return of the  which garnered significant attention and critical acclaim last year, along with three other OLED models and a full suite of LG Super UHD LED televisions. The common thread throughout most of LG’s 2018 TV line are significantly faster processors for better picture quality and overall performance and the addition of Google Assistant to the company’s smart TV platform, webOS.

Though processing may not be the most exciting discussion point for new TVs, it’s certainly one of the most important aspects pertaining to picture quality. Picture processing is what separates the good from the great and, sometimes, the decent from the deplorable. LG’s new a9 intelligent processor will mean better color rendering and super fast smart TV operation for LG W8, E8, and C8 OLED TV owners, and a slightly scaled-down version will run the B8 OLED and  line.

Also along the smart TV vein is the addition of Google Assistant, which will take over for any voice inquiries that webOS can’t handle. In 2018 you will be able to use normal language to tell your TV to turn itself off when the show you are watching is over, or change the channel to a specific network, but with the addition of Google Assistant, you could also order a pizza, call an Uber, view Google Photos, and check traffic through Google maps. The new TVs will also be addressable through other Google Assistant products like the  and  speakers. LG says that its TVs will also be compatible with .

While LG’s 4K OLED lineup will look similar to last year’s models, the company’s Super UHD LED TV line is seeing some improvements which should have significant positive impact on picture quality. Most notably, LG is moving to use full-array local dimming backlights in the top two series and is touting an improved “nano cell” IPS display technology which not only reduces glare and reflections, but considerably improves off-angle color performance.

As for HDR, LG will continue its pledge to support most (but not all) , with Dolby Vision, HDR10, , and  all available in OLED and Super UHD TVs.  is not supported this year and it isn’t clear if LG ever will support it.

Finally, 2018 sees the addition of high frame rate (HFR) enabling native playback of content at 120 frames per second (fps). Currently, there’s not much in the way of 120 fps 4K video, but some Hollywood types see it as a natural progression away from the 24 fps we’re used to seeing in film, and LG appears to be getting on board with the idea early. It’s important to note, however, that none of LG’s 2018 TVs support , so 120 fps for game consoles won’t be possible with any of these models — 120 fps content will only be 

Here’s how LG’s OLED TV line looks broken down by series, features, and screen sizes:

Series/Model number W8 “Wallpaper” E8 C8 B8
Panel OLED OLED OLED OLED
HDR/HFR 4K Cinema HDR + 4K HFR 4K Cinema HDR + 4K HFR 4K Cinema HDR + 4K HFR 4K Cinema HDR or 4K HFR
Sound Dolby Atmos 60-watt 4.2 channel Dolby Atmos 60-watt 4.2 channel Dolby Atmos 40-watt 2.2 channel Dolby Atmos 40-watt 2.2 channel
Design Picture-on-Wall Picture-on-Glass Blade Slim Blade Slim
Smart webOS with Google Assistant webOS with Google Assistant webOS with Google Assistant webOS with Google Assistant
Sizes 65- and 77-inch 55- and 65-inch 55-, 65-, and 77-inch 55- and 65-inch

Along the same lines, here’s what LG’s premium Super UHD LED TV line will look like in 2018:

Series/Model number SK9500 SK8500 SK8000
Panel Nano Cell Display Nano Cell Display Nano Cell Display
Dimming Full Array Dimming Pro Full Array Dimming Local Dimming
HDR/HFR 4K Cinema HDR or 4K HFR 4K Cinema HDR or 4K HFR 4K Cinema HDR or 4K HFR
Sound Dolby Atmos processing Dolby Atmos processing Dolby Atmos processing
Smart webOS with Google Assistant webOS with Google Assistant webOS with Google Assistant
Sizes 55- and 65-inch 55- and 65-inch 55-, 65-, and 75-inch

Finally, here’s the balance of LG 4K TV offerings:

Series/Model Number UK7700 UK6500/70 UK6300
Panel 4K IPS with Nano Cell 4K IPS 4K IPS
Dimming Local dimming Local Dimming on 55-,65-,70-inch Local dimming on 55- and 65-inch
HDR 4K Active HDR 4K Active HDR 4K Active HDR
Sound Ultra Surround Ultra Surround Ultra Surround
Smart webOS with Google Assistant webOS with Google Assistan webOS with Google Assistan
Big Screen Sizes  N/A 70-,75-,and 86-inch N/A
Sizes 49-,55-, and 65-inch 43-,50-,55-, and 65-inch 43-,49-,50-,55-, 65-inch

That’s it for our LG 2018 TV overview. Be sure to bookmark this article and check back next week when we’ll be updating this post with live, hands-on video of all the new models, including that 88-inch 8K OLED TV.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Christian Caporrimo
      Any reason I can't find HBO Max on my LG OLED C6? WebOS is fully updated. I was told it was available on WebOS now but it's nowhere. If it's bc my TV has an old WebOS I'd like to know if I can install a newer one or of the hardware simply isn't compatible and I need to buy something like Fire stick just so I can have HBO Max (f'in absurd if that's the case)
    • By Rob007
      LGTV had a new Sling TV app update which left me with no Channels option in Sling. I only have the Guide and Search Options. How can I get the Channels selection back?
    • By News Reporter
      LG Smart TVs to Offer Amazing Stadia Gaming Experience Complete with Immersive
      5.1 Surround Sound for Stadia Pro Gamers in the Second Half of the Year

SEOUL, Jan. 11, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) announces a planned partnership with Google to bring Stadia to its latest webOS smart TVs in the second half of this year. After Stadia comes to Google TV, LG will be the first TV manufacturer to natively support Stadia gameplay via webOS.
      LG is demonstrating its commitment to supporting premium gaming on its state-of-the-art displays, made even more compelling with support for 4k and 5.1 surround sound for Stadia Pro users. Stadia on LG TVs will allow customers to instantly play hit Stadia games such as Cyberpunk 2077, NBA 2K21, Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla and Watch Dogs: Legion with just a Stadia controller and no additional hardware or game downloads required.
      LG plans to have the new service launched within the second half of 2021 on LG Smart TVs as a downloadable app from the LG Content Store in countries where Stadia is available. Stadia already offers more than 130 games with more being added regularly. Games can be purchased individually or gamers can claim a regular cadence of games to be played for free with a subscription to Stadia Pro, which includes exclusive discounts and up to 4K resolution. Exhilarating gaming with immersive 5.1 channel surround sound and support for up to 4K HDR and 60 FPS makes the Stadia platform a compelling choice for anyone looking for a great gaming experience without the need for an expensive, dedicated gaming console.
      And when it comes to gaming, it’s hard to beat the advanced combination of Stadia and  LG OLED TVs. LG OLED’s self-lighting pixels ensure best-in-class HDR picture quality with deep blacks and extremely accurate colors. LG became the first company to launch HDR-capable 4K OLED TVs in 2015 and content on LG OLED TVs – both streaming and externally stored – benefit from the display’s fast 1ms response time, outstandingly low input lag without experiencing any loss in picture quality.
      “Supporting Stadia on LG TVs is our commitment to customers that gaming is an increasingly important feature expected by LG TV owners,” said Lee Sang-woo, senior vice president of corporate business strategy at LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. “Stadia is changing how people access their favorite games and by providing webOS compatibility, we’re making an early commitment to the platform.”
      LG’s perfect-for-gaming LG OLED TVs, new LG QNED Mini LED TVs (with the company’s propriety Quantum Dot NanoCell Technology and mini LED backlighting) and upgraded LG NanoCell TVs will be on display in during CES 2021 starting January 11.
      # # #
      * At time of launch, Stadia available only on LG smart TVs running webOS 6.0. LG webOS 5.0 TVs will receive the service later this year.

• By News Reporter
      Designed for All Types of Business Usage Scenarios,
      Unique Display Solution Redefines Work in the New Era

SEOUL, Oct. 19, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) announces the launch of LG One:Quick, a display solution so revolutionary that its arrival brings with it a whole new category. Developed in response to the new ways people work, LG One: Quick has the potential to change and expand how individuals, coworkers and teams communicate in the new reality of remote working. LG One:Quick consists of One:Quick Works (model 55CT5WJ), One:Quick Flex (model 43HT3WJ) and One:Quick Share (model SC-00DA), a dedicated wireless screen sharing solution.*
      One:Quick Works is an advanced 55-inch 4K UHD video conferencing display and all-around productivity tool suitable for a variety of workplace environments such as a conference room. One:Quick Flex with its 43-inch 4K UHD touchscreen is designed with a movable stand to accommodate diverse usage scenarios across all types of businesses settings. Both models are based on the Windows platform and are compatible with a huge library of video conferencing applications and collaboration tools. Once paired with One:Quick Share, users can easily and quickly connect their laptops wirelessly to compatible LG digital signage products.
      One:Quick Works For Maximum Productivity
      A welcome addition to any conference space, LG One:Quick Works delivers seamless interactive communication for smooth, productive office meetings. A winner of Red Dot Award 2021 and iF Design Award 2021, this all-in-one solution features a built-in Windows PC, crisp 4K UHD camera, microphone, speaker and digital whiteboard. In addition to LG’s built-in video conferencing solution, One:Quick Remote Meeting, users can use shortcuts to effortlessly install popular video conferencing and collaboration apps such as Teams, Webex and Zoom to instantly enhance productivity. The high-gain microphone is effective in clearly capturing voices up to six meters away with minimal background noise while the 3,840 x 2,160 resolution camera automatically tracks and focuses on the individual speaking. Both the camera and microphone can be easily disabled for maximum privacy and peace of mind.
      One:Quick Works also offers easy-to-use management and control features. Ready out-of-the-box and free for the first six months, LG’s One:Quick Remote Meeting video conferencing application works seamlessly with One:Quick Works to share documents in various formats, perform real-time interactive drawings and automatically detect who’s speaking on the other end.
      One:Quick Flex For Ultimate Versatility
      LG One:Quick Flex is designed for a wide variety of business use scenarios such as small group meetings, one-on-one discussions and group presentations but is also an excellent option for hospitals, schools and homes where people may be working, learning or talking to other parties remotely. With a video camera that captures a wide 88-degree field of view, the display rotates to work in both landscape and portrait modes and features a split-view mode for easier multitasking. A microphone and camera, intuitive interface, full touch pen support and whiteboard functionality complete the package. One:Quick Flex can be mounted to a movable stand for easy transport between the shared meeting space to the CEO’s corner office for an important video conference.
      One:Quick Share For Wireless Screen Sharing  
      LG One:Quick Share allows users to effortlessly share their laptop screens with compatible LG digital signage models. After the simple connection process, users can share their PC screen by simply pressing the button on the One:Quick Share USB dongle. Switching the source device is just as easy, with up to four sources able to connect to LG digital signage products simultaneously. And with One:Quick Share, setting adjustments of connected LG signage products such as volume, picture mode and screen brightness can be performed without a remote control.
      “As a market leader in developing solutions for businesses, LG always strives to deliver thoughtfully-designed, technologically-advanced products that make work more productive and convenient,” said Paik Ki-mun, senior vice president and head of the Information Display business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. “Our new One:Quick series is a solution borne out of necessity by a new environment that forced us to think outside the box. By providing our customers with new ways to interact and get things done, we hope they will be able to better balance and enjoy work and life.”
      LG’s latest collection of advanced display solution products is designed to deliver an intuitive experience that enhances productivity and collaboration to take office communications to a whole new level of ease and convenience. LG’s One:Quick series will be available starting this month in Korea with key markets in North America, Europe and Asia to follow.
      # # #
      * Compatible with select LG digital signage products.

• By SS1003602
      I have recently shifted from UAE to India. I have 55" LG 3D smart TV model no. 55UB8301. My problem is 1. I can not change country from UAE to India in settings -Country option because India is not available in the list.
      2. I can not download any app which are normally available in Indian smart TVs like Hotstar/Sonyliv/Amazon prime etc.
      3. In screen mirroring option using my Android phone, I can play any video stream from mobile to smart TV BUT only Amazon prime videos are not played. 
      Can anyone help me for above issues...?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Robin S
      Is there a special trick to login to a Google account with webos? I got an LG CX but I'm not able to login. After I insert my credentials I see a terms of service screen with a disabled "agree" button. When I click on "later" the only other option I'm redirected to the login screen. 
      What can I do? 
    • By Khamikaze
      Hi Everyone,

OK, so what does it take to have full Chromecast support in LG TVs (webOS)?
      a. Either builtin support.
      b. Via webOS app.

The goal / use is simple as any other Chromecast device / TV: be able to say to "hey Google, play this video/music from service-X to LG-TV".

Looking forward to good news and your thoughts.

Thanks,
    • By Peter Parkinson.
      Trying to enable cookies in Google.
      There are no dot's in the corner.
      Enabled cookies in other devices, but no help.
    • By FG_Rick
      Just bought the LG 55UM7300 yesterday. Opened the web browser today for the first time, and wanted to sign in to my Google account. I got this message:
      "Couldn't sign you in. This browser or app may not be secure. Try using a different browser. If you're already using a supported browser, you can refresh your screen and try again to sign in."
      I tried doing it again using
      link hidden, please login to view but got the same message. Since we don't have options for using other browsers, there may not be a way around this, but I thought I would check anyway. I'm using my secure home wi-fi network. Has anyone else experienced this?