Quantcast

Just bought an LG 55UB9500, highly disappointed

jonjonbear

Question

Hello all,

Longtime Samsung user here.  Got a really good deal on the 55UB9500 so decided to give it a try.  First, beautiful set, great picture but OS SUCKS!  Either I am doing something wrong, or LG got it wrong. I have the set directly connected via ethernet. VERY fast internet (300 plus GB/S) I have constant issues with Pandora and Netflix.  First it was pandora, it would start and play, then I would get some sort of error.  Then it would play, and have these huge delays between songs.  Very disappointing.  Then Netflix. At first it seemed to work okay. I thought it took a LONG time for it to load a movie. It would hurry up to the 25% mark and then sit there for about a minute.  Now, half the time I get errors that they cannot play this selection at this time. Then I get the movie to play and it will play for about five minutes and do the same thing.

I went to the web and searched and found that people have deleted Netflix and started over. I can't even get that to work. When I follow the directions, going to settings/Network/Web OS apps (or what ever it's called) I get a screen about unlinking my devices or something like that and cannot get to the actual apps.  I then did the up up up left right left thing to get to the log off menu and did that. logged back in but same thing.. I tried last night for over half an hour to get Netflix to work until I finally ran out of patience.  I never had issues like this with any of my Samsung Tv's and not beginning to think I made a mistake but hope not. I love the TV otherwise.  I am hoping that perhaps the OS 2.0 might fix it?  That is of course if that ever happens. 

If anyone else has had issues like this and has figured out a way to fix it, please share that with me.  I keep going over to Amazon.com, and looking at the Roku 4 but I really don't want to have to buy that, after just buying this new TV that's supposed to do all this for me. Plus I have read that people are having trouble with the Roku 4 and some LG tv's...Sigh..

Thanks, and sorry for the rant. 

Cheers,

John

4 answers to this question

Well I can tell you that after some time you will give up on using WebOS, the OS is very unstable and useless! I have bought cheep laptop and connect to my TV so I can have "smart" TV. Since the day I have purchased the TV until now the TV have received two updates but again I can say this is the most useless device I have evet purchased in my life. To be clear I don't talk here about using the TV as a TV the picture quality, 3D, magic remote and all other TV futures are totally OK.

• Like 1

I have the same set but haven't had any problems with netflix, youtube, or 3dnow.  Those are really the only apps I use though.  The interface is definitely a little hitchy at times though.  Like you said, I hope the WebOS 2.0 upgrade will fix that if it ever comes.  3DNow will only stream 5.1 surround in WebOS 2.0 for some reason.  Netflix does 5.1 fine.

On a side note have you use the 3D much?  I've noticed that I really have to be seated at the vertical sweet spot to limit the 3D 'ghosting'.  Sitting up or leaning down affects the convergence greatly.  I have another passive set, a Panasonic 1080p, that I've always been impressed with regarding the ghosting.  One of the big reasons I got this 4k set was to have passive 3D in full 1080 (since passive will half the resolution of the tv in 3D) but the ghosting is disappointing.

I have the same set but haven't had any problems with netflix, youtube, or 3dnow.  Those are really the only apps I use though.  The interface is definitely a little hitchy at times though.  Like you said, I hope the WebOS 2.0 upgrade will fix that if it ever comes.  3DNow will only stream 5.1 surround in WebOS 2.0 for some reason.  Netflix does 5.1 fine.

On a side note have you use the 3D much?  I've noticed that I really have to be seated at the vertical sweet spot to limit the 3D 'ghosting'.  Sitting up or leaning down affects the convergence greatly.  I have another passive set, a Panasonic 1080p, that I've always been impressed with regarding the ghosting.  One of the big reasons I got this 4k set was to have passive 3D in full 1080 (since passive will half the resolution of the tv in 3D) but the ghosting is disappointing.

Well I fixed it. Reset the damn thing to factory defaults and that seems to have cleared up the issue.  Everything works great now (except now I have to redo my calibration).  As for the 3D, We've only played with it a bit but it works really well. Of course our two chairs sit pretty much right in front of it.  I didn't notice any ghosting.  We never even opened the glasses that came with it. We used some we had from our last go to the theatre movie.

Cheers!

John

I have also noticed that the 3D "sweet spot" it fairly small, but still large enough not to be an issue. If I stand up then the 3D picture gets bad ghosting, but as long as I'm sitting down it looks great. It definitely helps to have a TV mount for the wall that tilts so you can angle it just right.

As for the OS I haven't had any issues. We use Netflix and 3DGO almost exclusively and they both work quickly and the picture quality on both is great.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Luka Pantsulaia
      I bought LG smart tv. for some reason region selected was Africa and could only choose from african countries and had very little available apps in content store. I live in Georgia, so figured that  changing region to EU would help so changed it to 3122 and selected service country UK because Georgia was not in the list. after that every app says that it is not available in current country. I have  default region code saved so I guess could go back but wondering if any one can help me to get it working in EU. or if anyone have region code in which Georgia is available it will be helpful as well. 
    • By GiotisCy
      Hello, 
      I have recently purchased an LG C2 Oled TV which I connected with my Samsung HW-Q800B 5.1 soundbar via eArc HDMI. When I select "Passthrough" as a Digital Sound Output on LG TV sound advanced settings, there is an obvious sound response delay around 3 seconds when I pause and unpause the movie on Netflix or Prime video streaming apps on LG TV. For example, when I start the movie, the video starts and sound starts 2-3 secs later. When I pause the movie, the sound continues for 2-3 secs after the video has been stopped. There is no any lip sync issue, just this response delay of the sound from the soundbar. This happens only on LG TV Apps. If I connect to an external HDMI device such as AMAZON Fire Stick 4K, there is no such sound delay issue neither on Netflix neither on Prime Video. 
      Thus, the problem seems to be on LG TV apps.
      If I change the Digital Sound Output to "Auto" instead of "Passthrough" the issue is gone but sound quality is not as good as with Passthrough selected. So I do not want this to be my option.
      I would appreciate if someone could come with a solution on this. 

• By News Reporter
      Award’s Final Four Teams Joined by Renowned ESG Scholars and Company’s
      Executives at LIFE’S GOOD AWARD Conference in South Korea

SEOUL, Jan. 17, 2023 — LG Electronics (LG) has announced the final winner of its LIFE’S GOOD AWARD, supporting global innovators taking on challenges to help create a Better Life for All. The Grand Prix was awarded to Dot Inc. from South Korea.
      The jury ranked the final four teams after each of the teams pitched their innovative solutions in the award’s final round, held during the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD Conference at LG Sciencepark in Seoul, Korea, on January 16. LG’s own executives leading the company’s ESG management, CSO Lee Sam-soo and CTO Dr. Kim Byoung-hoon, were present as well.
      The award embodies LG’s ESG vision of a Better Life for All, aiming to foster a brighter future for the planet and people. The company aimed to solicit ideas for environmental sustainability and accessibility, two key focuses of its long-term ESG initiative, the Better Life Plan 2030. The ingenious solutions presented by the four winners illustrate the power and potential of tech-for-good to spread positive impact on the world.
      The winning teams are: Dot Inc. of South Korea (Grand Prix/USD 700,000 in prize money); SOLUTUM of Israel (Gold/USD 200,000); Day1Lab of South Korea (Silver/USD 100,000); and NONA Technologies of the United States (Bronze/USD 50,000).
      LIFE’S GOOD AWARD Winning Solutions
      Dot Inc.: developed an assistive information display device for the visually impaired composed of 2,400 braille pins – or ‘dots’ – which move up and down. ­­The novel device converts images, maps and other diverse digital information from connected devices such as computers and mobile phones into a display for visually impaired users to comprehend. SOLUTUM: developed a novel plastic material that dissolves in water at ambient temperature and then biodegrades leaving no microplastic or toxin residue. Day1Lab: created an organic polymer plastic which completely biodegrades in freshwater after about two weeks, and in the earth after about two months. NONA Technologies: developed a desalination solution leveraging Ion Concentration Polarization (ICP) to remove viruses, bacteria, salt and debris from water. Along with the final four teams, the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD Conference was graced by the esteemed members of the award’s jury, the LG’s Life’s Good Committee, consisting of the company’s executives and respected scholars in the area of responsible business management; Alex Edmans, a professor at London Business School, Christopher Marquis, a professor at Cambridge Judge Business School and Hyun S. Shin, a professor at Hanyang Business School and a director of the Collective Impact Center at Hanyang University.
      The conference saw various attendees – including members of the public and local university students as well as LG employees and partners – and was livestreamed so that audiences from all around the globe could tune into the proceedings. During the morning, all four teams gave a final presentation and participated in a Q&A session, while the jury provided feedback based on the impact, innovation and sustainability of each solution. The afternoon featured an awards ceremony honoring the four teams and announcing their final placings, as well as special lectures delivered by Professor Edmans, Professor Marquis and Professor Shin.
      “We will continue to pursue solutions assisting the visually impaired, and thanks to LG’s support, we will be able to achieve this at a greater scale and in less time than we otherwise would have,” said Ahrum Choi of Dot Inc., Grand Prix winner of the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD. “We are so grateful for this experience and are looking forward to collaborating with LG in the future, a company that really shares our desire to make the world a better place.”
      “We will continue to collaborate with like-minded innovators as we forge ahead on a shared journey to create a sustainable future for all, embracing the company’s Life’s Good vision,” said Lee Sam-soo, Chief Strategy Officer at LG Electronics.
      Meanwhile, LG will carry out ESG efforts spearheaded by the Better Life Plan 2030 and continue to share the initiative with internal employees and external stakeholders in order to bolster the company’s sustainable business practices.
      For all the latest on LG’s ongoing efforts to realize a Better Life for All, stay tuned to
      link hidden, please login to view.  
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      LG’s business practices and technological innovations reflect a deep-held desire to help improve people’s lives and make a positive impact on the planet. LG always believes that Life’s Good and aims to create innovative technologies and products that present exceptional values, contributing to a smarter, more convenient way of living and ultimately leading to a Better Life for All. This belief led LG to establish the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD, an innovation challenge that was held for the very first time in 2022.

LIFE’S GOOD AWARD
      First announced at CES 2022, the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD gave innovators from all around the world the opportunity to share their novel ideas for technology-driven solutions targeting environmental sustainability – Innovation for the Planet – or accessibility – Innovation for People.
      A total of 334 entrants – individuals and groups – from 61 countries participated in LG’s inaugural innovation challenge, with four finalists chosen among them by an expert jury comprised of renowned ESG scholars, LG’s own executives and the head of LG Technology Ventures. Revealed at CES 2023, Dot Inc. and Day1Lab of South Korea, SOLUTUM of Israel and NONA Technologies of the United States will compete in a final pitching session to decide the ultimate winner.
      Read on to learn about the four finalists’ innovative solutions that could help solve global challenges and how those solutions align with LG’s vision for a Better Life for All.
      Innovations Creating a Better Life for All

Dot Inc.: Bridging the Information Divide for People With Visual Impairments
      “We want to build bridges that connect the visually impaired to their families, and to society.”
      Since 2015, South Korea’s Dot Inc. has been working on creating assistive technology for the visually impaired, such as the highly inventive Dot Braille Smartwatch. Dot Inc. has more than 120 technology patents to its name and was the winner of Titanium Lion at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity 2022. The company also won Best of Innovation in the Accessibility category at CES 2023.

Dot Inc.’s entry for the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD is ‘Dot pad’, a display solution designed to bridge the information gap for the visually impaired. With 2,400 braille pins – or ‘dots’ – which move up and down, the novel device converts images, maps and other diverse digital information from connected devices such as computers and mobile phones into tactile graphics for visually impaired users to feel and comprehend. Thanks to Dot Inc.’s innovative ‘Dot Cell’ electromagnet actuator technology, the game-changing device is twenty times smaller and ten times lighter than similar types of displays currently on the market, providing a far more convenient way for sight-impaired users to find and access information.

Day1Lab: Reducing Microplastics With Biodegradable Plastic Technology
      “We want to see the dawn of a plastic-free world.”
      Starting life in 2021 as a research team at Korea’s Seoul National University College of Engineering, Day1Lab strives to develop alternative plastic materials to solve the global problem of microplastic waste. The environmentally focused startup has been honored with various awards, including the K-Startup Award (Prime Minister of State Award), the Environmental Entrepreneurship Idea Award (Minister of Environment Award) and the SK hynix Startup Idea Award.

For the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD, Day1Lab presented a carbohydrate complex alternative plastic solution that, according to the startup’s internal test results, completely degrades naturally in freshwater after about two weeks, and in the earth after about two months. The jury lauded Day1Lab’s waste-fighting invention, noting its superiority over petroleum-based solutions which are the current status quo for biodegradable plastic solutions. With ongoing research in biodegradable plastics for a microplastic-free world, there’s much more to come in Day1Lab’s future.

SOLUTUM: Bioplastic That Dissolves Without Toxic Residue
      “What would you like to leave behind for future generations?”
      SOLUTUM is an innovative clean-tech startup that, like Day1Lab, is targeting the monumental challenge of ending plastic pollution. The company has successfully developed a novel plastic material and biodegradable technologies and has been selected as a sustainability innovator by Mass Challenge, the Coller Startup Competition and Seagate.

For the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD, SOLUTUM proposed a new plastic solution that degrades naturally without leaving behind any toxins. The material decomposes almost completely (90.2 percent) when put in freshwater for 56 days, and can be produced on existing plastic assembly lines – factors that have helped SOLUTUM secure a partnership with a leading beverage company.

NONA Technologies: Desalination Solution for Combating the Climate Crisis and Water Scarcity
      “Make your own purified water anywhere.”
      Made up of MIT School of Engineering and Sloan School of Management graduates, NONA Technologies develops water treatment technology that converts seawater to freshwater for industrial and domestic use.

NONA Technologies submitted a creative desalination solution for the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD. Devised in response to climate change and grounded on Ion Concentration Polarization (ICP) technologies, the solution is able to remove viruses, bacteria, salt and debris from water. The new innovation can be applied at a smaller scale than existing desalination technologies and offers the added benefits of higher energy efficiency, lower costs and lighter weight. As such, NONA Technologies’ creation could prove immensely useful in natural disasters or water shortages, providing affected communities with a reliable supply of drinkable water.

The four finalists of the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD were selected based on the huge potential of their innovations to contribute to a Better Life for All. To find out more about how these warm-hearted, technology-driven solutions can create positive changes for people and the planet, check out the LIFE’S GOOD AWARD Conference, taking place at LG Sciencepark in Magok, South Korea, on January 16.
      Tune into
      link hidden, please login to view, and keep up to date with the latest news at . # # #

• By News Reporter
      Starting off the new year with the world’s most exciting, influential tech show, CES returned to an in-person affair with a bang after two years of coming to you in online and hybrid formats. And by gathering companies from around the world under one roof to present their most innovative products and solutions to date, it turned out to be the biggest and best edition of the trade show where we can get a first glimpse at the future of technology.

This year, based on the idea that the answer is always with the customer, LG presented the meaning behind its ‘Life’s Good’ vision by demonstrating how its latest and greatest products and technologies enhance their quality of life and take the user experience to unimaginable levels.

Upon entering the LG booth, visitors passed through the company’s latest gigantic OLED installation, which has become the must-see attraction at every CES event of the last decade.

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of LG OLED, this year’s OLED attractor, OLED Horizon, comprised 260 flexible and open-frame 55-inch OLED displays which enabled it to take on a new, completely captivating shape inspired by revolutionary OLED’s historic legacy as much as its expansive future.

Greeting visitors inside the booth were four ultra-large LG SIGNATURE OLED M (model M3) TVs seamlessly put together to display the most mesmerizing images as they appeared to float in mid-air, untethered by wires or cables. The world’s first 4K 120Hz TV with a wireless AV connection, M3 employs a separate Zero Connect box that enables the wireless transmitting of video and audio signals as well as connections to external devices, affording users a simpler installation process and even more freedom when designing the interior of their dream home.

Another great new OLED innovation on display at CES this year, the LG OLED T is just as much a work of art as it is a display, thanks to a beautiful combination of glass, wood and revolutionary transparent screen technology.

Featuring a wireless AV connection and the ability to see through its high-resolution screen, even when in use, the LG OLED T provides a multi-mix of reality and fantasy that harmonizes on-screen content with physical objects or spaces to create the content of the future.

The LG space was also home to other new OLED TVs, like the LG Micro LED model that delivers unprecedented cinematic viewing experiences courtesy of its massive 136-inch 4K resolution screen and rapid 120Hz refresh rate. With a modular design that makes installation and set-up quick and easy, each tile connects wirelessly to eliminate the hassle of arranging multiple cables. Just a few meters away, the ultra-premium LG SIGNATURE OLED 8K TV (model 88Z3) delivered CES attendees the realistic visuals that must be seen to be believed through the detailed, razor-sharp image quality that its giant 88-inch display supports.

Visitors could also discover how LG OLED TVs synchronize with people’s unique lifestyles and tastes, with a special room that utilized the company’s 97-inch LG OLED M, LG Soundbar (model S95QR) and projection displays to illustrate a new, incredibly immersive multi-screen experience as well as a look into the multi-sensory possibilities of today and tomorrow.

The power of OLED was not limited to the company’s TVs either. Equipped with the world’s first 240Hz OLED panel, LG’s latest premium UltraGear gaming monitors – in new 27- and 45-inch sizes – deliver a record-breaking response time of 0.03 milliseconds (Gray-to-Gray). With an immersion-enhancing 800R curvature, the show-stopping 45-inch model harnesses the immense potential of OLED with a 240Hz refresh rate that guarantees total gaming immersion every time.

Also celebrating 10 years since the first gram was introduced to the world, LG marked the occasion by revealing two 2023 LG gram models at CES. The thinnest gram ever made, LG gram Ultraslim weighs just 998 grams and boasts a depth of 10.99 millimeters. Also, LG gram Style laptops, which come in 14 and 16 inches, boast an elegant glass design that makes it easier to express their unique style at home, in the office and on the go.

Introducing new products that provide extraordinary brand experiences based on experimental ideas and bold designs, LG Labs made its debut at CES 2023. As a new product within LG, the zone featured fresh new products and prototypes – pluspot, Monshoecl, brid.zzz, hover gym and excicle – that visitors could all experience in-person.

The Better Life for All zone highlighted the company’s continuing commitment and efforts to achieve sustainability. This includes the eco-friendly practices it has applied from product design to disposal, as well as the multiple design innovations it has made to ensure everyone, no matter their ability, can easily enjoy the endless benefits and convenience provided by cutting-edge LG products.

Not only is LG striving to be the most sustainable company, but also the most accessible. This is why visitors could listen to their way around the large LG booth as well as all the major content that was created exclusively for this occasion. Every zone even provided braille inscriptions for the visually impaired.

Embarking on a new era of premium appliances with leading-edge performance and exquisitely refined designs, LG introduced its second generation of LG SIGNATURE products including OLED R, Dual InstaView refrigerator, a washer and dryer pair, air conditioner, air purifier and the Wine Cellar.

Another eye-catching zone was dedicated to its LG MoodUP refrigerators, which exuded an array of vivid colors that captivated CES attendees. First unveiled at IFA 2022, this unique refrigerator can express the user’s unique personality, mood or style by transforming the kitchen’s ambiance by switching through a wide palette of door colors and providing music streaming to “turn your MoodUP.”

Finally, the Lifestyle Zone was divided into three different sections based on the household’s distinct persona: creator, big family as well as the newlyweds and pet lover. Especially the Creator’s Room, designed with the famous New York-based designer Jeff Staple, presented the perfect space for trendsetters and creators, with LG ARTCOOL Gallery air conditioner, WashTower, Styler and the advantages of LG ThinQ more than enough to satisfy their individual tastes and preferences.

Within the family zone, LG created a smart home fully equipped with advanced, large-capacity appliances supporting LG ThinQ Care Service and ThinQ UP. Meanwhile, the zone for newlyweds and pet lovers utilized diverse products such as LG WashTower, PuriCare Aero Furniture and tiiun which all boast trendy yet minimalist designs, are made from recycled materials and show off incredible features that make them easy to use by people of all abilities.

Stay tuned to see how the innovations showcased at CES 2023 better the lives of all customers by subscribing to the
      link hidden, please login to view, and make sure you’re the first to know what’s coming up next for LG! # # #