Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Alex

LG Watch Urbane LTE

You may never have the opportunity to buy it, but LG’s Watch Urbane LTE is a vital step forward for smartwatches. We were first to find extensive photos of the watch back at CES, and it’s finally come to fruition at Mobile World Congress.

We’ve seen a lot of Android Wear watches over the last eight months, but none of them are lighting up the sales charts. There are a lot of reasons for this, one of which is Google’s confusing, messy watch interface. Android Wear clogs the screen with countless Google Now notification cards that are difficult to control and impossible to predict. You don’t really know what the next screen holds when you’re on an Android Wear watch, and that’s not fun. LG is committed to Google, but has recognized some of its software failures. With the Watch Urbane LTE, it has gone rogue to fix a few of them.

Running a version of LG’s WebOS (the operating system that powered the Palm Pre years ago), the Urbane LTE has the ability to connect to a wireless carrier without tethering to a phone. Yep, this watch can have its own phone number, take calls, make calls, and send/receive text messages by itself. The predictive text on the keyboard is better than you’d expect, too. We’re not going to say it’s fun to type on a tiny watch face, but it certainly is doable here. Android Wear has none of these features yet, nor support for NFC payments, which LG has also integrated.

Choosing when to wait for Google to add new features to its Android OS and when to go rogue and do your own thing is a dilemma manufacturers often face, and LG is right on the nose with the Urbane LTE. The new watch runs on a Snapdragon 400 processor, 1GB of RAM, 4GB of memory storage, and a 700mAh battery; it has LTE connectivity, a heart-rate monitor, an accelerometer, near-field communication (NFC), and a 1.3-inch, 320 × 320 P-OLED screen. These enhancements in battery, RAM, sensors, and LTE put it ahead of almost everything else on the market, and LG’s WebOS software shows huge promise.

Instead of the notification mess that is Android Wear, the Watch Urbane LTE has a button that takes you to a scrolling list of apps, which whip like a tornado around the edge of the circular screen. Having a list of apps on your watch is a simple enough idea, and one that even the Apple Watch has, but Google has failed to provide anything like this in Android watches yet. A tap of the top button on the Urbane LTE brings up quick settings — again, a basic, but very helpful feature — which lets you turn on and off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. The bottom button acts as a back button. Again, great idea.

LG has also amped up watch face customization. Using its store, you can choose from different looks and customize the colors or texture of the background, time-keeping handles, and index of your watch face. Digital faces are available as well.

Finally, outside of the impressive new tech it brings to the table, the Watch Urbane LTE is also the most beautiful and stylish watch LG has created yet. It’s still definitively masculine, but it looks a lot better on thinner wrists (like my own) than previous models. This is thanks to a better-integrated watch band, which blends right into the sides of the brushed metal face. Style is a major part of the equation on smartwatches. With the Urbane LTE, LG nailed it.

We named the LG Watch Urbane LTE our favorite wearable product at Mobile World Congress 2015. It’s currently only slated to ship in South Korea, but if it starts lighting up the sales charts, we could see it elsewhere. Still, no matter what the future holds, we hope Google sees the light and fixes Android Wear up, or LG will continue to invest in WebOS. The Watch Urbane LTE is exactly where smartwatches need to go.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/watch-reviews/lg-watch-urbane-lte-hands-on/#ixzz3ThsENWLN

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• LG INTRODUCES WORLD’S FIRST 8K OLED TV

First To Mass Produce Large Screen OLED TVs, LG Poised to Lead Market in Advanced Premium TV Technologies BERLIN, Aug. 29, 2018 — Already a leader in advancing TV innovation with its OLED TVs, LG Electronics (LG) is introducing the world’s first 8K (7680 x 4320) OLED TV. Previewed at IFA 2018, the 88-inch class 8K LG OLED TV features over 33 million self-emitting pixels to produce the unmatched contrast ratio and true blacks that define OLED TV’s iconic picture quality. With OLED TV shipments in the market expected to double in 2018 and reach over nine million units by 2022, LG will continue to increase the OLED share in its premium TV portfolio and drive large scale consumer adoption of OLED TVs. While the 8K TV market is still in its infancy, it is expected to grow to more than 5 million units by 2022, and LG is committed to leading the ultra-premium market with its 8K OLED TV technology. Despite advancements in LCD field, OLED has been often referred to as the “nextgeneration display technology” because it emits its own light, eliminating the need for any kind of backlighting. This allows for state-of-art TVs which redefine both the picture quality and the product design. Not only was LG able to pioneer such technologies, but it was also able to successfully market them. “LG’s first 8K OLED TV is the pinnacle of technological achievement and the next evolutionary step in display technology,” said Brian Kwon, president of LG Home Entertainment Company. “4K OLED played a major role in reshaping TV industry and LG is confident that 8K OLED will do the same.” LG introduced the 88" 8k OLED TV at CES 2018  

By Alex, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 3 replies
    • Question: Cant watch internet programmes

Every time i try to watch netfilix or any other prigrammes on my smart tv. It restarts saying its going to  free space but still dont let me watch the app

By Maxwell loxley, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • Question: Photos and Videos app works unintuitively?

I loaded the Photos & Videos app and was pleased to see a Filter that allowed it to show both Photos AND Videos.  So I applied that Filter (which was probably the default anyway).  I see thumbnails of Photos AND Videos.  So then I clicked on the first thumbnail, which happened to be a video.  When that video finished playing, it went to the next video and so on through all the videos.  I expected it to go to the next Photo OR Video.  In other words I expected it to step through and play the thumbnails as they were displayed by the filter. I don't suppose the LG webOS programmers visit this forum, but if they do, can this feature be changed?  If I just wanted to watch videos, I would have changed the filter to just videos.  Instead it looks like it launches the video player and then goes to the next video.

By Mark Tiede, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • Question: Netflix unable to cast through mobile App

I just got an LG 55" smart TV with WebOS 3.0 was able to setup everything including network.

Installed and updated Netflix. But when i try using my Phone (Note8) Netflix and cast to the TV it only opens the netflix on the TV. Doesnt stream or open any movies that I select in my phone Netflix app. On my phone Its showing  that it is casting but doesnt play on the TV

Anyone encountered this issue? And fix you can recommend please?

Youtube is perfectly working with casting through the phone YouTube app

By Hellows, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • The Palm Pre is still one of the most forward-thinking phones 9 years after it launched

If you haven't noticed of late, the latest iterations of iOS and Android heavily leverage gestures with their user interfaces – something that a now defunct mobile platform was known for notoriously implementing. It's almost unbelievable to know that the Palm Pre was launched almost 9 years ago, which in the smartphone industry is a really, really long time. Looking back at what it helped to establish, there's no denying that it was simply one of those phones that was too ahead of its time.  It's almost unbelievable to know that the Palm Pre was launched almost 9 years ago. One look at the Palm Pre when it first came onto the scene, its polished stone resemblance was a sight to behold back in 2009 – more so when it featured a portrait sliding QWERTY keyboard. For Palm, it was its most radically designed smartphone, setting itself apart not only from Palm's line of devices, but from all smartphones in general. Even more impressive, the Palm Pre featured wireless charging, which is a feature that only recently became akin to mostly high-end smartphones nowadays. While the phone's specs weren't ground-breaking for a smartphone during its time, it's memorable for the software that Palm meticulously developed. Palm's webOS was something truly different! And it's really ironic how iOS and Android today adopted many of webOS' signature looks and features. The cards view we get in both mobile operating systems was something that webOS brought along back when it was introduced in 2009. Moreover, webOS heavily leveraged a ton of finger gestures for users to navigate around the platform. From the swipe up gesture that "minimized" apps into their card view, to swiping away to close those apps, a lot is owed to the fundamental principles of webOS.   Above all, though, the Palm Pre was ahead of its time thanks to its "Synergy" groundwork – something that intelligently populated the correct information with your contacts. Essentially, Synergy helped to merge your data from all your services, whether they were email, instant messaging, or just general address book information, Synergy just took the hassle of managing all of that on our own. There was also the universal search that webOS offered, which is yet another staple feature in today's smartphones. However, we do recall how Palm was trying to sell us the vision of the future with Synergy – how a personal digital assistant of sorts could intelligently aid us. It reminds us of all the talk we have now about artificial intelligence. Palm sold us on the idea of how one day webOS can detect that you've snoozed your alarm too many times and automatically send text messages to the folks you're scheduled to meet up with – to tell them that you're going to be late. And that's all accomplished with Synergy's potential capabilities! As we all know, we never got to that point with webOS, which is a shame because the platform was undeniably ahead of its time. Quite frankly, it's still unbelievable that the Palm Pre was released 9 years ago. Just think about the possibilities if webOS somehow managed to survive and thrive. Then again, today's mobile platforms have clearly adopted many of webOS' features, which shows why the Palm Pre is a testament in being regarded as one of the most revolutionary phones ever to be imagined. Source: https://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Palm-Pre-is-still-one-of-the-most-foward-thinking-phones-9-years-after-it-launched_id105225

By Alex, in Palm Pre and Pre Plus

• 0 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Alex
      There's a new article from Forbes today stating that there are New LG Smartwatches Set For 2017 Launch.
      Question is, are any of them powered by webOS or will they all be Android...
      http://www.forbes.com/sites/paullamkin/2016/11/29/new-lg-smartwatches-set-for-2017-launch/