Quantcast

40 GB of free HD space to start the immediate recording??

chupo_cro

Question

What was the possible reason to implement the condition so there has to be at least 40 GB of free HD space to be able just to start the recording??

I made 2 partitions on my 160 GB hard disk - the first one of 40 GB assigned to Time Shift/Recording and the second one to store the movies - and now I cannot anymore start the immediate recording because it says 'There must be minimum 40 GB of free space to start the recording'!!

My question #01 is: Why in the h... would I've been forced to have the free space to store hours and hours of the recorded video if I want to record just a short TV show????

There, hovewer, is a (silly) workaround:

1. Just watch the show you want to record
2. After the show ends, rewind it back a few minutes before it began (Live Playback has obviously to be turned on)
3. Press RECORD and immediately after press STOP (and choose to save the content - that will save everything from the point where you rewound to present time)
4. Open Time Shift and start the newly recorded video
5. FF to the exact start of the show and press PAUSE
6. Use the mouse to press the arrow to open some additional commands and choose Save Selection (the in-point will be marked with A)
7. FF the video to the exact end of the show and press PAUSE
8. Press Save Selection one more time at the out-point to cut-out everything but the selected part of the video

This workaround allows you to 'record' even if you have less than 40 GB of free HD space, but that way the max. length of saved video is 1 h 30 min (because Live Playback saves only last one and a half hour).

My question #02 is: How it is supposed to fill the last 40 GB of the hard disk space if you can't even start the recording when you have 'only' 39.9 GB of free space????

The 1 h 30 min of Live recording can't 'eat' those 40 GB even if we are watching the maximum rate 1080i TV show so those 40 GB are not intended to be used by Live recorder. The only way to fill the last 40 GB of HD space seems to be in the case of recording for hours and hours!?

1 answer to this question

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By ironmonkey
      Just bought an LGLED-65UJ630 65INCH TV. Right away I started to get the message "This app will now restart to free up more memory". After searching the internet and forums, I now understand that this problem is huge, it has been going on for years now and it is right across many models of LG TV's.
      I have tried everything to fix this problem. It has the latest firmware. I did the factory reset and that lasted 4 hours before I got the message back. I turn off the TV and leave it for 10 minutes, maybe one hour later I get the message. I delete browsing history, maybe 10 minutes and I get the message..... you get the message.
      As I understand it, the problem is that LG TV's don't have enough internal memory, but they have shipped a ton of their "smart" TV's with this problem.
      My question is, has anybody heard anything from anybody, anywhere about a solution to this problem. I really want to keep this TV, but it is not fit for purpose in this state.     
    • By News Reporter
      As the mobility industry shifts towards software-defined vehicles (SDVs), the importance of automotive displays continues to grow. Advanced display technology is already enhancing in-car infotainment systems and user experiences by presenting drivers with a wealth of vehicle and road-related information, while offering passengers an array of entertaining content.
      The trend of incorporating larger and more numerous displays within vehicles, often referred to as ‘screenification,’ is elevating the convenience, safety and enjoyment of vehicle occupants, while also influencing vehicle cabin design. OLED panels, known for their superior image quality and unmatched flexibility (both literally and in terms of design), are increasingly being adopted in the premium auto segment.
      Market research firm Omdia projects that by 2030, one out of every two information display units used in premium vehicles will be an OLED panel. Several global automakers are now equipping their high-end models with large, high-resolution displays to meet customers’ evolving expectations and preferences. With their stunning colors, clarity and contrast, OLED panels are raising the bar for automotive displays and are expected to drive the market’s continued expansion.

OLED technology makes it possible to create large, curved and flexible screens for use in digital cockpits. In response to the auto industry’s increasing interest in premium displays, the R&D laboratory at LG’s Vehicle component Solutions (VS) Company has recently developed an algorithm for its in-vehicle OLED displays that compensates for any visual distortion related to viewing angle. This advanced technology, first showcased at Display Week 2024, ensures that LG’s automotive OLED screens deliver consistent brightness and distortion-free colors from practically any angle. As a result, drivers can now see images and text more clearly across all parts of the display, enhancing safety by reducing the time needed to check on-screen information.
      LG’s new technology overcomes the viewing-angle limitations typically associated with large, curved OLED displays. Currently, LG is the only automotive display supplier to have developed an algorithm that corrects these particular issues and is now in the process of commercializing this innovation.
      Research into flexible OLED automotive displays has been a major focus for LG VS Company’s R&D laboratory over the past year. Kim Kyung-lack, vice president of Display Development at LG VS Company, noted that due to extensive and ongoing efforts, LG is able to offer a wide range of automotive displays leveraging next-generation technology to deliver outstanding performance. Since 2022, LG has been developing advanced in-vehicle displays and now boasts an impressive portfolio of solutions, including screens with rollable, flexible and foldable form factors. The company’s diverse offerings provide automakers with more choices when designing vehicle interiors and offer vehicle users a richer, more varied in-car experience.
      Beyond automotive displays and components such as EV motors and smart lamps, LG VS Company offers cutting-edge in-vehicle software platforms and solutions. This software integrates seamlessly with the company’s display products to form a complete in-car experience solution, adding significant value for automakers seeking to enhance the functionality of their existing infotainment systems.
      Through its innovative solutions for vehicles, LG is accelerating the arrival of the SDV era and playing a leading role in redefining the future of mobility.
      To learn more about LG’s advanced automotive display products, visit
      link hidden, please login to view. # # #

• By News Reporter
      Company to Gain Deeper Insights Into Customers’ Lifestyle and Usage Patterns and
      Accelerate LG ThinQ AI Home Business

SEOUL, July 3, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) recently acquired an 80 percent stake in Athom, an industry-leading smart home platform company based in Enschede, Netherlands. The agreement includes plans to acquire the remaining 20 percent within the next three years. This strategic move aims to enhance LG’s connectivity within open smart home ecosystems. By integrating Athom’s capabilities with LG’s Affectionate Intelligence technology, LG aspires to lead the AI-driven home innovation era.
      LG plans to integrate Athom’s extensive connectivity – which links thousands of appliances, sensors and lighting devices – with the generative AI-enabled LG ThinQ platform. This integration aims to create an AI home that delivers optimal space solutions by gaining a deeper understanding of the customer. In LG’s AI home, customers will engage with generative AI, which will manage appliances and IoT devices to create a personalized environment tailored to their preferences.
      LG envisions expanding the differentiated customer experience of AI homes to various spaces where customers spend their time, such as commercial spaces and mobility environments, ultimately realizing and advancing the concept of ‘Intelligent Space.’
      Athom is a technology company that sells the smart home hub ‘Homey,’ which connects with home appliances and IoT devices, and also offers cloud subscription services. Founded in 2014, ‘Homey’ has expanded primarily in Europe over the past decade, gaining a loyal customer base of hundreds of thousands of users. As of 2023, Homey devices are available in Australia, Singapore, the US and Canada, in addition to Europe.
      Athom has developed its own hub and OS to create an independent smart home ecosystem. Its flagship product, Homey Pro, can connect to more than 50,000 devices and supports various connection methods, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Z-Wave, Matter and Thread, making it highly versatile and open.
      The Homey App Store, managed by Athom, offers around 1,000 applications for connecting and controlling home devices from brands such as Philips Hue and IKEA. Many of these applications are based on official partnerships, alongside a large number of apps developed by the Homey community. This community of developers actively contributes to Athom’s open platform, continuously expanding the range of brands and devices that can be connected to the hub. Users can easily create a smart home environment by downloading apps from the store and linking their devices.
      LG is poised to significantly enhance the scalability required for implementing AI homes, aiming to achieve the highest industry standards. This will be accomplished by integrating its LG ThinQ platform’s smart home technology with Athom’s open ecosystem and IoT device connectivity. The acquisition of Athom is particularly noteworthy, as it will enable LG to incorporate third-party devices and services into its ecosystem. This integration will provide LG with deeper insights into customer usage patterns and expedite the delivery of personalized services.
      “The acquisition of Athom is a cornerstone for our AI home business,” said Jung Ki-hyun, executive vice president and head of LG’s Platform Business Center. “By leveraging the synergy between the two companies, we will expand our open ecosystem and external integration services, aiming to provide customers with more diverse and multidimensional space experiences.”
      Even after the acquisition, Athom will continue to operate independently, maintaining its business operations and branding. This strategy is designed to maximize Athom’s growth potential and unique strengths while fostering synergies in business, research and development capabilities, and platform utilization.
      LG’s introduction of the AI home, which integrates Athom’s open smart home platform with its own AI technology, underscores the company’s commitment to transitioning from a hardware-focused to a software-based platform business. In 2021, LG expanded its TV business from hardware to software by entering the TV platform market with its webOS platform. To support this shift, LG acquired Alphonso, a US-based global technology company specializing in television media, machine learning and big-data analytics. Alphonso now operates as LG Ad Solutions, a core component of the webOS content and service business.
      LG aims to establish continuous relationships with customers through numerous devices connected to the AI home, ultimately transforming into a ‘Smart Life Solution Company’ that provides differentiated value.
      According to market research firm TechNavio, the global smart home market is projected to grow from USD 81.2 billion in 2023 to USD 260.24 billion by 2028, with an average annual growth rate of 26.23 percent.
      “LG is evolving into an intelligent space solutions company that connects and expands experiences in various living spaces. We will continue to make strategic investments to shift our business paradigm, as evidenced by our successive entries into platform-based appliance services and solutions such as the webOS advertising platform and AI home,” said William Cho, CEO of LG Electronics.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By denisuu
      Hi all,
      I'm wondering how you can get into the service menu (In Start) on an old LG Smart TV (42LB630V) running WebOS 1.4.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F) with a IR blaster, I have tried sending '0x04FB 0xFB04' to I which should be IR code to enter the menu, but that doesn't work.
      I have also tried entering it with the SSAP-Web, but I get:
      error: 500 Application error {"errorCode":-101,"returnValue":false,"errorText":"\"com.webos.app.factorywin\" was not found OR Unsupported Application Type" The SAPP-Web app does works though, because the TV does respond to Get info
      { "returnValue": true, "product_name": "webOS", "model_name": "HE_DTV_WT1M_AFAAABAA", "sw_type": "FIRMWARE", "major_ver": "05", "minor_ver": "05.90", "country": "omitted", "device_id": "omitted", "auth_flag": "N", "ignore_disable": "N", "eco_info": "01", "config_key": "00", "language_code": "en-GB" } The reason I want to access the menu is because I've enabled DEBUG mode on my TV through the NVM method and I want to enter a root shell trough UART to enable SSH and root access.
      Gaining root access through NVM: 
      link hidden, please login to view
    • By News Reporter
      Augmented/Mixed Reality, webOS, AI and 5G Telematics Technology Combine
      to Bring Smart Life Solutions to the in-Vehicle Environment 

SEOUL, June 6, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG), a technology leader in the mobility sector, is driving the transition to software-defined vehicles (SDVs) with its pioneering LG AlphaWare. An advanced, innovative, and user-centric suite of software, LG AlphaWare is designed to deliver immersive in-cabin experiences and will expand the definition and expectations of future automotive. LG’s cutting-edge software solutions were introduced this week at AutoTech: Detroit, where the company also shared its insights and approach to revolutionizing the SDV business model. 
      During LG’s presentation at AutoTech: Detroit, Valentin Janiaut, LG Vehicle component Solutions Company’s software solutions leader, discussed several key topics concerning the transition to SDVs. He emphasized the emerging trend of vehicles becoming extensions of people’s personal space, providing seamless connectivity for work and relaxation, and transforming the car into far more than just a means of transportation. LG AlphaWare will play a central role in enabling SDVs to become ‘living spaces on wheels’ through its ability to facilitate user-experiences similar to those offered by LG’s consumer electronics for the home. 
      The LG AlphaWare suite of software consists of five sophisticated core solutions that work together to enhance the in-vehicle experience. Boasting comprehensive support and seamless integration with OEM in-vehicle systems, AlphaWare empowers mobility providers to overcome technical challenges and deliver home-like comfort and connectivity to drivers and passengers: 
      PlayWare – an entertainment platform that enhances the in-vehicle infotainment experience through the delivery of high-definition content and superior sound quality. Leveraging LG’s partnerships with major streaming apps, sports and news channels, PlayWare brings the LG TV experience into the car. The platform requires minimal memory resources to run quickly and smoothly, while displaying content in stunning 4K definition for passengers’ viewing enjoyment. The platform also utilizes AI Audio technology, adapted from LG TVs, to upgrade audio content into convincing spatial sound, making every journey an immersive auditory event.   MetaWare – enhances the driving experience by leveraging augmented- and mixed-reality technologies to deliver meaningful information across various displays, from AR HUDs to clusters and central panels. MetaWare supports the procedural generation of realistic 3D environments, transforming standard 2D map data into dynamic, immersive visuals. This feature aids drivers in better understanding their car’s ADAS and navigation system information, providing a more engaging and intuitive driving experience.   VisionWare – an AI and Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) platform that analyzes driver and passenger behavior through an advanced monitoring system which employs an AI algorithm, software framework, electronic control unit and camera technologies. VisionWare incorporates driver monitoring systems to prevent distractions and hazards that may occur when driving. It also features an interior monitoring system that analyzes the status of all passengers, detecting seat belt usage, hand gestures, behavior patterns, and the presence of children, to deliver a next-generation user experience.  BaseWare – the “backbone” of the vehicle, offers a comprehensive collection of versatile software modules to enrich OEM’s existing vehicle operating systems and assist in building new platforms. Engineered to support the essential lifecycle of a car, BaseWare facilitates reliable real-time management and simplifies service abstraction and development. An example of the components included is a Mixed Critical Orchestrator, which supports the management of service execution both on-device and in the cloud while adhering to strict industry safety requirements.  OpsWare – the central operations platform, designed to enhance collaboration among software developers. This platform facilitates seamless interaction across global teams throughout the entire software development process, from design to deployment. Alongside fostering collaboration, OpsWare prioritizes robust cybersecurity management, providing comprehensive support for long-term maintenance. LG’s Cybersecurity-as-a-Service offers continuous monitoring and in-depth analysis of cybersecurity risks to ensure vehicles’ software remains secure against emerging threats. Through its diverse capabilities, OpsWare supports OEMs in maintaining high security and in improving the efficiency of their software lifecycle management.  LG AlphaWare reinforces LG’s portfolio of state-of-the-art vehicle solutions and supports the company’s continuing transformation into a Smart Life Solutions company. A well-established and leading home appliance brand, LG continues its expansion in the mobility sector to connect and enrich customers’ experiences and spaces in meaningful ways. 
      “With our AlphaWare, we will deliver a safer and more enjoyable vehicle experience in the SDV era,” said Eun Seok-hyun, president of LG Vehicle component Solutions Company. “SDVs represent a shift not only in technology but in the entire ecosystem of vehicle manufacturing, usage and ownership. With the introduction of our advanced software suite for vehicles, LG is leading the way for new innovation and development across the automotive sector.” 
      For more information on LG’s vehicle solutions and LG AlphaWare, visit
      link hidden, please login to view.  # # # 

• Similar Tagged Content