Quantcast

How to install application on LG TV?

I am building the sample application from LG documentation which is here:
link hidden, please login to view

I can build it and run it inside the browser and the emulator and now I like to push it on a real LG TV. Here are few things I did:

# Create a tv2 device

ares-setup-device --add tv2 -i "username=root" -i "host=172.28.75.74" -i "port=22"

# Check which devices are listed with ares tools

ares-setup-device --list

<DEVICE NAME>    <PLATFORM>       <FILE STREAM>    <DESCRIPTION>            <SSH ADDRESS>

tv2              starfish         stream           new device description   (ssh://[email protected]:22)

emulator         starfish         sftp             LG webOS TV Emulator     (ssh://[email protected]:6622)

# Try to install the app on the TV

ares-install --device tv2 com.rn.app.remotekeyssample_1.0.0_all.ipk

# Gettings this error.

ares-install ERR! ares-install: Error: Connection time out. please check the device IP address or port.

Questions:

- Can I use a regular LG TV to install apps on it?

- If yes what should I do to connect to my TV? Any settings or command I need to do?

Thank you

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

One question regarding your expierence with this:

On the "App Test" documentation page it seems that this test won't install the app persistently on the device, that is the app does not stay after removing the USB stick.

Is the case or is it a real installation leaving the app on device after removal of the USB stick?

• 2 years later...

I have been deploying apps to a webOS TV for months now. Its very hit and miss. I always follow the advice here

link hidden, please login to view
as per micolet's post. However, I am only successful 20 percent of the time. 

I have tried the following:

1) Turning developer mode off and on again in the Developer Mode app

2) Blowing away all my ssh keys for previous LG apps

3) Removing and re-adding devices using ares-setup-device

4) trying port 22 as per some posts on this subject

The key is acquired correctly using ares-novacom --device EDNEW --getkey. I know this because any error with the ip would cause an error at this stage. The result of this command is a silent return to the prompt.

However, trying to list apps on the device throws an error, ares-install --device EDNEW --list returns this: ares-install: Error: Please check the device IP address or port.

Sometimes i can make the connection, but most of the time it fails and I cant see any pattern. 

If anybody can shed some light on this I will be extremely grateful, its a tiresome blocker for me.

Ed

• 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By ct3fq
      Hi List,
      Is it possible to run a script on power on TV? i.e.  We want that TV  stays in a site browser on power on.
      Any help would be appreciated
    • By João Inácio
      After a software update earlier this year (2022), the LG OLED55C1 TV web browser no longer correctly measures my internet speed. Before average normally. However, I believe the TV uses my Internet speed to the full because I can watch 4KHDR Streaming without any problem (Netflix, Prime Video). It's just the measurement in the web browser that shows grossly wrong results - My Internet contracted is 500Mbps and my TV's web browser measures 25Mbps (speedtest.net). The browser only measures the download speed wrong, the upload speed it measures right, as well as latency and ping.
      Several times I tried to report this problem to the local LG (Brazil), but they do not recognize the software error and only respond with irrelevant and useless information. There are several reports of this problem posted on the Internet, and even then, LG ignores the problem.
      Does anyone know how to contact the software development team at LG? I think they stay in Korea.
    • By Enx_xcite
      How Can i do for Unlock MY LG 43UP7750PSB.APH to PTB.ATM coz i moved to thailand DVB-T2 not working

Anyone has any ideas? or Solutions?
    • By Alex
      Build Your First App for webOS TV
      Web apps are written using HTML with copious amounts of CSS and JavaScript for style and functionality. Any modern Web browser can deliver this type of apps to the user.  With webOS TV, web apps are elevated to the lofty title of a first class citizen - web apps on webOS TV are given access to the same hardware, and OS features that typically available to native apps.

Web apps built for webOS TV are very similar to standard web apps. Like the standard web applications, you can create web apps for webOS TV using standards based web technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Anyone with experience in building web applications can easily start developing web apps for webOS TV.

Now, just create your app using the CLI.
      Run the webOS TV CLI.

Create new app with Enyo bootplate.
      ares-generate -t moonstone-2014 first-app Now you can continue developing and testing your app.

Edit ./first-app/appinfo.json file. Update "id" and "title" properties in appinfo.json file with text editor as below.
      {
          "id": "com.yourdomain.app.firstapp",
          "version": "0.0.1",
          "vendor": "My Company",
          "type": "web",
          "main": "index.html",
          "title": "singlepane",
          "icon": "icon.png",
      }

Package your app from app directory. If app is packaged successfully, you can see the created .ipk file.
      ares-package first-app  
      Run the webOS TV Emulator.

Install your app to emulator. Be sure to use the correct file name for your package.
      ares-install com.yourdomain.app.firstapp_0.0.1_all.ipk  
      Launch your app on emulator.
      ares-launch com.yourdomain.app.firstapp
    • By News Reporter
      In this episode of Mobility Inside, we’re going to put automobile software under the microscope, breaking down the systems that power our cars so that you don’t need an engineering degree to understand.

When it comes to learning about automobile software, AUTomotive Open System ARchitecture(AUTOSAR) that standardizes the structure of software installed in vehicles, is the place to start. It refers to the
      link hidden, please login to view in which vehicle manufacturers, suppliers, service providers and IT companies come together to establish the standards for software installed in most cars. But why is standardizing software for mobility so crucial?
      1. Convenience in Development

With the number of electronic components in our vehicles rising every year, it comes as no surprise that demand for the software that powers them is too. As the industry expands, software becomes more diverse and complex, making the search for systems compatible with different cars and models extremely challenging. That’s why many countries and companies are calling for the standardization of software structures, which is where AUTOSAR comes into play.
      AUTOSAR was established to set comprehensive regulations its partners must comply with throughout the design process to prevent future errors during the development of vehicular software. Not only does this benefit the entire industry, partners can save time and efforts in numerous ways.
      2. Reusability

AUTOSAR expands software reusability and expandability, too. Every common component installed in electronic automobile control services is standardized across the board. By presenting development methodologies and tools that can be referred to when developing complex software, companies can avoid developing something that already exists. Now, the same software system can cover several vehicles which, in theory, should save developers’ and manufacturers’ time, effort and money.
      What’s more, older software designed before the time of pre-set AUTOSAR standards can be integrated into systems without issue. Instead of changing one to fit the other, the integration of two separate yet distinct systems can even enhance overall efficiency while reducing costs.
      3. Modularization

To better understand the standardization of software during the stages of development, think of it like how LEGO blocks can be put together in various ways to create an infinite number of designs. Most software can be applied to various machines and cars instantaneously without altering software coding, so even if two cars require different types of software, modularized software is easily synchronized and integrated.
      Modularized software enables different systems to integrate without having to edit, add or delete any standards or regulations. For component suppliers, it surely makes more sense to create modularized software global manufacturers that can integrate with every system and device possible, saving them the time, costs and resources required to make a unique system for each vehicle or brand.

Thanks to a standardized interface, we no longer need every car module to be developed by the same company. As long as they comply with the standards for inter-module interfaces set by AUTOSAR, they’re compatible with other devices and systems too.
      Each year, new software is being developed for various purposes, including automobile safety. Thanks to modularization, most software should have the capability to interoperate with other devices and systems according to AUTOSAR’s software standards.

The AUTOSAR platform is backed by most major carmakers we may know of, including BMW, Ford, Bosch, General Motors, Toyota, Continental, Daimler AG, Peugeot, Citroen and Volkswagen, who are creating their own platforms based on AUTOSAR and enhancing interoperability by encouraging component manufacturers and IT companies to adopt the same standards.

AUTOSAR enhances the reusability of software modules between car manufacturers and component suppliers by unifying the languages and formats used by developers, simplifying the management of complex automobile electronics systems for both manufacturers and suppliers.

Since AUTOSAR published its standardized specifications for the integrated management of various software, LG Electronics has achieved Premium Partner status by constantly implementing various development-related activities based on its guidelines.

With the world digitizing at unprecedented pace, LG is constantly striving to enhance automobile platforms, including AUTOSAR, to make life better for people around the world in every way. Some experts have even boldly predicted that the cars of the future will run on software, not fuel. On the way to the future of mobility, which is expected to be unprecedentedly compatible and efficient thanks to AUTOSAR, stay tuned to see how LG is continuing to shape the future.
      # # #