Quantcast

PreCentral: Nexus 4 gains Touchstone charging thanks to clever hacking

News Reporter

Nexus 4 gains Touchstone charging care of clever hacking

I recently added a LG Nexus 4 to my smartphone rotation, and yes, that's an Android device. It's a nicely-designed phone and feels good in the hand, and as an added bonus to an old school Palm aficionado like myself, comes with built-in wireless charging in the form of Qi. For those unfamiliar, Qi is similar to Touchstone in that it's an inductive charging system, except that it's a standard that multiple manufacturers support with an array of cross-compatible devices and chargers.

There's just one problem with Qi: there are no magnets for alignment and traction. Also, Qi isn't compatible with Touchstone, so I've now got four mobile device chargers going at once on my desk: phone Touchstone, , , a new , and a Micro USB cable for all my devices not fortunate enough to be graced with wireless charging or a dock. As a Palm fan, that Nexus 4 Wireless Charger has been a particular point of contention for me , no matter how much I clean the back of the phone and the top of the charger (as the comments in my post on Android Central indicate, not everybody has this issue with the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger, but I'm also not alone in my problems).

Enter , a man that's no stranger to the webOS community as the chief of . Whitby's also a man that loves to tinker, and he's taken to adding Touchstone charging to a wide range of devices, including an audacious hack that .

Like me, Whitby was disappointed by the design of the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger (though, he has yet to get his hands on one, being in Australia and all). And being Rod Whitby, he took matters into his own hands and rather quickly opened up the back of the Nexus 4 and hacked in a Touchstone coil. What came out at the end he describes as "the world's first mult-wireless-charging phone," as the larger Qi coil still works with the Touchstone coil layered on top of it. Whitby reports that everything fit back together and that the phone is "fully operational". Additionally, in his testing the Touchstone charger seems to charge his Nexus 4 "significantly faster" than the Qi charger he has on hand.

While the phone can now charge from three different sources - Micro USB, Qi, and Touchstone - there's still work to be done. In particular, Whitby still needs to solve for this Touchstone hack the problem that afflicts the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger: he currently has the Touchstone coil installed but nothing to hold the Nexus 4 in place on the Touchstone charger. There are two options: install metal discs in the back of the Nexus 4 (Palm and HP webOS smartphones have metal discs that are drawn to ), or if that's not enough to keep the phone in place through its glass back, then small magnetic discs will be the order of the day.

So there you have it: even on a phone that's over a year removed from the last webOS devices and using the latest Qi wireless standards, the old standby Touchstone inductive charging system offers faster charging and a better user experience. It's one of the little things we're going to be able to crow about for years to come.

mf.gif

a2t.imgudbyN6702KY

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Stacy_g
      I have a LG TV model 55EG9A7T and I have been trying to connect my sennheiser bluetooth headphones using the wireless sound sync for the longest time but it is not able to find the device under available devices.
      I tried to call in LG tech support - but no one seems sure whether only LG brand headphones are supported. 
      Does anyone know if only LG headphones are supported?

• By News Reporter
      From flash floods, ravaging bushfires and the global pandemic, the world as we know is changing. While finding a sense of joy and hope in these times can seem insurmountable, LG Electronics in Australia is hoping Aussies can find something to smile about with its campaign, Rediscover Good, which aims to inspire viewers to rediscover the good in everyday life because “life’s full of good when you look for it.”

Launched as a series of television commercials and rolling out in Australia now, the campaign sets out to reframe the small moments in everyday life. The explores a family with two school-aged children enjoying a simple, yet hectic, weekend family breakfast before racing to their child’s soccer game. The family is shown interacting with various LG products such as InstaView® Door-in-Door® refrigerator and QuadWash dishwasher, showing how their lives are just a little bit easier with LG technology.

The same family appears in the commercial, with the focus on the son and the family pet getting into many fun messes throughout the day. However, thanks to the LG WashTower single-unit laundry solution which ensures clothes, duvets and dolls are fresh and clean in no time, the mess these two created are soon just a memory.

The features Millennial friends coming together for a fun-filled movie night at a home where LG products are featured through tiny moments. From gaming on the LG OLED Evo TV and blaring music on the XBOOM Go portable speaker while tidying up with the LG CordZero cordless vacuum to making popcorn in the NeoChef microwave, the 30-second clip demonstrates how LG products offer ease and convenience, allowing consumers to focus on rediscovering the good.

These stories bring today’s local culture to life and connect with consumers in a fun, personal and creative way. As part of the campaign, Life’s Good care packages filled with an array of wonderful items such as blueberry pancakes, teddy bears, knitted throws and cookbooks that could be enjoyed while social distancing were sent to fans and partners of LG in Australia.

The Rediscover Good campaign, whilst weaving in everyday moments to create an engaging visual display, reminds us all to take a step back and truly celebrate the joy and appreciate the good found in the everyday, a much needed reminder for not only Australians but everyone around the world.
       Contributed by LG Australia 
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      LG’s Cinematic Ode to the Possibilities of Life
      Showcases the Vision of Tomorrow’s Creative Artists

SEOUL, Aug. 27, 2021 — The Life’s Good Film, helmed by the up-and-coming director with support from LG Electronics (LG), debuts today on LG’s YouTube channel. Woven together from videos submitted by hundreds of young filmmakers from around the world, the Tisi-produced work delivers a beautiful and touching meditation on life as interpreted by young creatives.
      A key component of LG’s Life’s Good campaign which kicked off in May, the Life’s Good Film Project invited 531 young auteurs from 33 countries to share their creative submissions with Jackson. Using the best footage, Tisi produced a 20-minute story showcasing the world’s budding visual storytellers’ distinctive voices, fresh perspectives and undeniable talent. The project generated considerable interest online, garnering over 140 million impressions and more than 44 million total views of related posts on social media platforms during the production process.
      “I wanted to share the emotions we all have and feel in life no matter what corner of the world we come from,” explained Tisi. “Empathy is the key to communication with one another, especially when we’re getting through tough days.” At previews earlier this month, Tisi’s short was praised for its uplifting message and Tisi’s unique vision.
      “An exploration through many eyes around the world, Life’s Good, is a truly singular experiment,” said Diva Vélez of New York Film Critics Online. “The film demonstrates the beautiful differences of the human diaspora and our various environments, while also revealing how completely tied in soul and spirit we are and have further become due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.”
      The 20-minute short explores different aspects of a good life in six chapters: Life’s Beautiful, Life’s Community, Life’s Lonely, Life’s In Motion, Life’s an Adventure and Life’s Good. The first five chapters visualize a wide range of subject matter, from the beauty of nature, the vitality of physical movement, personal growth nurtured in times of solitude to the togetherness and warmth of a close-knit community. The final chapter depicts today’s young generation united in celebration of life, eloquently bringing the film to a close.
      LG will screen the trailer of Life’s Good Film on LG’s digital billboards in Times Square in New York City and Piccadilly Circus in London beginning from today. The short will make an appearance at select film festivals as well in the weeks ahead. The Life’s Good Film is now available for viewing on the channel. Additional information on LG’s 2021 Life’s Good campaign can be found here on .
      # # #

• By williamsats
      Hello, 
      I recently got a 32LB650V from LG Hellas as replacement of my old 32LM620A where it had a serious damage that coldn't be repaired. 
      Nice move from LG but....
      The new WebOS for the moment is a crap compared to the old menu.
      In the old menu i had:
      LG Premium with lot's of goodies
      LG Smart World where it was full of apps of anykind and i could find anything i want. 
      LG 3D World with nice short movies, cartoons and documentaries in 3D.
      Where are all these in WebOS????????

Now i have only youtube, facebook and 2-3 other useless stuff.

OK the panel's quality is better, sound is better, the configuration menu is OK, but where are all the other things that made me buy my old 32LM620A????????
    • By News Reporter
      As the first social generation to have grown up with access to the internet and digital technology from an early age, members of Generation Z have become today’s cultural opinion leaders all over the world. To connect with this demographic audience, LG launched the 2021 Life’s Good global campaign in May and called on young aspiring musicians and filmmakers to share their thoughts on what makes life special.

The second year of the campaign recruited the help of singer/songwriter Charlie Puth to spearhead the Life’s Good Music Project and director Jackson Tisi to headline the Life’s Good Film Project. The two-month campaign provided a platform for young talent to showcase their personal take on LG’s familiar theme and generated more than 100 million total views on various social media platforms. In total, the music and film campaigns attracted submissions from more than 1,600 entries from 48 countries, all conveying a sense of hope and optimism for the future.
      Clockwise from top left: Sade Whittier, Dani Kim, Stacey Capers, Stacey Ryan 
      The Music Project alone showcased the unique artistic sensibilities of over a thousand participants from 36 countries. From this diverse group of creative talents, four lucky artists from different backgrounds united by their passion for music were chosen to represent the 2021 Life’s Good Music Project in collaboration with Charlie Puth: Stacey Capers and Sade Whittier of the USA, Stacey Ryan of Canada and Dani Kim of South Korea. The selected winners will get the opportunity to complete and perform the song in a music video with Puth as well as receive OLED TVs along with other LG products.

“In the collaborative process of bringing a song to life, it’s always beautiful to touch on the shared experience despite any differences in our personal experiences, history, culture, or where we grew up,” said Puth. “We can come together through the universal language of music and our shared belief that Life’s Good.”

Hundreds of burgeoning video auteurs from 33 countries captured the footage of their own diverse and inspiring Life’s Good moments and submitted their works to the Film Project. The submissions showed how places, spaces and happy moments held special meanings in their lives and in the lives of their loved ones. Related posts on social media have garnered over 44 million views total to date, reaching a truly global audience.

LG’s 2021 Life’s Good global campaign reminds us of the limitless possibilities we have to create our own lives as we wish. With inspiring submissions embodying the immense talent and enthusiasm of the next generation of artists, LG hopes to share the message of hope and togetherness with the world.
      The inaugural 2021 Life’s Good Film will be unveiled on August 27 while the song and music video will drop next month. For more on the 2021 Life’s Good global campaign, stay tuned to LG’s and .
      # # #