Quantcast

[pivotCE] Putting a Touchstone in My Car: A Walk Through My Process

pivotCE

I finally put a touchstone in my car. For those counting at home (minus my almost two year departure from webOS to Android), it took me 3 years to work up the chutzpah to try the install. But I did it. What took me so long? I’m glad you asked.

Why now?

You’ve seen it done a lot I’m sure.

link hidden, please login to view
. But something always bothered me about the installs I’d seen. There were too many wires, the Touchstone was glued or stuck onto the dash using adhesive, and I always thought using the cigarette lighter (12V socket), or worse, a 3-prong power inverter was ugly (and kinda lazy).

What kept me from installing one in my car was that I told myself if I was ever going to do it, it had to follow 3 rules:

1. No wires! It had to be clean.
2. It had to be modular. I might want to sell the car but keep the Touchstone set-up.
3. It must be powered from the car’s battery or fuse box.

The problem was, I didn’t know where to begin.

The research

I knew adding power to the car was possible from stuff I’d read online. But everyone made it look so simple and I’m a car-wiring n00b. So I did what every online-savvy I-want-to-learn-something-new person does, YouTube. This video will teach you the fundamentals of installing an Add-A-Fuse or Expandable Circuit as it’s called in the video.

The other important thing to know in all of this is how to splice cables. With my time as a musician and tech hobbyist, splicing cables is pretty standard stuff. I did have to read up on splicing the USB cable that I wanted to use to ensure I could hide the cable. Google was my friend.

What I used to do it

The parts I ordered:

•  (I actually got these from AutoZone, link for example only)
  •  (the item here now looks a little different than it did when I bought it)

The tools I used:

• Solder/Soldering Iron
  • Wire cutter/stripper
  • Ratchet set
  • Heat shrink

Trouble spots

I ordered the Add-A-Fuse twice. I also ordered the Hardwire Barewire twice. Why? Because I never truly had it all grounded properly to begin with and I thought my parts were broken. I ordered new parts. And unsurprisingly, those didn’t work either. Until I tried a different spot for the ground that followed the instructions for bare metal in the video. Tada! Power.

I originally used electrical tape, the crimp joint that comes on the Add-A-Fuse, and left the ground wire bare. These are all areas that are recipes for disaster in a vibrating car. To overcome those areas, I opted to solder each splice and add heat shrink over it. I even coated the bare ground wire in solder to get a better connection behind the bare metal bolt.

Getting the USB cable through the holder was a pain. I tried carving with a knife, using a small dremel cutting wheel, and then finally opted to melt my way in there with the soldering iron. Don’t judge me. It worked. :D

Super quick summary on how I got power

1. Cut USB ends off Barewire and USB angled cable, soldered and heat shrinked together
  2. Stripped loose wire end of Barewire back, snipped off crimp connector and stripped Add-A-Fuse wire back, soldered and heat shrinked positive leads (red wires) together
  3. Added solder to ground wire from Barewire and secured it to the bare metal bolt
  4. Found a switchable fuse port in the fuse box of my car and bare metal bolt for ground
  5. Popped out the fuse, installed that fuse into the Add-A-Fuse, installed a 5 amp fuse into the second port of the Add-A-Fuse and plugged it into the port in my fuse box
  6. Plugged the USB cable into my touchstone and started my car. IT’S ALIVE!

Photo Gallery

Each photo has my notes as well. Enjoy.

#webosforever

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      As an avid supporter of the arts and culture, LG Electronics is committed to enhancing life by integrating its groundbreaking technologies with some of the world’s most exquisite art pieces. By providing artists and gallery curators with the finest LG OLED TVs, considered by many as the ultimate digital canvas, LG enables a captivating and inspiring multi-sensory experience.

In the Philippines, LG partnered with the National Museum of Fine Arts in Manila to celebrate the 140th anniversary of Spoliarium, an iconic masterpiece by renowned Filipino painter Juan Luna. Coinciding with National Heritage Month, LG Philippines donated various products, including LG OLED TVs, to the museum to foster a deeper appreciation for the arts and enhance public access to the nation’s rich cultural heritage.

On May 27, a total of 118 local journalists gathered in the esteemed museum’s Old Senate Hall of the Philippines to witness the latest advancements in home entertainment, including the newest LG OLED evo TVs (G4 and C4 series). Powered by LG’s α (Alpha) 11 AI processor, which offers four times the performance of its predecessor, LG OLED evo TVs provides personalized experiences tailored to user preferences and viewing habits.

Throughout the elegant rooms of the National Museum of Fine Arts, various LG home entertainment products were on display, allowing visitors to see firsthand how LG brings out the best image quality with its deep blacks and vibrant colors.

The event also featured the LG Objet Collection Posé, a Lifestyle Screen designed to provide new interior design freedom for décor enthusiasts. With its angular, minimalist design and flexible installation options, Posé blends seamlessly into practically any space with exceptional ease. It even boasts LG’s immersive Gallery mode, which displays works of art or photos on its self-lit digital canvas, transforming any space into a sophisticated gallery.

In addition to the OLED-infused devices, LG showcased its QNED TVs, which offer enhanced contrast, brightness levels and detailed picture quality for exceptional viewing from every angle. For those looking to create the home theater of their dreams, LG soundbars were strategically placed around the museum to elevate the viewing experience with incredibly immersive surround sound.

This event highlighted LG’s full commitment to fusing technology with timeless art to unlock more engaging and impactful cultural experiences. Aligned with its Life’s Good promise, LG will continue to support initiatives that spark creativity, promote cultural exchanges and enhance the appreciation of arts and culture through smart life solutions built for all.

Contributed by LG Philippines
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      In the second episode of the ‘Customers at Heart’ series, we arrive in Egypt to see how the LG team here are introducing customized solutions that seek to improve the entire customer experience.
      In Egypt, a country where 72 percent of its 111 million population are internet users according to
      link hidden, please login to view, the popularity of online shopping is significant. Recognizing this, LG Egypt has taken an extra step to understand and analyze the needs of local customers, aiming to elevate their online shopping experience. Customer needs in Egypt, related to LG’s Online Brand Shop (OBS), both in the digital and physical space, were identified and categorized into three main areas: simplified access to information on store locations or LG appliances; an expanded range of payment options for OBS purchases; and increased flexibility in scheduling for delivery, installation and repairs.
      The subsidiary took into account local customer data, even analyzing numerous customer call records and Voice of the Customer (VoC) data to better comprehend their preferences. For example, they observed that over 70 percent of Egyptians use WhatsApp, the messaging service. However, as the country is in the nascent stages of digital finance, many consumers still prefer cash payments. Thus, LG Egypt aimed to provide a wider range of payment options and unique benefits to attract people to the OBS.

Incorporating various data, the company enhanced its messaging features and created an All-in-One chatbot service through WhatsApp. With this service, customers can now choose their nearest store and, by clicking ‘Connect to Promoter’ and selecting text or video chat, they can connect with a knowledgeable sales representative.

LG Egypt also broadened its payment system by offering a method to pay for online purchases in cash upon delivery or in installments. They also improved purchasing benefits, such as member discounts and cleaning service coupons valid for a year from the purchase date.

The company also streamlined the delivery and installation process, allowing both to occur on the customer’s chosen date. This eliminates the need for customers to contact the call center separately for installation, saving them valuable time.

And to ensure customers receive the maximum benefit from their products, LG enhanced its after-sales service by scheduling service technician visits at times convenient for the customers and ensuring issues are resolved in a single visit – eliminating the need for lengthy waits for repairs. To cater to all customer needs, the Egyptian branch introduced ‘same day contact,’ a service that ensures technicians call customers on the same date of order request receipt; ‘Evening Care+’ for customers unavailable during regular office hours; and ‘On time – One Time’, which provides repair reception and processing during evening hours (17:30 – 20:30).  The company also streamlined returns through its ‘Instant Exchange Process,’ handing customers the ability to effortlessly request returns or replacements by taking photos.

These innovative changes to the customer experience have been praised by customers nationwide. Its chatbot and location-based features have played a big part in boosting customer satisfaction, and the numbers back this up. Last year, OBS sales increased 169 percent compared to the previous year while registered OBS members went up 79 percent. After witnessing these results, LG Egypt committed itself to further diversifying its customer care program and increasing the All-in-One chatbot’s applicability to provide the ultimate differentiated experience to LG Brand Shop visitors. The company also plans to expand their dedicated service infrastructure to around 90 percent, ensuring that customers associate LG services with ‘On Time – One Time.’
      Stay tuned for the next episode of ‘Customers at Heart,’ where we’ll be heading to another global LG office to learn how they’re thinking out of the box to enhance the customer experience.
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      Company Reinforces Industry Leadership With
      Summit for Technical Consultants From Across Asia

SEOUL, May 30, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) is currently hosting the inaugural LG HVAC Consultant Leaders’ Summit – LG Alumni Event – in Seoul, South Korea (May 28-31). The summit provides heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) consultants from across Asia with the valuable opportunity to benefit from LG’s extensive industry insight and to learn more about its advanced technologies. The first-of-its-kind event is expected to bolster the company’s leadership in the Asia region, which is now the world’s most rapidly-expanding HVAC market.
      Attending the summit were 46 consultants from five Asian countries: Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines and Vietnam. Technical consultants play a vital role in the HVAC business, supporting customers in important areas including system design, installation guidance and maintenance support. By collaborating closely with consultants in each market, LG is able to provide a differentiated customer experience that adds significant value to its industry-leading HVAC solutions.
      With its high-growth potential, Asia has emerged as a key market for the expansion of LG’s HVAC business. Driven by an increase in commercial construction and stricter government energy-saving policies, the region is experiencing escalating demand for smart HVAC systems offering integrated IoT control, building automation and real-time performance monitoring. A respected provider of high-efficiency residential and commercial HVAC solutions based on innovative heat pump technology, LG is working with universities and research institutes to develop the next generation of cutting-edge heat pump systems.
      In 2023, LG announced its plan to more than double the sales volume of its residential and commercial HVAC business by 2030 – an ambitious goal that will secure the company’s position as a global top-tier HVAC solutions provider.
      Through a series of engaging seminars being led by industry experts, the consultants participating in the LG HVAC Consultant Leaders’ Summit – LG Alumni Event will come away with new insight into the trends and technologies shaping the HVAC landscape in Asia and worldwide. Key topics include zero-carbon buildings and HVAC in the era of Artificial Intelligence.
      With Asia as the starting point, LG aims to strategically expand its consultant network around the globe, extending its outreach efforts to regions with high-growth potential, such as Central and South America.
      “It’s a pleasure to be sharing our cutting-edge technologies and industry insights with professional HVAC consultants from some of Asia’s most dynamic markets,” said James Lee, head of the Air Solution Business Unit at LG Electronics Home Appliance & Air Solution Company. “We will continue to collaborate closely with our consultant network to ensure the best customer outcomes and to grow our influence throughout the Asia region.”
      # # #

• By Home Owner
      This is a question about the IR Blaster port on the backside of the OLED G3 TV. I understand that the LG Magic Remote can be configured to control third-party devices through its IR blaster. Does anyone know if the LG TV's blaster is limited to working with the LG Magic Remote or is it possible for the LG blaster to pass-through the IR signal from a third-party remote to my device located behind the TV? I don't want to configure the LG Magic Remote to control my device. I would prefer to use my device's remote and just have the LG TV pass the IR signal from the frontside of the TV to the backside of the TV where my device can see it. Does this make sense?
    • By Aventiled
      Hey
      I have an OLED C3 evo
      A Pioneer amplifier is connected to the optical output.

I want to connect Bluetooth headphones and use them at the same time as the amplifier.
      The thing is, I haven't seen such an option on TV. It is possible to play simultaneously with the Bluetooth headphones and the internal speakers on the TV.
      There is no option for Bluetooth and the optical port at the same time.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
      Dani