Quantcast

PreCentral: Read This: Infighting, dysfunction, and the revolving CEO door; Fortune examines HP under Léo Apotheker and Ray Lane

Read This: Infighting, dysfunction, and the revolving CEO door; Fortune examines

By now you know . Many of the major players in the tech industry - Apple, Google, Microsoft - have charismatic CEOs that act as the sole and unchallenged leaders of their companies. HP is a little more traditional in the Fortune 500 sense, with a Board of Directors tries to stay involved in company business, though it seems that having several competing ideas leads to more drama than we had imagined.

Over the past few years everybody in the tech space has seen that HP's board has suffered from no small measure of dysfunction. They've had a revolving door of CEOs - Léo Apotheker's predecessor Mark Hurd had last just five years, and Carly Fiorina before him was forced out after HP's near disastrous merger with Compaq. The board had garnered a reputation of being a leaking sieve to the press, so much so that the chairman had at one point hired private investigators to examine the phone records of other board members and reporters (that ended with a publicly embarrassing trip before a Congressional committee).

But none of that compared to the brief reign of Léo Apotheker. Brought on in November 2010 after Hurd's ouster, and had been fired from leading a German enterprise software firm with revenue a fraction that of HP's. His tenure as HP CEO included and and webOS 3.0 (a project started by Hurd with )., the , an ill-advised "exploration" of , a , and just eleven months after being brought on.

Fortune set out to find out just what happened, interviewing dozens of current and former board members, executives, and employees and examining confidential company and legal documents in the process. What they found is a broken company, struggling to repair itself, with a board full of infighting and open challenges and a chairman desperate to maintain his position while burying over the decisions he'd spearheaded.

Not for the first time, the news reached the press before the official announcement. On Sept. 22, Apotheker read that he was being fired and replaced by Whitman. He was flabbergasted. In a meeting that morning, Lane told him that he had lost the support of the board and every single member of the executive team -- including former SAP loyalists such as Homlish. Before the board, Apotheker was subdued, dignified and resigned. But he was incensed. He had fully consulted with the board on everything, he told friends. He'd trusted Lane to make the board a functioning one, but instead Lane had turned it against him.

Lane distanced himself from the disaster, blaming Apotheker. The man who'd been proud of HP's bold moves was now running as fast as he could from the word "transformation." It had, Lane said in a conference call with investors, "been stricken from our language." Asked in a CNBC interview whether the board bore responsibility for HP's chaos, Lane reacted defensively. "I'm going to give you an answer right from my heart, okay? In January, I added five board members to this board. This is not the board that was around for pretexting. This is not the board that fired Mark Hurd. It's just like open season to write about this board. It's not this board. This board did not select Léo, okay?"

It's a massively long read, but for those interested in just how bad HP got, and how far it has to go, we have to recommend that you head over to Fortune and check it out. It's a doozy.

mf.gif

a2t.imgCBM-SY8WOj4

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By david4737e6
      Opening the web browser app, and going to photos.google.com shows a screen with a "go to google photos" button, but nothing works, the button does not respond and the only solution is to shutdown the whole tv, commander buttons do nothing.  64uq800006lb with latest firmware.
    • By News Reporter
      Company Continues to Perform Well in Highly Competitive Sector,
      Securing Orders Worth KRW 8 Trillion in the First Half of 2022

SEOUL, July 5, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) continues to establish its position as a major force in the electric vehicle (EV) component solutions business, confirming it has secured orders valued at KRW 8 trillion in the first half of 2022 to deliver its in-vehicle experience to diverse global automakers.
      Expanding cooperation with major global car manufacturers including Mercedes-Benz AG, Groupe Renault and General Motors and supplying its P-OLED IVI systems to clients’ electric vehicles, LG is seeking to augment its comprehensive portfolio.
      LG’s EV component solutions business is rapidly growing based on its three core businesses sector: the LG Vehicle component Solutions (VS) Company, ZKW Group and LG Magna e-Powertrain.
      Acquired by LG in 2018, ZKW Group boasts market-leading vehicle headlamp technology, and a global clientele that includes BMW, Mercedes-Benz AG, Audi and Porsche. Meanwhile, LG Magna e-Powertrain is expanding its worldwide production base, adding a third manufacturing facility (Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico) to its existing factories in Incheon, South Korea and Nanjing, China. Construction has already begun on the 25,000-square meter site, which is projected to open in 2023 and is slated to produce key components, such as motors and inverters, for General Motors’ next-generation of EVs.
      In the first half of this year, the value of orders for LG’s advanced EV component solutions surpassed the total accumulated value of all orders on hand as of 2021 (KRW 60 trillion) by a mark of 13 percent. The company expects that the accumulated orders placed with its EV components business by the end of 2022 will exceed KRW 65 trillion in value.
      Given the decrease in vehicle production due to the shortage of automotive semiconductors and other ongoing global supply issues, the performance is encouraging as the consolidated sales for LG’s EV component solutions business increased up to 24 percent compared to last year, reaching KRW 6.7 trillion.
      Based on a report from market research firm Strategy Analytics published in April 2022, LG is estimated to be already leading the global telematics market, boasting a 22.7 percent market share as of the first quarter of 2022 and recording a double-digit market share in the audio, video and navigation (AVN) market since last year.
      “Leveraging the advanced core technologies and the strong partnership with the global manufacturers, we will continue to provide differentiated value to our auto-industry customers,” said Eun Seok-hyun, president of the LG VS Company.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Pat
      Bought a new 65" Smart TV, all the preoaded apps You Tube, Netflix etc  are restarting after couple of minutes with "this app will now restart to free up more memory" message.
    • By Nathan Azzi
      hello, 

Got a new 86nano75SQA

google assistance BUILT in works fine - and if i ask it to play a video it does.

But external google assistance on my google devices, only turns the TV on and off, and opens apps..

I cant for instance say "Play big bang theory on LG TV"

Or it says "I also need to know which device to use. try saying that again, and include the device's name"

Can anyone do this? is it it expected it works? works fine with the built in assistant, but not external ones

• By H_Rovy
      I want to be able to turn on my TV without it automatically launching a cable channel. ( or repeatedly asking me if I want to turn on the cable box).  Is there any way to "just' start with the home screen? Also when I've been watching something (app or cable) and go back to Home screen, it will go back to what I was watching if there is no input for a minute or so. grrrr. so annoying