Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: BlackBerry 10 borrowing even more from webOS

When you're doing something awesome, people can't help but notice. They might not acknowledge it, but they take note and sometimes they just outright copy it. We saw it before when Research in Motion introduced the BlackBerry PlayBook, and we're seeing it again with today's introduction of BlackBerry 10. Where the PlayBook copied wholesale the multitasking card user interface of webOS back in late 2010 (prompting a "heh, good luck" from HP), today in 2012 RIM is copying the sliding panes of Enyo into the upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system.

Unveiled today at the BlackBerry World 2012 keynote, the BlackBerry 10 developer alpha is both interesting and confounding. While it looks nice, the operating system amps gestures up to a level unseen by even webOS. At least with webOS phones the only non-standard gestures you have to know are the back swipe and tossing away a card - everything else is self explanatory. With BlackBerry 10 gestures have become essential to every aspect of the operating system, with few visual cues that we could discern to help increase discoverability and lessen the learning curve. Strangely missing from the demos was the multitasking UI of the PlayBook OS.

The BlackBerry 10 dev alpha is based off of the PlayBook OS, which has had its own share of struggles, though RIM at least seems to have learned a lot in the process. We're intrigued by the pairing of predictive text with letters on the keyboard and how it apparently will learn how you type and adjust the tap area for buttons accordingly, yet amused in an admittedly somewhat condescending manner with the faux-realistic appearance of the virtual  keyboard (down to entirely non-functional 'frets' between the rows - on the physical keyboard they serve as tactile guides, on a virtual keyboard they are there just because).

Understandably, Kevin and the gang over at CrackBerry are excited by today's announcements. We're cautiously optimistic, as RIM has for the past few years been showing off awesome tech demos that never made it to a shipping product (or when they arrived were nowhere near as awesome as the demo). With the future of Open webOS devices a big unknown, we have to ask: is anybody giving BlackBerry 10 consideration?

Check out CrackBerry.com for all the latest BlackBerry 10 coverage.

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imguE6rBztbH2g

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Question: Hi people

I have a problem with my LG webOS TV lf630t...whenever I try to open an app I reaceive a pop up messages...application has not been installed..Try again..my Wi-Fi is strong..

By Victor Oure, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 2 answers
    • 2 HMDI channels using Dual Play feature, 2 people watch a different channel.

I really would like to see the feature to watch 2 HDMI channels at the same time. One with headset, and one on speakers (or two headsets)   This would solve a lot of frustation in families, like one person wants to play a game and the other wants to watch TV etc.   Obvioulsy you would need two HDMI sources. TV decoder, media-player, game console, blu-ray player ....   If you want a marketing name, you can call it Dual Watch With 4K TV's you wouldn't even lose resolution on your two 1080p signals.   Thanks !!

By kedas, in LG webOS Wish List

• 9 replies
    • [pivotCE]TCL, Blackberry & Palm

Shortly after the end of CES, I searched idly for any news from TCL. You may have read that they recently acquired the rights to make & sell Blackberry hardware. Longtime readers will recall TCL’s announcement at 2015’s CES that they had acquired from HP, the last remaining piece of Palm Inc: The brand name. To create an image for that story, I added Palm’s logo to the image on TCL’s website: Palm joins TCLSince that announcement, where TCL encouraged the ‘Palm community’ to participate in developing a device worthy of the name, there has been silence. Now, some have speculated that we could see some kind of combined Palm/Blackberry wonder device, but so far only a Blackberry has been revealed. If you click the link, you can see the familiar keyboard style & this points up the difference between the two purchases: One is a license to manufacture a branded product including hardware & the software that runs on it. The other is just a brand name. Of course, nothing prevents TCL from making anything it wants & calling it a Palm device, but despite it’s recent travails, the Blackberry brand is a going concern with up to date & current technology. Palm is not. In my search for TCL/Palm news, I of course visited the website & the image at the top of this story is from that site. My only change this time was to enlarge it. Note how the Blackberry logo has been added, then realise that the Palm logo doesn’t appear on their website & to my knowledge, never has. Two years on from the 2015 announcement, this likely tells us all we need to know about the future of the Palm brand, but there is one optimistic spin that can be put on this: TCL own the Palm brand. There’s a lot more direct benefit from the Blackberry arrangement, but it’s a licensing deal & one that has resulted from Blackberry’s problems in selling it’s own product. TCL’s Alcatel brand has long been an affordable, no doubt profitable, but unspectacular also-ran in the mass market. The team-up gives TCL access to a technology leader, a respected brand & enables Blackberry to concentrate on software, letting TCL worry about selling product to the masses. If TCL succeed, some of the profit will return to Blackberry. If they fail or the deal turns sour for some other reason, they have another brand ready to be painted on a high-quality handset; A brand unencumbered by licensing fees or any other external requirements: Palm. But really, don’t hold your breath! Related posts: Video: A feature comparison between webOS and Blackberry 10 HP is to Palm as Lenovo is to Motorola…Not Good Christmas News Crumbs, 2016 View the full article

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies
    • [pivotCE] Video: A feature comparison between webOS and Blackberry 10

With the looming shutdown of HP webOS cloud service in <gasp> just under two weeks, many folks over at webOS Nation’s forums have started jumping ship. For those of us who’ve survived all of the major hiccups, travesties, and terrorist plots that have seen webOS kicked to the curb or dropped on its head, this is nothing new. But to those that are leaving, to what platform will you go? Putting myself in the shoes of someone equipped with a cell phone life vest and standing on the sideways rail of the S.S. webOS-Titanic, I asked myself the same question: if I had to leave, to what platform would I go? I began to… Research I purchased a $40 Nokia Lumia 635 on sale on Cyber-Monday. I also received a Blackberry Z10 for Christmas. And I pulled my aging bastard of a Nexus device, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus from the closet and loaded it with an early build of a custom Lollipop version better known as Android 5.0. How’d it go? Read… The results Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 is pretty nice. The UI/UX is refreshing albeit drastically different from webOS. And Android 5 is still Android with some fancy new tricks in the notifications and multitasking view but still very different from webOS by leaps and bounds. Then I realized that I kept comparing them to webOS. I mean, that’s my perspective window. It’s what I know and love and have come to expect from a mobile platform so I kept using it as the UI/UX lens by which to judge the others. I can’t have an updated webOS and I accept that so I kept looking for an OS that’s… As close to webOS as I can get So when I started my test with Blackberry 10 (10.2.1 and then 10.3) on the Z10 I was as surprised by what I found. Most of it won’t surprise you. Many articles have been done about the similarities between Blackberry “stuff” and webOS. But check out the video below for my thoughts as I compare some of webOS’ best loved features to Blackberry’s version of them. Conclusion I’m not jumping ship. I love my Pre3 (and plus and 2 and pixi+…you get the idea). But if your window of perspective is similar to mine, you may find that the latest iteration of BB10 is the closest thing to webOS out there right now. I don’t own an iPhone, a Firefox OS, Ubuntu, or Sailfish OS phone. If I did, I’d dive in. If you’ve got another type of phone OS you’d like me to try, head on over to the forums and let me know. And if you think we should do more videos like this, let me know that too. For now, try some new things. You might be surprised by what you find. Talk about it! #webosFOREVER

View the full article from pivotCE

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies
      • 0 replies