Quantcast

PreCentral: BlackBerry 10 borrowing even more from webOS

When you're doing something awesome, people can't help but notice. They might not acknowledge it, but they take note and sometimes they just outright copy it. We saw it before when Research in Motion introduced the BlackBerry PlayBook, and we're seeing it again with today's introduction of BlackBerry 10.

link hidden, please login to view
back in late 2010 (prompting a ), today in 2012 RIM is copying the sliding panes of Enyo into the upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system.

at the , the BlackBerry 10 developer alpha is both interesting and confounding. While it looks nice, the operating system . At least with webOS phones the only non-standard gestures you have to know are the back swipe and tossing away a card - everything else is self explanatory. With BlackBerry 10 gestures have become essential to every aspect of the operating system, with few visual cues that we could discern to help increase discoverability and lessen the learning curve. Strangely missing from the demos was the multitasking UI of the PlayBook OS.

The BlackBerry 10 dev alpha is based off of the PlayBook OS, which has had its own share of struggles, though RIM at least seems to have learned a lot in the process. We're intrigued by the pairing of predictive text with letters on the keyboard and how it apparently will learn how you type and adjust the tap area for buttons accordingly, yet amused in an admittedly somewhat condescending manner with the faux-realistic appearance of the virtual  keyboard (down to entirely non-functional 'frets' between the rows - on the physical keyboard they serve as tactile guides, on a virtual keyboard they are there just because).

Understandably, Kevin and the gang over at CrackBerry are . We're cautiously optimistic, as RIM has for the past few years been that never made it to a shipping product (or when they arrived were nowhere near as awesome as the demo). With the future of devices a big unknown, we have to ask: is anybody giving BlackBerry 10 consideration?

mf.gif

a2t.imguE6rBztbH2g

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By GiovanniG
      Hi, today I've lost about 8 hours trying find out how to open an rtsp of an IP camera into a new 65" OLED TV, which is updated to the latest FW. Tons of apps for IPTV but none of them is able to open a working/tested RTSP, also including it into a playlist m3u file. Nobody in this world has thought to display an RTSP on a LG TV? Looks unbelievable.

I've read a bout "webOS Signage and LG" but no ide how to implement it, install it, nowhere it is described.
      I need to display an rtsp stream on LG tv, I have the chance only woth an external device by HDMI or DLNA? That's a shame..
      Thank you for help
    • By News Reporter
      Featuring Unique, Color-Changing Door Panels,
      the Innovative ‘MoodUP’ Fridge Revolutionizes the User Experience

BERLIN, Sep. 1, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) is set to unveil its groundbreaking MoodUP refrigerator with color-changing LED door panels at IFA 2022. Following up the recent launch of LG’s ‘always-evolving’ upgradable appliances, and the introduction of the ultra-elegant LG Objet Collection, the new fridge serves as yet another example of the company’s ability to respond to – and create – new trends in the home appliance space. The unique MoodUP, equipped with LG’s advanced refrigeration and smart technologies for better food freshness and enhanced convenience, also delivers a completely new kitchen experience, allowing users to choose a wide range of vibrant colors to its LED doors and play music via its built-in speaker as per their personal tastes and moods.
      With its innovative LED door panels, LG’s MoodUP refrigerator presents unrivaled interior design flexibility and a new way to create a stylish, integrated kitchen. Through the LG ThinQ app, users can choose from 22 colors for the upper door panel and 19 colors for the lower, giving them the ability to change the look of the fridge and their kitchen environment. Users can also customize the panels’ appearance and refresh the mood by applying various, evocative color themes including Season, Place, Mood and Pop. Using the tones and hues of nature, Season represents different times of year, while Mood elicits a feeling of wellbeing through the use of soft, soothing colors.
      In addition to its stunning, changeable colors, LG’s new refrigerator provides excellent sound via a built-in Bluetooth speaker that can be easily connected to a smartphone, tablet or laptop. Users can match their mood – or the fridge’s current color or theme – with songs from their favorite music streaming apps, or from the Music Collection playlist on the ThinQ app. What’s more, when the speaker is playing audio, the MoodUP’s LED panels can change colors in sync with the music, adding a sense of liveliness and fun to users’ time in the kitchen.
      LG’s revolutionary, new fridge also boasts user-friendly features, such as convenient and colorful notifications. When the refrigerator’s door sensor detects that the fridge compartment has been left open for too long, the panel on the door left open blinks repeatedly; letting users know that the door needs closing and helping to prevent cold air loss and unnecessary energy consumption. And when the MoodUP’s motion sensors detect that someone is approaching, both panels blink in welcome. The fridge even makes things easier at night time, its freezer door glowing brighter to help midnight snackers find and open the door.
      With its LED door panels switched off, the MoodUP refrigerator offers a combination of Lux Gray and Lux White for a more traditional look in the kitchen. The chic, timeless finish harmonizes with any décor and evokes the natural, subtle contrast of different colored stones.
      LG’s game-changing, new fridge also applies the company’s own On-Device AI chip for smart home appliances. Integrating advanced AI, the module enables the MoodUP to improve and extend the user experience with features such as upgraded voice recognition and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.
      “We at LG have always found exciting, new ways to move the customer experience forward and we are proud to do it again with the brand-new MoodUP refrigerator,” said Lyu Jae-cheol, president of LG Electronics Home Appliance & Air Solution Company. “Bringing color, music and convenience to the kitchen, and incorporating LG’s cutting-edge technologies and innovative design features, this unique refrigerator demonstrates our continuing commitment to delivering a better life at home.”
      Visitors to IFA 2022 (September 2-6) can experience all of LG’s latest innovations, including the MoodUP refrigerator, at the company’s booth in Hall 18, Messe Berlin.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By dabs40
      Hi. 
      I have the phone listed above and am not able to connect to my LG TV. 
      Anyone else in the house can but not me!! 😡 
      What is wrong with Samsung and LG? 
      I keep getting the same message when I try to connect : unable to connect to screen share. Try again.
      This is driving me nuts! 
      Anyone has a fix for this? 
      Ps: I have tried tons of sharing apps, disconnected all connected devices, phone and TV with latest updates, tried WiFi, WiFi direct, Bluetooth (all separately and together). 
      I'm running out of options and patience. Thanks for the help. 
    • By H_Rovy
      I want to be able to turn on my TV without it automatically launching a cable channel. ( or repeatedly asking me if I want to turn on the cable box).  Is there any way to "just' start with the home screen? Also when I've been watching something (app or cable) and go back to Home screen, it will go back to what I was watching if there is no input for a minute or so. grrrr. so annoying
    • By GiovanniG
      Hi! Thank you for your kind help
      I'm looking for a way to show an IP camera to LG TV, I've updated it to the latest version (WebOS).
      I really hope it is possible without buying an external HDMI box, there is any way to obtain that or install apps from USB? Thank you a lot!