Quantcast

PreCentral: WebCM9 makes Android feel a little more like home

WebCM9 makes Android feel a little more like home

Despite

link hidden, please login to view
hard work to found in webOS, Android 4.0 'Ice Cream Sandwich' still seems to come up short! To say that the card metaphor found in webOS nailed mobile multitasking would be a huge understatement. Some would argue that it perfected it. All webOS love set aside, many of you have loaded in order to enjoy the many creature comforts that Android has to offer - like Netflix and Draw Something. Don't worry, we aren't judging (much). However, you still find yourself yearning for some good ol’ fashioned webOS esque card swiping even when using Android. The gestures are a hard habit to break, and for good reason (being that they rock). To soothe your wanting fingers, there's WebCM9.

WebCM9 is a neat little mod for a couple of TouchPad ROMs that changes the current task switcher found in Android 4.0 to a webOS-style task switcher. Yep, it's cards on Android. WebCM9 currently supports CM9 Official Nightly 2/28-3/09, 3/12-3/19, and 4/04-4/12; AOKP (Build 28, 29, and 31; and Milestone 4); and CM9 Alpha 2 ROMs (if you followed the instructions linked above, you've got CM9 Alpha 2 installed). WebCM9 isn't guaranteed to work on any other Android ROMs, and the developer doesn't recommend you try, unless you're willing to deal with the potential consequences.

Installation is straightforward enough and is accomplished via Clockworkmod Recovery. Once installed you can further tweak out the settings of this mod with the app found in the Google Play Market. If you would like an in depth walkthrough on both WebCM9 and Task Changer Pro webOS Nation forum member ncinerate has done a very nice job of giving a of the whole process that is bound to help even the most lost and confused of Android hacking hopefuls.

So there you have it folks! You can have it both ways on your TouchPad. webOS cards in webOS, and webOS cards in Android. Sure, it's not the same as being able to run those apps in webOS, but it's better than nothing. If anything, webCM9 makes using Android feel a little bit more like home to webOS users. And of course, our thanks go out to Dubi, Pacosal, Bboyairwreck, Brucekey, Tbob18, and everybody else who helped make webCM9 a reality.

mf.gif

a2t.img2n96IMk8rxc

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Davor Vratarić
      Hello ,
      I have LG TV OLED55E9PLA with software version 05.30.40.
      I am also using Smart IPTV App.
      I would ask for some help....
      One of the TV channel I often watch is working on VLC player with these 3 lines :
      #EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="AvilaTV.ve" tvg-logo="
      link hidden, please login to view" group-title="Venezuela", Avila #EXTVLCOPT:http-referrer=

I tried to put this lines to my Smart IPTV list on my LG TV , but it don't work.
      Is there a solution to make this channel work with Smart IPTV App,
      since it only allows 2 lines for each channel ?

Thanks for your help
    • By JonoW
      Has anyone else had the same problem as me regarding the 'like' button on the YouTube app on my Oled77g7v? There is a thumbs up button and a thumbs down button for each video. These icons are supposed to be just an outline unless you click on them and then they fill in to show you have selected them. However, this no longer works on my TV. It is as if you never clicked. In fact, the 'like' icon is always pre_filled, no matter what I do. This used to work properly and it still works correctly on a Sony TV I have. Any ideas would be very welcome! 
    • By svsrama
      Hi,
      I have my LG 4K Smart TV -Model : 43UJ632T.
      I could not able to use the Wireless Keyboard ( Logitech K230) with Builtin Apps like Youtube, Amazon Prime or in Netflix to search. I could able to use only thru Magic Remote. 
      But the same Keyboard is working fine in Google Movies & SunNXT apps.
      Could you please help me in fixing the same.
      Thanks,
      Sriram.
    • By News Reporter
      Company Aims to Lead Shift to Software-Defined Robotics

SEOUL, Mar. 12, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) is making a strategic investment move to expedite the advancement of its capabilities in service robotics, a key new business area of the company.
      LG has executed a stock purchase agreement to acquire a stake in Bear Robotics, a prominent Silicon Valley-based startup specializing in AI-driven autonomous service robots, through an investment of USD 60 million.
      Rather than seeking short-term returns, this strategic investment is aimed at bolstering LG’s portfolio for long-term growth. Upon closing the stock purchase, the company will hold the largest portion of shares in Bear Robotics on a single-shareholder basis.
      At CES 2024, LG’s CEO William Cho had discussed such potential equity investments, stating, “In the service robotics market, we’re focusing primarily on areas such as delivery and logistics. However, we are carefully considering future directions, keeping open the possibility of equity investments or mergers and acquisitions.”
      Founded in 2017 under the leadership of CEO John Ha, a former Senior Software Engineer and Technical Lead at Google, Bear Robotics has gained recognition for its AI-powered indoor delivery robots catering to markets in the United States, South Korea and Japan. The company boasts a team of skilled engineers, including its co-founder and CTO, with backgrounds in prominent tech companies. Notably, Bear Robotics is drawing attention for its expertise in platformizing service robotics software, robot fleet management technology and cloud-based control solutions.
      Leading the Shift to Software-Defined Robotics and Enhancing Synergy in Robot Business
      LG is preparing for a transition towards Software-defined Robotics (SDR), a shift from hardware to software emphasis, similar to what has been observed in the mobility industry. In anticipation of future growth, the company is committed to developing scalable service robots on an open architecture software platform so that it may cater to a variety of environments, recognizing the critical importance of standardizing AI-based autonomous robot platforms. With this understanding, LG views this strategic investment as a pivotal opportunity to propel its robot business capabilities.
      With years of experience in the robot business, LG has accumulated expertise in deploying robot solutions across various commercial spaces such as airports, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, retail stores, museums, smart warehouses and golf courses. LG operates a facility dedicated to the production of service robots at the LG Future Park in Gumi and boasts world-class capabilities in management of quality, supply chain and customer services.
      By combining Bear Robotics’ world-class R&D talents and software platform expertise with its own strengths, LG aims to spearhead efforts in standardizing robot platforms to significantly reduce market-entry costs, thereby enhancing operational efficiency and fostering synergies. “Just as Android revolutionized the smartphone era, standardized open platforms are essential for the activation of the robot market,” remarked Bear Robotics CEO John Ha.
      Charting a Course for Future Growth in the Service Robotics Market
      In recent years, LG has strategically reallocated resources towards high-growth sectors for the future, aligning with market dynamics and the strategic significance of its business models. The investment in Bear Robotics epitomizes LG’s dedication in accelerating the advancement of its service robot sector, a pivotal component of its future growth strategy.
      LG has been nurturing its robot business as one of its future core pillars. From the deployment of guide robots at Incheon International Airport in 2017, it has progressively introduced tailored solutions for diverse commercial settings, encompassing delivery and disinfection functionalities. Since the preceding year, LG has actively pursued expansion into international markets including the United States, Japan and Southeast Asia.
      The service robotics market is expected to experience rapid growth, propelled by the rapid advancement of technologies such as AI and communication. On a global scale, the market is anticipated to grow from USD 36.2 billion in 2021 to USD 103.3 billion by 2026.
      Last year, LG unveiled its Future Vision 2030, outlining its goal of evolving into a Smart Life Solution Company that can seamlessly connect and expand customer experiences across various domains, including home, commercial, mobility and virtual spaces. Aligned with this vision, LG aims to achieve the ‘Triple Seven’ goal: an average growth rate and operating profit of seven percent or more, alongside an enterprise value translating into an EBITDA ratio of seven.
      “As the service robot market enters a period of growth, this equity investment will significantly contribute to securing a ‘Winning Competitive-edge’ for the company,” emphasized Lee Sam-soo, chief strategy officer at LG Electronics. “From a mid- to long-term perspective, we will seek to develop our robot business into a new growth engine, exploring various opportunities through the integration of cutting-edge technologies such as Embodied AI and robotic manipulation.”
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      Features Seamless Integration With LG StanbyME Screens’ UX/UI and Sound System
      to Enhance Home Entertainment or Works Effectively as a Highly Portable Speaker

SEOUL, Mar. 8, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) announces the global launch of the LG StanbyME Speaker (model XT7S), the company’s latest portable speaker which works in harmony with an LG StanbyME lifestyle screen or as a standalone speaker that can be taken anywhere.
      Designed to enrich both indoor and outdoor entertainment, LG StanbyME Speaker’s compelling audio quality and remarkable versatility caters to the diverse lifestyles and preferences of today’s users. Ideal for design-conscious individuals who relish streaming content and music at home or on the go, this speaker hit the market in Korea and the U.S. and will be made available in more regions later.
      Engineered to offer the complete entertainment experience when combined with a StanbyME screen, this speaker features seamless, intuitive pairing and control through the remote control that comes with the StanbyME screen. This allows users to effortlessly toggle their speaker and screen on and off with a single press, while also seamlessly connecting them via Bluetooth. LG StanbyME also boasts a dedicated widget with convenient one-stop control center and an overview of the speaker’s status.
      To further elevate audio-visual pleasure through audio quality, LG StanbyME Speaker’s WOW Orchestra feature combines it with the StanbyME screen’s built-in audio system, creating a unified audio setup and delivering an outstanding sound experience. What’s more, LG StanbyME’s α (Alpha) 7 Gen 6 AI processor optimizes sound by content type, while the 20-millimeter dual tweeters on the StanbyME speaker deliver clear, highly detailed high frequency stereo sound. The dual passive radiator on this speaker also creates deeper, more compelling bass.
      Offering multifaceted versatility, the all-new StanbyME speaker can seamlessly complement the StanbyME screen or be used as a standalone speaker anywhere, providing users with the remarkable level of flexibility that serves all their sound entertainment needs. Thanks to a dedicated cradle, the speaker attaches to LG StanbyME effortlessly, allowing users to place it in the perfect position for enhanced sound.
      Moreover, with an IPX5 rating and up to 16 hours of playback, this portable speaker ensures consistent audio performance everywhere they go. With its compact and lightweight body (78-millimeter height, 326-millimeter width, 87-millimeter depth and 0.9 kilograms), LG StanbyME Speaker can be carried from one place to another with ease, while its ‘edge lighting’ feature offers eye-pleasing lighting effects that add a subtle yet visually captivating element to lift the mood and atmosphere of any setting or occasion.
      LG StanbyME Speaker is currently available from LG.com website in Korea and the U.S. and is scheduled to roll out in other major markets worldwide.
      # # #