Quantcast

PreCentral: Novacom USB communication toolset released to open source

Novacom USB communication toolset released to open source

Today saw yet another release along the

link hidden, please login to view
, with Novacom and Novacomd finding their way onto GitHub. The two pieces comprise a generic communication toolset used to communicate between a host (your computer) and embedded device (your webOS device) over USB. It's what allows the webOS SDK and programs like WebOS Quick Install to access the device over a USB connection without having to put the device into USB Mode. Plus there's the fact that USB mode doesn't allow access to the file system.

Novacom has been distributed as part of the webOS SDK and webOS Doctors since what seems like the beginning of time, and was released as a separate downloadable executable a while back as well. The separate release, while not open source, enabled WebOS Quick Install to get by without downloading the entire webOS Doctor just to be able to extract Novacom to install a single app or patch.

There are two parts to the release, Novacom and Novacomd. The latter is the service that runs on both the host and the target device, while Novacom is the command line user interface that provides a human-accessible way to access that service. With both now out in open source, the webOS developer community (and the developer community at large) is free to enhance, fix, and repurpose the two as they see fit.

The release of Novacom nearly closes out the , with just LevelDB and MojoDB/DB8 left for the month. Major releases for March have included the and the , both of which will go a long way towards opening up Open webOS to installation on a wide range of devices. There's still a lot to go on the roadmap, but despite what feels like near , Open webOS is still making progress.

Update: HP has also released to open source the . It's aparently "a work in progress and not currently buildable," though that is expected to soon change. DB8 first step in incorporating LevelDB databases into Open webOS.

mf.gif

a2t.img1Ia9_FkqwtU

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Renver
      Hi,
      When i power on my OLED55C8PLA TV it always starts at the source 'SET UP BOX' even there is no set up box connected. We only use HDMI2. That is also always the used source when we power down the TV. Its quite anoying the TV doesnt starts the input last used.
      I hope someone can help me with this issue!
      Thanks!
    • By Devaraj
      Whenever I debug the application with VSCode extention with latest version of WebOS_CLI, always devtools.html has been opened..., why? Even I edit the URL is also not working (devtools.html to inspect.html)
      URL: link hidden, please login to view
      Please help me, how to I rectify it.

• By LG user1
      I can't open settings on my LG B9 55" either from the remote (results in black screen) or from menu system (same). Also, when I click on any streaming app, nothing happens although the buttons on the remote otherwise work. I would like to try a factory reset, but can't do this without accessing the system menu. If you know how to factory reset without the menu or otherwise know a fix, please let me know!
    • By tim p
      I have two LG C2 tv's both running OS 03.21.30. Attempts to update the OS state that this is the current version as of 12/2022.  Amazon Music won't open on either of them, the splash screen appears and that's it, for hours.  It opens fine on other devices in the house, Sony TV, PC's, and droid phones. Other streaming apps work fine with no buffering or glitches.
      The solutions offered online list instructions for clearing app caches using a series of menus that aren't even remotely close to the menus available on these TV's.  I've checked every available menu and there's absolutely nothing offering the ability to clear app caches. App Manager offers exactly two options: Launch or Delete. Others insist that you need to clear the cache from within the app but of course the app won't open so that's a dead end.  I did clear the browser cache but it had no effect this AMZN Music problem.
      So far I've also:
      Deleted and re-installed the app multiple times; Left the TV's unplugged 24+ hours; Full reboot of the router multiple times; Factory Reset of the TV's. If anyone has a solution that doesn't involve buying a fire stick I'm very interested - thanks
      (edit) one of these tv's is five feet from the router.  Distance isn't the issue.
    • By viewer
      Ever since our last software upgrade, to 04.41.35, when the TV and cable are powered on, it no longer just defaults to HDMI1 like we need it to.  So LG menus come up and linger there for several minutes -- and *maybe* it goes to HDMI1 Ithen.  I know i can grab the TV clicker to arrow my way to the connect, or perhaps hit exit, but used to NOT need the TV clicker for this case.  Is there a way to have it assume the correct connect?  Or go back to the previous, unbroken software version? Thanks!