Quantcast

PreCentral: Novacom USB communication toolset released to open source

News Reporter

Novacom USB communication toolset released to open source

Today saw yet another release along the

link hidden, please login to view
, with Novacom and Novacomd finding their way onto GitHub. The two pieces comprise a generic communication toolset used to communicate between a host (your computer) and embedded device (your webOS device) over USB. It's what allows the webOS SDK and programs like WebOS Quick Install to access the device over a USB connection without having to put the device into USB Mode. Plus there's the fact that USB mode doesn't allow access to the file system.

Novacom has been distributed as part of the webOS SDK and webOS Doctors since what seems like the beginning of time, and was released as a separate downloadable executable a while back as well. The separate release, while not open source, enabled WebOS Quick Install to get by without downloading the entire webOS Doctor just to be able to extract Novacom to install a single app or patch.

There are two parts to the release, Novacom and Novacomd. The latter is the service that runs on both the host and the target device, while Novacom is the command line user interface that provides a human-accessible way to access that service. With both now out in open source, the webOS developer community (and the developer community at large) is free to enhance, fix, and repurpose the two as they see fit.

The release of Novacom nearly closes out the , with just LevelDB and MojoDB/DB8 left for the month. Major releases for March have included the and the , both of which will go a long way towards opening up Open webOS to installation on a wide range of devices. There's still a lot to go on the roadmap, but despite what feels like near , Open webOS is still making progress.

Update: HP has also released to open source the . It's aparently "a work in progress and not currently buildable," though that is expected to soon change. DB8 first step in incorporating LevelDB databases into Open webOS.

mf.gif

a2t.img1Ia9_FkqwtU

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Brendanchatt
      Hello all,

From what I can tell, this may not be supported anymore.  I am on webOS TV Version 7.1.0-68 (mullet-maria).

I just purchased an OLED 42 inch C2.  When I select Multiview, the two hdmi ports are not an available combination.  

I have turned of CEC (now SIMPLINK) for both HDMI inputs as I read in a post from 2018.

Thank you,
      Brendan
    • By Alex Ukraine
      Hi, I have a problem with setting area option for my TV LG C2 (now all app are locked). I bought it in Poland and after transferring to Ukraince I can`t change area option, due this a also have a problems with apps and lg store. Could you please help me))
    • By News Reporter
      To Give Corporate Customers the Level of Protection they Demand, Company is
      Applying Reliable Anti-Eavesdropping System to Latest Digital Signage Solutions

SEOUL, Aug. 11, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) is introducing an innovative eavesdropping detection solution for its commercial signage products. Going forward, the cutting-edge security system will be applied to the company’s flagship models, including LG LED All-in-One, LG LED Bloc and LG MAGNIT, as well as select video walls and UHD signage products supporting webOS 4.1.
      As demand for commercial signage products expands across multiple industries, so does the need for related technologies that serve the needs of companies operating in different sectors. Although counter-surveillance is important in every sector, some entities such as corporates, government agencies, national institutions and the military prioritize confidentiality and the protection of personal information. LG, in partnership with high-tech security technology provider
      link hidden, please login to view, has addressed this growing need by installing a dedicated app that runs with GITSN’s eavesdropping detection terminal in LG’s smart signage platform, webOS. The new eavesdropping detection function displays a warning icon on screen in real time as soon as it detects any abnormal signal. The system utilizes simple icons to keep attendees updated on just how secure they are at all times. Moreover, LG’s webOS-based detection function, which can cover multiple conference/control rooms at once, analyzes every inch of a potential risk fast and accurately to alert those in charge immediately.
      “LG’s newest solution detects various potential, unexpected risks and reports it immediately, while also bringing the company’s security management up to date,” said Paik Ki-mun, senior vice president and head of the Information Display business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. “LG will continue to introduce the high-definition display solutions that not only express the most vivid colors and clear images to date, but also let consumers feel safe while they use them.”
      The latest signage solution will be available in the third quarter of 2022, starting with key markets in Middle East and Asia, with other markets to follow.
      # # #

• By majorusa
      Please post here firmware number for your WebOS set including your country or the country where you downloaded the firmware and the model of your tv set:
      - 3.23.24 - Romania- 47LB730v
      - 3.23.34 - Romania -47LB730v - 21.08.2014 by USB
      - 4.30.09 - Romania - 47LB730v - 29.08.2014 - OTA
    • By GiovanniG
      Hi! Thank you for your kind help
      I'm looking for a way to show an IP camera to LG TV, I've updated it to the latest version (WebOS).
      I really hope it is possible without buying an external HDMI box, there is any way to obtain that or install apps from USB? Thank you a lot!