Quantcast

Enter Home Button from Sling TV app, but Sling TV immediately Re-starts

jkester

Question

Sling TV is my default app on my LG TV.   Everything  was working fine until today.  Now when I hit the HOME button on the remote, the TV correctly returns to the HOME page, but then immediately re-launches Sling TV before I have an opportunity to select a different app (for example, Netflix).   This cycle repeats itself every time I enter HOME while in the Sling TV app.  The only way I can return to HOME without Sling TV automatically relaunching is to manually select a different input (e.g., HDMI one or LIVE Team), and then enter HOME and it will correctly stay in HOME until another app is selected.  I've tried resetting the TV  and I've tried deleting/adding Sling TV.  I have the latest WebOS update.  This may have started after downloading a recent Sling TV app?  Not sure.  Any suggestions appreciated.

25 answers to this question

I am having the same issue.  I have tried re-installing slingtv without luck.

If you open another service such as Disney or Amazon prime and then go Home\Dashboard then it will stay there.  But if you go to sling then Home then sling will reopen automatically.  Huge pain.  I am considering doing a factory reset but trying to avoid it as it may not even work.

• Like 1

Regarding SlingTV automatically relaunching itself when magic remote Home button is pressed, I tried a factory reset twice with no luck.  I also tried removing the power plug and holding in the TV power button for 60 seconds.  I tried reinstalling Sling TV several times.  Nothing worked.  Costco Tech Concierge advised me to return the TV (I am within the 90 days), but I will try to contact LG Tech Support tomorrow.  I will post what I find out.  

Signing out of Sling, or deleting the Sling app will allow you to go to the Home Screen like normal but as soon as you sign back-in to Sling, or relaunch the app, the loop starts again. So, it is only a temporary fix.

If you launch Netflix from your remote keypad then go to the Home button, that seems to work too - until you relaunch Sling. 

I think this issue started after the last Sling update.

• Like 2

I called LG today.  The tech had me change the location in settings to Canada, restart, and then back to US.  That did not help.  Then he was going to have me do a factory reset (which I already had done twice before the call), and so I asked him what he would have me do next if the factory reset did not work.  He said he didn't know, upon which I asked him to please check if others were reporting this issue (it did not help that he never heard of SlingTV).  After about 5 minutes on hold, he came back and said other customers have complained about this issue and factory reset (which includes signing out of SlingTV) did not help either.  The technician said they will elevate the problem to the LG software engineers to work this out with SlingTV.  Bottomline: LG tech support was not able to resolve the issue for me.  Hopefully a future update will resolve the problem.  

• Like 2

To all those having this issue of SlingTV hijacking WebOS, I encourage you to please call LG Support and let them know so they are aware of the issue.  Unless folks complain, it may not be addressed in the next WebOS update.  LG USA Support can be reached at 1-800-243-0000.  Tell the support tech that many others are having this same problem on the LG Forum and to document your case.  Factory reset and deleting/reinstalling the SlingTV will not resolve the issue because SlingTV app takes over as soon as it is re-installed.   If you purchased your TV at Costco, don't waste your time contacting their concierge service.  They will just tell to contact LG support.  I have not tried calling SlingTV support. 

I discovered the same issue yesterday.  I tried contacting LG, leaving my number for a call back, but I never received a call.  I contacted SLING, and they said they had not heard of the problem.  Further, they stated it could not possibly be due to their app; it had to be an LG issue.

Is anyone aware of a resolution?

• Like 1

I’ve had the same problem but I don’t think it’s the sling app because if I’m watching live local channels (I have an an antenna plugged in) and go home it automatically switches back to the local channels.  Same if I’m with sling it switches to sling. 

This issue happens to me too. Sling is set to my "Watch TV" input option and if it's chosen it's like herpes - you can't get rid of it. The only thing that works is to quickly choose any other app when you press the home button and have 2 seconds to do this. 

I actually think it's an LG issue because as someone else said I entered the same kind of loop one other time with the antenna channels. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By David Daul
      My magic remote and my Roku remote stopped working for turning off power so I performed a factory reset after troubleshooting to get the remote working.  I am now stuck at the 1st screen of the Factory Reset which says "Press the OK Button(wheel) on your remote."  Well... this really stinks because the remote doesn't work!!!  I have tried a USB mouse, a new magic remote, other LG Remotes with no luck.  I have also tried using the button on the bottom of the tv.  And, I contacted support which was just an exercise in redoing everything I had already tried... No Luck!!
      This is a Nano Cell 55NANO81ANA which is basically just a big brick now since I cannot even use any of the inputs.  Does anyone have a trick for getting past this initial screen???
      Thanks for the help.
    • By News Reporter
      LG first incorporated Wi-Fi modules into its home appliances over a decade ago, and since then, the company has continued to enhance home living with its groundbreaking innovations. A leader in the fast-growing AI home appliance market, LG is now applying its proprietary on-device AI chip – the ‘DQ-C’ – to its latest lifestyle solutions, infusing them with the unique power of ‘Affectionate Intelligence.’
      Introduced by CEO William Cho at CES 2024, Affectionate Intelligence underscores LG’s commitment to delivering differentiated customer experiences via cutting-edge AI technology that is more caring, empathetic and attentive.

Affectionate Intelligence is built on three pillars: Real-time Life Intelligence, drawing insights from real-life data gleaned from our global LG smart products and diverse IoT devices; Orchestrated Intelligence, seamlessly coordinating the operation of interconnected devices in alignment with customer preferences and intentions; and Responsible Intelligence, ensuring secure learning and adaptation, upholding privacy and integrity while delivering personalized experiences.

Enhancing Convenience with an Expanded ‘Affectionate Intelligence’ Lineup
      LG’s expanded Affectionate Intelligence home appliance lineup now boasts 11 product categories: air conditioners, washing machines, dryers, Styler, air purifiers, robot vacuums, refrigerators, electric ranges, dishwashers, water purifiers and TVs.

Launched earlier this year in South Korea, the Affectionate Intelligence stand-type air conditioner offers unparalleled comfort with enhanced ‘AI Smart Care,’1 a feature that detects the user’s location in real time and automatically adjusts airflow directionality, intensity and temperature. Another innovative addition is the WashCombo all-in-one washer and dryer, which selects the optimal drum motions from LG’s 6Motion technology to gently yet thoroughly care for user’s laundry2 after analyzing each load’s weight, humidity level and fabric types.
      Looking ahead, LG plans to evolve its Affectionate Intelligence into a generative AI-based service that extends beyond the smart home to diverse sectors and spaces, including mobility and online.

LG’s AI Home Appliances: From Wi-Fi Modules to Hyper-Personalized ThinQ UP 2.0
      In 2011, LG became the first manufacturer to apply Wi-Fi modules to its home appliances. Six years later, in 2017, the company expanded Wi-Fi connectivity to most of its appliance lineups, introducing the LG ThinQ brand and ushering in the era of AI home appliances.
      In January 2022, LG elevated customization and convenience with the launch of ThinQ UP, allowing the addition of new features to compatible LG appliances based on the analysis of customers’ usage patterns and habits. ThinQ UP home appliances operate intelligently, reducing the time and effort associated with household chores. They also offer flexible subscription options along with the ability to add new user-friendly services. With 336 downloadable ThinQ UP features now available3 – and more being added regularly – users can continually update their existing appliances for a tailored, always-evolving customer experience.
      Last year, LG signaled the beginning of a new era for AI appliances with the South Korean debut of ThinQ UP 2.0. This latest smart life solution from the company offers hyper-personalization with advanced, new features plus a range of subscription services from LG and various partner companies.

Dedicated On-Device AI Chip Lineup and Expanded Application
      In July 2023, after more than three years of research and development, LG revealed the DQ-C chip – a sophisticated on-device AI chip – and a brand-new operating system for home appliances. Last year, the company also established an organization specifically tasked with developing the next-generation of AI chips for future Affectionate Intelligence home appliances. This forms part of LG’s strategy to diversify its growing portfolio of state-of-the-art AI chips, and to bring the many benefits and advantages of AI-powered performance and features to more customers.

With ‘Affectionate Intelligence’ and impressive core technologies, LG has solidified its position as a global leader in the home appliances industry, and cemented its reputation as a smart life solutions company.
      # # #
      1 Products capabilities are currently available in Korean region only.
      2 Availability for products, features and home services may vary depending on model and region.
      3 Availability for products, features and home services may vary depending on model and region.

link hidden, please login to view
    • By JonoW
      Has anyone else had the same problem as me regarding the 'like' button on the YouTube app on my Oled77g7v? There is a thumbs up button and a thumbs down button for each video. These icons are supposed to be just an outline unless you click on them and then they fill in to show you have selected them. However, this no longer works on my TV. It is as if you never clicked. In fact, the 'like' icon is always pre_filled, no matter what I do. This used to work properly and it still works correctly on a Sony TV I have. Any ideas would be very welcome! 
    • By Marko00
      I've bought OLED55CX3LA and have screenshare errors ever since. 
      I'm using Dell machine with Windows 10 onboard.
      Almost every time I try to connect using "connect with remote screen" windows option, I get the pop up that
      only with cancel button.

Sometimes there is approval button but mostly I have only "cancel" option. 
      Have this error on OLED55CX3LA and one older model. Same behavior. 

Mobile screen sharing working perfectly fine.

How to fix it?
      I've cleared the connection history but without any success.
      Not sure if I should put it on warranty or if there is some simple fix?

• By News Reporter
      New LG NOVA Digital Health Venture Aims to
      Enable Providers to Offer Patients Personalized Home Care  

SEOUL, May 14, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) has unveiled “Primefocus Health,” a new venture that aims to leverage innovative technologies and new healthcare therapies to enable providers to deliver a personalized, complete care experience and empower individuals to take control of their health at home.
      link hidden, please login to view is the first new venture launched by LG NOVA, LG Electronics North America Innovation Center. This new provider-focused, patient-centric healthcare platform intends to give patients access to new healthcare therapies made available by innovative technology applications, as well as providers access to patient data and progress information to help ensure that their patients are on the right path to better health.
      Healthcare providers are under pressure to improve patient care and reduce readmissions and patient and provider costs. However, according to the National Institutes of Health, more than USD 52.4 billion is spent annually to care for patients who were readmitted to the hospital within 30 days for a previously treated condition.
      To help reduce these costs and enable better personalized care, Primefocus Health plans to develop a remote monitoring and healthcare delivery platform, using innovative non-invasive technology for tracking patient progress for multiple medical conditions, which can be integrated with the provider’s electronic health record system, artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities for ease of use. The platform aims to empower healthcare providers to effectively manage outcomes, assist, guide, communicate and intervene when needed to deliver quality care.
      “LG Electronics has a longstanding, trusted reputation with consumers in homes worldwide, and in unveiling Primefocus Health we are seeking to build on that history as we ask consumers to trust us, in collaboration with their providers, with their healthcare management as well,” said Darren Sabo, CEO of Primefocus Health. “Primefocus Health is committed to leveraging the latest technology to revolutionize patient care at home, leading toward a future of personalized, accessible, and effective care.”
      As an LG NOVA-backed company, Primefocus Health brings the high-quality, innovative experience of the LG brand to healthcare. For providers, the Primefocus Health platform will be designed to enable them to extend their care beyond the hospital to the home with the objective of reducing the strain on the provider to keep their patients healthy.
      “LG NOVA is dedicated to building businesses that drive positive change and enhance people’s lives,” said Sokwoo Rhee, executive vice president of innovation at LG Electronics and head of LG NOVA. “We recognize that technology can play a key role in the transformation of patient care and the healthcare industry at large, and we are committed to leading that charge with Primefocus Health. We look forward to seeing its impact on transforming home healthcare for patients and providers alike.”
      # # #