Quantcast

webOSroundup: Review: Archive Manager

News Reporter

link hidden, please login to view
App:

Developer: pcworldSoftware
Price: $1.99

Archive Manager is a long-awaited app for webOS.  I know many people who have been waiting on an app that will archive (and un-archive) zip and tar files especially. I love this app, and love the idea. And at $1.99, it really isn’t all that expensive for what you get. Let’s get into the review.

Initial Setup

The initial setup of the app is pretty straight forward. You just click the nice little button that says, “I’ve read this.. Stop annoying me”. Ahh, you have to love the humor that a developer has when creating his app.

UI

The UI is also pretty straight forward. If you’ve used pcworldSoftware’s , then the scenes will look very familiar to you. As soon as you open the app, you are presented with a filepicker. From the filepicker scene, you can either enter a folder, chose a folder to be archived, chose some files to be archived, or un-archive an already archived file. The archiving scene is also very nice and well laid out. It has a very nice and easy to understand UI. I knew how to work the app the first time I picked it up.

Function

This app fills a big void in the webOS users life (for those of us who deal with archives on a daily basis). It has the ability to extract and create ZIP, RAR, 7z, tar, gzip, bzip2, ISO and many more archive file types while on the go. I can now send someone a zip file of 30 pictures and not have to chose each picture from a list in the email app on my phone! The developer is looking at creating a homebrew service that will allow entire device access including files and folders.

Pros
  • Supports multiple file types (e.g.  ZIP, RAR, 7z, tar, gzip, bzip2, ISO and many more)
  • Not super expensive
  • Active developer who responds quickly

Cons

• Didn’t come sooner :)

Bottom Line

The bottom line is, if you use archives, even just every once in a while, I would buy this app. Show your support for future development, and get a very nice tool as well. At only $1.99, it won’t break the bank purchasing it either!

PMNL8obQF3I

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.