Quantcast

[pivotCE]TCL’s Palm phone will run android…duh

Palm_logo_2005.png?resize=480%2C480

Android Police broke the story earlier today that sometime in the 2nd quarter this year.  And surprise…it runs Android.

Sadly that’s all we know for now.

It’s taken TCL a long time to do anything with the Palm brand.  We first talked about it . It started as an unveil of sorts at CES in 2015 when they had purchased the Palm brand and they’d be crowd-sourcing from “Palm’s very own community” what to do with it.  No idea what they meant by that… They even launched a website placeholder that directed palm.com to mynewpalm.com. Both of which are no longer doing anything. But trust me when I say I’ll be hammering the refresh button for the near future on palm.com.

Fun fact:  This topic was also the written on the now silent webOSNation.com to give you a reference for how long it took TCL to do something!

At any rate, I’m glad the wheels are turning and I’ll hold judgement until I see what they release though the carrier exclusivity announcement makes my eye twitch. But I agree with Mr. Bohn.

The fact that TCL is partnering with Verizon to make the new Palm-branded phone is too much.

Literally the carrier that put the dagger in the heart of webOS by pulling support is going to get a nostalgia bait money grab device likely filled with bloat

— Dieter Bohn (@backlon)

Even former Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein knew and the remnants of Palm. “I think the deal we had with Verizon really hurt us, but who knew that at the time? These things are all hindsight.

TCL can use hindsight for historical evidence though. Hopefully they’re crunching the numbers…

#PalmForever

The post first appeared on .

Related posts:

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Similar Topics

• By ironmonkey
      Just bought an LGLED-65UJ630 65INCH TV. Right away I started to get the message "This app will now restart to free up more memory". After searching the internet and forums, I now understand that this problem is huge, it has been going on for years now and it is right across many models of LG TV's.
      I have tried everything to fix this problem. It has the latest firmware. I did the factory reset and that lasted 4 hours before I got the message back. I turn off the TV and leave it for 10 minutes, maybe one hour later I get the message. I delete browsing history, maybe 10 minutes and I get the message..... you get the message.
      As I understand it, the problem is that LG TV's don't have enough internal memory, but they have shipped a ton of their "smart" TV's with this problem.
      My question is, has anybody heard anything from anybody, anywhere about a solution to this problem. I really want to keep this TV, but it is not fit for purpose in this state.     
    • By News Reporter
      LG Reassures Current and Future Customers
      Following Announcement to Withdraw from Mobile Industry

SEOUL, Apr. 8, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) announced today that all premium LG smartphones currently in use will receive up to three iterations of Android operating system updates from the year of purchase.
      This promise comes on the heels of the announcement earlier this week that LG will be exiting the mobile business by the end of July. The three OS update guarantee applies to LG premium phones released in 2019 and later (G series, V series, VELVET, Wing) while certain 2020 models such as LG Stylo and K series will receive two OS updates.*
      LG will continue to manufacture phones through the second quarter to meet contractual obligations to carriers and partners. This means customers can still purchase LG mobile phones currently in inventory and service support and security software updates will continue to be provided for a period of time for certain devices. Customers should contact their local for additional details.
      # # #
      * Future updates will depend on Google’s distribution schedule as well as other factors such as device performance and compatibility.

• By News Reporter
      SEOUL, Apr. 7, 2021 — LG Electronics Inc. (LG) today announced its preliminary earnings results for the first quarter of 2021.
      LG reported tentative consolidated revenues of KRW 18.8 trillion in the first quarter of 2021 with an operating profit of KRW 1.5 trillion. Revenue and operating profit increased 27.7 percent and 39.2 percent, respectively, from the same quarter the previous year.
      Both quarterly revenue and operating profit are the highest in the company’s history.
      These figures are the tentative consolidated earnings based on K-IFRS provided as a service to investors prior to LG Electronics’ final earnings results including net profit. Details regarding each division which will be announced officially later this month.
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      Stepping Away from Phone Manufacturing and Sales Enables Company
      to Focus on Growth Sectors Including EVs, IoT and B2B Solutions

SEOUL, April 5, 2021 — LG Electronics Inc. (LG) announced that it is closing its mobile business unit. The decision was approved by its board of directors earlier today.
      LG’s strategic decision to exit the incredibly competitive mobile phone sector will enable the company to focus resources in growth areas such as electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, artificial intelligence and business-to-business solutions, as well as platforms and services.
      LG will provide service support and software updates for customers of existing mobile products for a period of time which will vary by region. LG will work collaboratively with suppliers and business partners throughout the closure of the mobile phone business. Details related to employment will be determined at the local level.
      Moving forward, LG will continue to leverage its mobile expertise and develop mobility-related technologies such as 6G to help further strengthen competitiveness in other business areas. Core technologies developed during the two decades of LG’s mobile business operations will also be retained and applied to existing and future products.
      The wind down of the mobile phone business is expected to be completed by July 31 although inventory of some existing models may still be available after that.
      # # #

• By sagar
      I am trying to play multiple video at a time using html video player but issue is  only 1 video is able to play
      is there any solution ?