Quantcast

LG Magic remote MR18BA not working

oscarodas

Question

Magic remote stopped working after tv was taken to a different place, I have reset the tv a few times, remote has new batteries, the method to de-register and register doesn't work, all buttons work except the ones labelled: Netflix, amazon, Live zoom, and the microphone. When i press the microphone button I get the following message: Press OK to register theMagic Remote with your tv, when I do it I get the message: Only specific remote model can be paired.

My tv is an Oled55B6T, and according to LG the magic Remote MR18BA.

If is not possible to get it working I would like to get rid of the annoying message: "Only specific remote model can be paired." It shows up everytime I change channels or do any other funtion like choosing to watch Netflix or Youtube, etc.

3 answers to this question

@oscarodas The magic remotes split the button functions between regular Infra-Red (for power, volume and the other defined buttons that you have that work), but the others rely on BlueTooth technology, similar to how a PC Wireless Mouse communicates. There is a very small circuit board inside (about 2 inches square), that is a Combo card, supplying both the Bletooth AND the WiFi functions. I had mine fail a few months back, after a storm. I have a spare card, but I have not bothered to replace it yet, as I found a workaround (see below):

I downloaded the "LG TV PLUS" app into my smart phone, and it works as a very good replacement for those lost functions. I beleive this works for most Android and Apple phones. Small learning cureve, but generally easy to use, so long as your TV is on the home network. If the card has failed completely (so no WiFi as well), try using a LAN cable direct to your router. 

@td47. Thank you, I installed the app and it works like a charm, i will test it a little more, but still I have the problem of the constant message at the top of the screen remaining me about the remote, I have tried every possible fix suggested in the net, even pulled the remote apart and cleaned with alcohol wipes to no avail, do you think that buying a new remote will solve the problem? they range from 54 to 77 AU. When you mention the small card, you mean the one inside the remote?  Thanks.

@oscarodas While it IS possibly  a remote fault, I would think it is MUCH more likely to be the Bluetooth functionality failing inside the TV. The little combo card is inside the TV. If you know what you are doing, it is easy to replace (take back cover off TV, locate the little card, unplug cable, carefully put in the new card, plug the little ribbon cable plug back in). If still under warrantee, try to get it done via LG service.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.