Quantcast

Time Machine II - Is Magic Remote an absolute requirement?

datdarndot

Question

I have a one year-old model 43UK6500AUA, with standard remote only (no Magic Remote). I can find no mention anywhere of Time Machine. Does this model not include Time Machine  II functionality? Must one have a Magic Remote to reveal this feature? I am also baffled by numerous references in the forum to using HDMI , which should not be necessary if using the TV's built-in tuner, as I intend to do. There is also mention of using USB3 for the external HDD. My TV has only  two  USB ports USB1 and USB2 — or does this refer to USB 3.0 version (as opposed to USB 2.0)?

3 answers to this question

@datdarndot The USB2 ports will be fine for any good HDD plugged in a free slot. If one of them (or both) are blue colour inside, this is USUALLY a sign that it is USB3.0 spec, but as I said, it will work in a usb 2.0 port as well. Don't get confused by the port NUMBERS (1 or 2 etc), it does NOT refer to the  spec or speed capability only the actual port number as a handy referecne to the ones being used at any time.

TIME Machine II - all the ones I looked at recently said they are "Time Machine II compatible",so just try connecting an HDD disk into the USB, follow the prompts to format it. Tme Machine should then be ready to go.

Edited by td47
Typo

@datdarndot apologies - I checked the spec of your specific model, and it does NOT mention Time Machine in the specs, like it does on many others. However, under the main sections at:

link hidden, please login to view

it quotes this in the "Simply Smart" section (That DOES imply that you need a Smart Remote), BUT DOES also mention a recording capability. You might need to clarify this with the store you purchased from:

"webOS™ 4.0 is a simple Smart operating system to use with our Magic Remote and refined launcher bar. Enjoy many of the features using just our intelligent voice recognition, quickly get to the apps you want, zoom in and record what's on your screen, connect to any Bluetooth device and even use your TV as a music player."