Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

davexnet

Normal operation of "Energy Saving" setting

Question

TV: 2017 model 49UJ6500

When you reset the A/V (mute button 3 times), you see the default for non-HDR is "Auto" and default

for HDR is "off".  When you switch back and forth between HDR and non-HDR this energy saving setting is

switched automatically.

I quite like "Auto" for regular material (non-HDR) it does a good job.  On the other hand,

the setting of "Off" for HDR is terrible, especially with Amazon Prime.  The bright highlights are too bright

and the dark shadow area's are a murky grey.  Cannot really compensate with backlight, contrast

or brighness adjustments, it's ineffective for this problem.  However, to compensate for this TV's mediocre

contrast range (very obvious in HDR), you can set HDR Energy Saving to minimum or medium and you can make it watchable

The problem is, as soon as you do this, when you revert back to non-HDR material, it no longer automatically switches

back to Energy Saver "Auto", but it stays on the setting you used when HDR was active.

I don't know if this is a design limitation or some oversight in the firmware, but this is a big inconvenience.

I've got no idea if newer LG TV's also do this, but I would certianly check this prior to purchasing a newer LG TV.

If my conclusions about this "problem" are wrong, please enlighten me.

Thanks.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.