Quantcast

Normal operation of "Energy Saving" setting

Question

TV: 2017 model 49UJ6500

When you reset the A/V (mute button 3 times), you see the default for non-HDR is "Auto" and default

for HDR is "off".  When you switch back and forth between HDR and non-HDR this energy saving setting is

switched automatically.

I quite like "Auto" for regular material (non-HDR) it does a good job.  On the other hand,

the setting of "Off" for HDR is terrible, especially with Amazon Prime.  The bright highlights are too bright

and the dark shadow area's are a murky grey.  Cannot really compensate with backlight, contrast

or brighness adjustments, it's ineffective for this problem.  However, to compensate for this TV's mediocre

contrast range (very obvious in HDR), you can set HDR Energy Saving to minimum or medium and you can make it watchable

The problem is, as soon as you do this, when you revert back to non-HDR material, it no longer automatically switches

back to Energy Saver "Auto", but it stays on the setting you used when HDR was active.

I don't know if this is a design limitation or some oversight in the firmware, but this is a big inconvenience.

I've got no idea if newer LG TV's also do this, but I would certianly check this prior to purchasing a newer LG TV.

If my conclusions about this "problem" are wrong, please enlighten me.

Thanks.

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By jaculson
      I have a LG TV model: 47LB652V-ZA, webOS version 1.4.0-2523 (afro-ashley). Why isn't Spotify supported for this TV if its from 2014 and it says that devices from 2013 and onwards will be supported
    • By News Reporter
      Advanced Solar Panels Featuring N-type Half-cut Cells
      Deliver Industry-leading Power Output and Durability

SEOUL, Apr. 7, 2021 — The newest, advanced solar panel from LG Electronics (LG), featuring the company’s innovative N-type half-cut cells, delivers high power output and comes backed by a 25-year warranty. The LG NeON H solar panel is ideal for both residential and commercial applications as it offers carbon-free energy and long-lasting reliability in a package that delivers enhanced performance compared to the previous model.
      With the majority of solar panels on the market today employing positive-type cells, LG NeON H utilizes sophisticated negative N-type cells with a temperature coefficient of -.33 percent per degree Celsius.1 The bifacial cell structure of N-type cells also enables the cells to absorb sunlight from both the front and rear sides. As a result, the panel provides outstanding output, generating maximum 390W from its 120 cells while simultaneously minimizing power loss.2 The highly durable energy solution can withstand harsh weather conditions and is also resistant to light-induced degradation (LID), the loss of performance from exposure to sunlight in the initial hours after installation.3
      LG is the world’s first manufacturer to operate in-house solar testing facilities certified by two major international inspection and certification bodies – UL and TÜV Rheinland. Meeting industry-standard testing criteria, LG NeON H panels are guaranteed to operate at 90.6 percent of their original performance even after 25 years of continuous use.4
      “Our new NeON H solar panel is the most reliable and efficient renewable energy solution that LG has ever created,” said Kevin Kim, vice president and head of the energy business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. “As one of only a handful of manufacturers with the confidence to offer a quarter-century warranty on its solar products, LG is continuing its commitment to providing efficient, effective solutions that stand the test of time.”
      # # #
      1 Temperature coefficient verified based on internal accelerated test data.
      2 Certified by CSA Group, January 2021.
      3 Initial performance verified based on internal accelerated test data.
      4 25-year performance verified based on internal accelerated test data. Actual performance may vary depending on the environment or conditions of use.

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Samosa
      I am aware that there is a CC function on XUMO channels but that only toggles the subtitles on and off.  My problem is the subtitles for some reason is always left justified and not in the middle.  Also, I would like to change the font size.  The customized CC settings work for over-the-air channels but not for the internet channels.  Is there a way to set it?

Thank you.

• By hjetschko
      Hi, I have a feature request for the sound out setting. I often connect my Bluetooth headphones to the TV. We don't use the internal speaker of the TV, we use the optical sound out setting whenever I don't use Bluetooth. It would make our lives a lot easier if the TV can remember the last sound out setting before connecting to Bluetooth and default back to this setting when the Bluetooth device gets disconnected. At the moment, each time I disconnect the headphones I have to go back into settings and change the sound out setting from internal speaker to optical again. 
      Thanks and regards
      Hubert
    • By mkjn72
      I have successfully integrated my new  tv in my smarthome implementation, and can send events like button presses etc. Also I can see launch of applications and status ON in logfiles. But the level of detailing of events seems rather limited. I would like to proceed and trigger rule based automations like dim lights when play starts (netflix, amazon etc). In my previous setup (using an external chromecast) this was working fine, but unfortunately this TV does not seem to notify these kinds of statuses 😞
      Request: pls expand functionality so that webos/TV will broadcast its status in (much) more detail. is this possible, and if yes how?